PDA

View Full Version : Glens Falls to Albany Thickness Sander

Tim Livingston
12-01-2009, 8:07 PM
Hello, I am new here but have lurked around for a while. Anyways I would like to see if there is anyone between Glens Falls and Albany that has a thickness or drum sander that can handle a 20 inch board? I am working on a top for a blanket chest and would love to have it just perfect. The chest is made from Mahogany and Maple and the Mahogany is from my Grandfather boat yard that he sold in 1948. Here is a picture of my work in progress and by the way it is my first big wood working project.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134101&stc=1&d=1259715800

scott spencer
12-01-2009, 8:23 PM
Tim - Do you know any of the Hogans in Hudson Falls? They have a good size planer in their family shop.

Ironically, last summer we went to South GF High School to see my niece play a baseball game. Over in the back corner of the parking lot sat an 18" Rockwell industrial type planer just sitting there deteriorating in the parking lot. It's probably worth saving but I just couldn't do it from 250 miles away.

BTW - The chest is looking really nice!

Tim Livingston
12-01-2009, 8:40 PM
I used to use all that equipment when I went to school there, the Jr. high had a huge old planer, probably weighed 500 lbs easy. I know some of the Hogans, I am assuming you mean the Milk Hogans?

scott spencer
12-01-2009, 8:57 PM
I used to use all that equipment when I went to school there, the Jr. high had a huge old planer, probably weighed 500 lbs easy. I know some of the Hogans, I am assuming you mean the Milk Hogans?

Are there any other Hogans? I think they represent 20% of the surrounding population, so the odds were good that you know of them! They have an 18 or 20" PM planer IIRC....someone had spilled a soda on the outfeed bed when I found it and wiped it up. :rolleyes: Bill married my SIL. I know who John, Pat, Cathy, "Craze", and some of the other brothers through Bill.

You should see if the HS will give you that planer.

Jon Endres
12-10-2009, 7:57 PM
There's a huge WW club in the Capital District, Northeastern Woodworker's Association. Their website is woodworker.org. You might try getting hold of someone through the website and see if they can help you. I am not a member anymore, although four years ago when I was, there were over 2000 members within 75 miles of Albany and I'm sure ONE of them has a big drum sander.

Tim Livingston
12-11-2009, 8:12 PM
Thanks Jon, I ended up doing it by hand but I will look into that more. So far so good but I have a few more coats of Watco to put on there. I remember seeing them at the show in Saratoga

Jon Endres
12-11-2009, 8:58 PM
I've missed the Saratoga show for the past two years, not gonna miss it again. If anything, it gets me out of the house for a whole day....