PDA

View Full Version : New to me Sawstop !! Motor 3 or 5hp ?

Gary Gleave
12-01-2009, 5:46 PM
After a lengthy conversation with three Sawstop representatives, I know I made the right purchase. Fantastic customer support.

I just pick up a new to me Sawstop CB industrial. The motor is a 5hp 3ph. I don't have 3 phase power.
I posted previously regarding 3ph rotary converters, and have decided not to go that route. Sawstop offers both 3hp and 5hp replacement motors for the same price ($300). If I choose the 5hp I also need a new contactor box ($100).
Is it a no brainer?
Just get the 5hp?

Don L Johnson
12-01-2009, 6:29 PM
When I purchased my Sawstop, I opted for the 5 hp. Folks I talked to, including other Sawstop owners, said 3 hp was enough, especially since I am only a hobbiest. It only cost an additional $200 (in your case, nothing), and the piece of mind has no regrets. I've never had it bog down, even with wenge and 8/4 walnut. Knowing me, if I would have purchased the 3 hp and it even slightly bogged down, I would have regrets. SO, I vote the 5 hp so you will never have regrets, rather real or preceived!

Rod Sheridan
12-01-2009, 6:53 PM
Hi Gary, I have a General 650, 3 HP.

I've never used the 3 HP yet, even when using the saw with a feeder.

In my opinion, the extra cost of the larger motor as well as the cost of the wiring is wasted money.

Congratulations on buying a SS, smart move on your part.

Regards, Rod.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-01-2009, 6:57 PM
The 3 and 5 horse are the same price? That is interesting. For the extra 100 bucks for the box, I'd say it's a no brainer to get the 5 horse. Yes, you only "need" the 3, but the 5 horse slows for nothing. Either way, you have a great saw. You won't be unhappy.

Matt Stiegler
12-01-2009, 7:03 PM
I agree with Rod, the extra 2 HP wouldn't be worth even $100 to me. Only reason I'd consider it would be if I was expecting to re-sell it.

Philip Rodriquez
12-01-2009, 7:56 PM
Interresting... I actually have a 3 HP ICS SawStop and I work with a lot of 8/4 material. Wenge, hard maple, bubinga, walnut, oak, etc. Never a problem.

I'll tell you that the extra $100.00 is a waste of money for a home shop (and I have over 5K invested in my ts).

Gary Gleave
12-01-2009, 8:06 PM
Thanks guys for the congrats, I have a 16 year old son starting to play with the tools, and the brake will give me piece of mind.
I was amazed the 3 hp and 5 hp were the same price. The diff would be $100 for the contactor that is only needed for the 5HP.
Don, you used that word "regret" three times, I do know what you mean. I doubt I would need more than the three, but.
Rod, do you ever get out west with your bike?

johnny means
12-01-2009, 11:06 PM
After a lengthy conversation with three Sawstop representatives, I know I made the right purchase. Fantastic customer support.

I just pick up a new to me Sawstop CB industrial. The motor is a 5hp 3ph. I don't have 3 phase power.
I posted previously regarding 3ph rotary converters, and have decided not to go that route. Sawstop offers both 3hp and 5hp replacement motors for the same price ($300). If I choose the 5hp I also need a new contactor box ($100).
Is it a no brainer?
Just get the 5hp?

is this replacement done on an exchange basis?

Gary Gleave
12-01-2009, 11:10 PM
is this replacement done on an exchange basis?
No exchange, full price. I am really impressed with the customer service.

Don Bullock
12-01-2009, 11:12 PM
When I purchased my Sawstop, I opted for the 5 hp. Folks I talked to, including other Sawstop owners, said 3 hp was enough, especially since I am only a hobbiest. It only cost an additional $200...and the piece of mind has no regrets. I've never had it bog down...Knowing me, if I would have purchased the 3 hp and it even slightly bogged down, I would have regrets. SO, I vote the 5 hp so you will never have regrets, rather real or preceived!

I agree with Don. That's exactly what I did and I have no regrets spending the extra $200.

Rod Sheridan
12-02-2009, 8:48 AM
Rod, do you ever get out west with your bike?

Yes, it depends on which rally we go to, or where we wish to vacation.......Rod.

Rick Alexander
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
You don't just pay for the 5 hp at the onset. Every time you crank up that 5 HP you burn a good bit more electricity than a 3. At idle and running stock it really doesn't use any more but every time you start it up it definitely does. That's paying a lot I think for the VERY few times you would ever need that extra 2 HP in my opinion.

I only say this because I have my shop on a separate panel than the house. When I went from a 1 1/2 HP dust collector to a 3 HP cyclone, I actually could see a pretty good increase in electric usage. Thank goodness I didn't opt for the 5 HP DC is all I can say. Granted I probably could save a little more by turning the DC off more but it gets on my nerves turning that thing on and off constantly and I understand it's not good for them to do that too much either.

Scott T Smith
12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I've had both 3 hp as well as 5 hp tablesaws, and my current saw is 5 hp.

Occasionally I cut 8/4 - 16/4 oak, and the extra HP comes in handy. If you are rarely if ever going to saw thick material, the 3 hp should be more than adequate, especially if you keep a sharp blade in it.

sean meltvedt
12-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Gary, I recently became a Sawstop PCS owner (I picked it up a month ago.) With my limited experience, I still have not been in a situation where I have needed/wanted more than the current 3HP. Based on this, I would vote for the 3HP motor.
On a side note, the PCS is a fantastic saw. Assembly instructions were very clear, customer support has been super.
Enjoy your new saw!
Cheers
Sean