PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell odd tools and parts?

Tom Walz
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Best way to sell odd tools and parts?

Been in the new shop about 11 years and have accumulated a lot of stuff. Think extra hand tools, parts from old jobs, etc. Extra hack saws, hammers, screwdrivers, fittings, etc. None of it particularly unique or valuable. Anybody have a good idea how to turn it into cash. Seems like eBay is too much work for this stuff. Thought about a garage sale here?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Dave Sharpe
12-01-2009, 12:28 PM
you could always try craigslist if you want a wider audience than the neighborhood garage sale. (and BTW, greetings from your northern neighbor on the pacific island of Whidbey)

John Harden
12-01-2009, 1:43 PM
+1 on Craigslist. I've sold a lot of stuff on there and it works fine.

There are a lot of flakes in our society, so what works for me is I post that first $ in my hand get's it. This works particularly well if you're not asking much money and/or just want to get rid of something.

You might also look at potentially donating some of it to a local woodworking or mechanics class at a high school, community college, trade school, etc. Nice thing about this approach is the allowable tax deduction is often greater than what you can sell stuff for.

Wife and I do this all the time with kids clothes, toys, etc. Our local Goodwill loves to see us drive up and we get one heck of a tax write off.

Regards,

John

Mike Cruz
12-01-2009, 2:52 PM
If you just want to get rid of it so they find good homes and you get a couple bucks in your pocket, just put 'em on CL, and put a low price (like $10 for a circular saw) and they ought to go pretty quickly. The problem of not selling items usually occurs when you try to get what they might be worth (like a $70 circular saw for, say, $40-50). You may sell it for that price, you may not. You may have a number of folks call and SAY they'll be there to get it, but not show because they found one cheaper. My thought is that I would rather get $10 per item for 10 things around my shop that aren't being used (quickly), than trying to get $20 for each and having it drag out, have some sell, some not, and have to deal with relisting them.

My most recent two sales were extremes of one another... a circular saw that I listed for $10...went in less than a day. And a beautiful armoire (bought it for $1000 about 10 years ago)...listed it for $500, then relisted for $400, then, since I NEEDED it out of my shop (had aspirations of making it a tool chest but it took up too much room), I finally relisted it for $300. I had one interested party, and he bought it. When I listed the armoire initially for $500, I had one interested party that offered $300. I said no way... hmmmmmmm, I gues...way. It was in perfect condition and there was no reason it wasn't "worth" $700-800 or more. But people will pay what it is "worth" to them. Here are a couple pictures of it. Heavy sucker, too.

Long and the short of it... price it low enough and you will get rid of it quickly. Price it too low, and you'll get rid of it immediately. Price it too high and it'll take either a long time to find the "perfect" buyer, or you won't sell it at all.

Good luck, and look at it this way. If you get $100 for 10 things you don't use anymore (regardless of their "worth") you can get one $100 item that you know you NEED.

Greg Portland
12-01-2009, 3:50 PM
+1 Craigslist. Any garbage will sell immediately, anything decent will take awhile to sell. Free will go instantly (no matter how bad it is!).