PDA

View Full Version : Slack and Sellars saw

Jim R Edwards
12-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I purchased this saw and cannot find much information about it. It needs sharpened and more than likely tuned up. I was quoted 40 dollars plus shipping to have it resharpened and set up correctly. Is this saw from a reputable manufacture? Should I invest in refurbishing it or buy a new one?

Thanks,

Jim

David Gendron
12-01-2009, 10:50 PM
The Sellars in the name sound familiar... but it is hard to say, maybe a few pics would help in giving you more info!

Don McConnell
12-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi Jim,

Thomas Slack and William Sellars, of Sheffield, established Slack, Sellars & Co. in 1857 - a successor firm to Slack, Sellars & Grayson, which dated back to, at least, 1833 (possibly 1830). The firm became a Limited company in 1905 and continued in business until, at least, 1960. They were located in Townhead Works, first on Townhead Street then on Lancaster Street. So, yes, they were a reputable Sheffield firm with a long tenure.

Difficult, though, to assess the potential of any saw based solely on it's manufacturer. As David indicated, possibly some photos would help?

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

David Gendron
12-02-2009, 1:44 AM
This is great info Don!

Jim R Edwards
12-02-2009, 9:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I was finally able to post a picture.

David Gendron
12-03-2009, 1:29 AM
unfortunatly we can't blow up the picture! Maybe try to crank the resolution!
It look, from the size of the picture, like a nice saw, it seems clean and usable!