PDA

View Full Version : The legs have a home!

John Keeton
12-01-2009, 6:13 PM
With guidance and encouragement from this group, I completed a set of walnut legs, pics of which were posted in a prior thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124312).
They are for use in a table project, and some who posted expressed interest in seeing the finished table.

Well, it isn't quite finished, but close! This is what it looks like now -
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134086&thumb=1&d=1259705102 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134086&d=1259705102)
And, I have posted a few more pics in the Project forum in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=126068).

I realize that posting flat work here is sacrilege, but I am hoping the inclusion of the legs gets me a pass this time!:o

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2009, 6:23 PM
John,

This Mod won't edit, delete or hold it against you for posting this in the turning forum.

Beautiful work for your very first turning project!

Very nicely done Sir!

Robert McGowen
12-01-2009, 6:24 PM
Very nice John. Glad you are able to justify that lathe now!

David Christopher
12-01-2009, 7:09 PM
John, you have nice legs...LOL
I think they turned out professional

gary Zimmel
12-01-2009, 7:34 PM
As I said in the project forum John,

You are going to have another winner with this one....

Jim Rimmer
12-01-2009, 8:13 PM
I checked the Project Forum, too. Beautiful table.

charlie knighton
12-01-2009, 8:14 PM
very nice, i like your choice of woods

Barry Bruner
12-01-2009, 8:17 PM
John, you did a fantastic job on the hutch. It is different than most hutches that I have ran into and the walnut really sets it off. Now about your next project, what about a Pie crust tea table. I am fasinated with them. I have bought about $500.00 worth of chesils, dvd`s and plaster forms. I am having trouble finding 4" x 4" stock in cherry or walnut for the center column. At the speed that I am going, might have to finish it in the resthome. I always enjoy seeing your work. Barry Bruner

Tony De Masi
12-01-2009, 8:18 PM
Beautiful job John. Hope to see you posting more of your work in this forum.

Tony

John Keeton
12-01-2009, 8:52 PM
Thanks! I appreciate very much the acceptance you have given this "flatworker" and the tolerance that all of you show in this forum. There are truly artists here, and I don't feel that I could ever rise to that level. Compliments from this group are special!

Charlie K., walnut and maple (particularly curly maple) is my all time favorite combination. I am blessed to have a good stock of each.

Barry, I am not much into the pie crust table. It is a beautiful piece, but just doesn't do much for me. We built our present home 5 years ago, and designed it for the furniture we had accumulated. When I build a new piece, it essentially is a replacement for an existing piece as we do not have space for additional furniture. We have many Victorian pieces, and I am slowly "retiring" them - one at a time! I don't build without spousal agreement!! I may be able to help you on the 16/4 walnut, though.

Tony M., after this project is finished, I want to refine my turning skills, acquire a couple of Thompson tools, and possibly produce some more round stuff!! I do have another flat project taking shape back in the cerebral crevices, but it will be awhile. Thinking sassafras on this one....

alex carey
12-01-2009, 9:07 PM
Looking good glad you poster here.

Curt Fuller
12-01-2009, 9:36 PM
Well the only thing that could make that any prettier would be a nice walnut bowl sitting on it.;)

Jim Kountz
12-01-2009, 10:04 PM
My my what nice legs you have there John!! You already know how I feel about our walnut projects and this one is a sure winner. Excellent job!!

David E Keller
12-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Beautiful piece. The legs look fantastic. My only problem is that someone cut up perfectly good curly maple and walnut turning blanks to get the pieces for the flat parts... :eek:

Great job!

John Keeton
12-01-2009, 10:45 PM
My my what nice legs you have there John!!Jim, I had to do these to join the "walnut leg club!" Of course, my legs don't have nice knees like your cabriole legs!:D:D Yours have curves in all the right places - just somethin' sexy about that!

David, you are right on cutting up the wood, but it wasn't me - I swear! The guy before me is to blame.

Curt, I vote for a maple bowl to contrast with the walnut top! Maybe, just maybe......

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
John - you definitely have a sense of style!

Very impressive work - this and the hutch you posted. One of the interesting things about turning is it can be a stand alone project or married with flatwork to produce very unique items. You have the ability to envision designs that combine the best of both worlds and the end result is inspiring to turners as well as flatworkers!

Keep up the good work! Personally, I look forward to seeing more of your turnings because it is the one area I may yet be able to contribute!

Seriously, nice work! Thanks for sharing!