PDA

View Full Version : New Motor Scrap Value

Andrew Joiner
12-01-2009, 3:24 PM
I have a 100 pound 5HP motor that stopped working. Grizzly sent me a new motor under warranty.

Grizzly didn't ask for the old motor back,so it must not be worth shipping.

Is it worth anything as scrap? Do motor rebuilders buy them?

Mike Henderson
12-01-2009, 3:55 PM
Unless you know there's something really terribly wrong in the motor, I'd take it to a motor repair place and get an estimate to repair it. It may be that for a reasonable fee you can have a working motor.

Mike

Brian Runau
12-01-2009, 4:13 PM
really 5hp and under are normally scrapped. The copper winding would be would taking to the recyclers though

keith ouellette
12-01-2009, 4:23 PM
Ive done a little scrapping. From what I've been told so far...

The copper in the coil is not solid copper and not worth much. Call your local scrap place to make sure of the price of copper. Tell them exactly what you have and see what they say.

steel is about 12cents a pound.

clean aluminum (probably not any in the motor) is about 25 cents per pound.

If you dont want to take the entire thing apart it will go as mixed metel which is 5 cents per pound.

So the motor is worth at least $5 as scrap.

If the coil is all real copper it would be worth more but maybe not so much more that it would be worth a drive.

I've heard from a number of can collectors who were sad that there 2 or 3 bags of un crushed cans were only worth a few dollars.

Gary Gleave
12-01-2009, 5:28 PM
Unless you know there's something really terribly wrong in the motor, I'd take it to a motor repair place and get an estimate to repair it. It may be that for a reasonable fee you can have a working motor.

Mike

+1
Or if you don't want it around, offer up for free on craigslist.
It would give someone that needs the motor a big smile.

Bruce Page
12-01-2009, 6:06 PM
I agree with Mike. Take it to the repair shop first, it could be something really simple & cheap to fix, then you'd have a new spare motor. Or, sell it as new on CL and make some money.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-01-2009, 6:27 PM
Put it in front of your house with a "For Sale "sign. Write $500 on the sign. Someone will steal it. The fuel you use to get to the scrap yard will cost more than you will get for the motor. The copper has value of you strip it out of the motor. Lots of work for little return. Unless the motor burned up by being stalled and grossly overheated, it may be repairable. It's nice to have a spare.
fmr

Gary Gleave
12-01-2009, 6:57 PM
Yep, I've had a spare 3hp Baldor motor sitting in my shop for 11 years now.
I still think I'll find a use for it one day :p

Pete Bradley
12-01-2009, 8:14 PM
Electric motors are a standard type of scrap. Your local scrapyard will have a price per pound they pay for them. Call and ask and you can make your own decision.