PDA

View Full Version : ID this jointer?

Gary Gleave
12-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I have been looking at older jointers lately, and came across the add for this one.
It's a 16" unit and looks heavy duty, but I have no who the manufacture is.
If no one here knows, I'll call tomorrow and find out.

Ben Martin
12-01-2009, 11:42 PM
I would post this over on the OWWM forums, more likelihood of getting an answer there. It does have babbit bearings though, which may be an issue if you aren't a very hands-on type of person.

If the price is right, I would say go for it. :D

Jeff Willard
12-02-2009, 12:32 AM
It's a 16" unit and looks heavy duty,

Is there such thing as a "light duty" 16" jointer :rolleyes:.

Bruce Page
12-02-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't know what it is, but looking at the way the ways are cast and that HUGE fence, I'd bet it is a top of the line machine.

Gary Gleave
12-02-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't know if babbitt is an issue?
I think that old iron looks quite a bit beefier than the newer jointers of equal size.
The cutter head looks square to me, maybe switch it to a byrd.
So many things could be wrong on this thing.

george wilson
12-02-2009, 1:16 AM
That square head is exceedingly dangerous,and was outlawed even back in the 1950's,EXCEPT in school shops!!! Pros weren't allowed to use the in industrial shops!! Kids WERE!!

That head can suck your whole hand in. I wouldn't advise using it.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-02-2009, 2:18 AM
Looks to me like it did eat something, the infeed table is missing a chunk in front of the cutter head. Plan on a pretty intensive overhaul to bring it up to par. Could be great though. Can you see it in person?

Frank Drew
12-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Setting up a shop I'd definitely look first for older machinery, but I'd never, ever get a square head jointer unless I knew for certain that I'd be able to replace the head with a round one before having to put the machine into service, and that any replacement head I installed would perform up to par.

Gary Gleave
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
The jointer is a good 6-7 hour drive. We just happen to be going there for Christmas, and I might arrange a look, take some measurments. He also has old vintage 24" planer that he is looking to unload. He just wants these two machines out of shop/way.

David DeCristoforo
12-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Ditto on the square head. Babbitt bearings are not the greatest but not a "deal killer" if everything else is in order. But, as has already been mentioned, the tables and fence look pretty hammered. This machine will take a lot of work and not an insignificant amount of money to bring "up to par". As much as I like vintage machines, I would pass on this one unless it was virtually free....