PDA

View Full Version : spray equipment?

keith ouellette
12-01-2009, 4:33 PM
I am tired of my decent wood working being ruined by horrible finishing.

Right now I do have a cheep Hf hvlp gun I use with my compressor. The compressor is big enough but the gun I have has a large needle and I use it to spray latex. It throws out way to much oil base and would flood a work piece with something as thin as dye.

The Earlex 5000 is on sale in eagle catalog for $299 ($40 off reg)

I understand this is a fairly good spray system but I would be hard pressed to spend $300 but will if I have to.

Are there any other good ideas out there?

Maybe a different conversion gun. I was thinking of trying a HF mini hvlp gravity feed touchup gun for $40.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

Bill Arnold
12-01-2009, 4:39 PM
I have one of the HF gravity feed detail guns that I use a lot for small to medium projects. I've had no problem with it laying down a decent layer of dye, shellac or lacquer.

I also have a PC PSH1 and a Husky that work just fine.

Mike Reinholtz
12-01-2009, 7:11 PM
+1 for the husky gun. I found a great deal on a brand new Capspray 9100 over the weekend on CL, but prior to this system I have had pretty good luck with the husky as well. I think it was around $90 or so, it's not their cheaper gun but it works pretty good. I didn't have any issues with runs when spraying a water based General sealer.

Matt Meiser
12-01-2009, 7:23 PM
The Earlex gets great reviews and seems well made. But unless you've got a really junky HF gun, I'm more inclined to believe its technique. Why? I've been there. When I first started using my Porter Cable PSH1 I had a lot of trouble so I bought the Wagner gun Jim Becker has and highly recommends. After spraying with that, I realized I had the other gun so far misadjusted it wasn't funny. Once I dialed it in, it turned out I really liked it. Now I've got 2.

If you have an older 43430 gun, that's the same gun as the PSH1. Newer is similar, but not identical.

Rob Sack
12-01-2009, 8:22 PM
I would suggest Harbor Freight's best HVLP gravity feed gun, which is purple in color. It usually sells for around $39.00. Avoid the non HVLP gun. I use the HVLP all the time with great results. They are well made, spray beautifully, and are easy to clean. I also have a Sata set up with a 2 qt. pot, which is top of the line. But when I don't want to mess with filling the 2 qt. pot and then having to flush the lines, I reach for the Harbor Freight guns.

Phil Phelps
12-02-2009, 2:04 PM
[QUOTE=keith ouellette;1272245]I am tired of my decent wood working being ruined by horrible finishing.
It throws out way to much oil base and would flood a work piece with something as thin as dye.

You need an in line regulator between your gun and hose.

bruce buren
12-02-2009, 6:14 PM
Rob, is this the one from HF, the purple one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66222

Matt Meiser
12-02-2009, 6:21 PM
That looks like it. Apparently they've dropped the 43430 but that one looks to be the same.

Brent Grooms
12-02-2009, 8:06 PM

I just bought that gun last weekend and used it on a bedframe I have been working on. I still have some settings to get right but it seems to be right on track.

Rob Sack
12-03-2009, 6:58 PM

That looks like it, but I've always paid around $39.00 - 40.00 for it on sale.

Bill Arnold
12-04-2009, 9:38 AM

That's the one I have. I think it was $39 when I bought it.

Mike Wilkins
12-04-2009, 3:50 PM
Ditto on the Harbor Freight purple gun. Use mine with a twin-tank Emglo contractor-style compressor without a hitch. Comes with an inline regulator and I added a moisture filter to keep out the nasty stuff. Since I don't have a dedicated indoor spray booth, I have to use it outside on a good day, but the results are fine.

Paul Demetropoulos
01-01-2010, 8:16 PM
How heavy a product will this Harbor Freight gun spray?

Will it spray a thinned latex paint for example?