PDA

View Full Version : Veritas 20 tpi Dovetail Saw review

Derek Cohen
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/saws/Veritas%2020%20tpi%20dovetail%20saw/Dovetailsaw.jpg

Below is a link to a recently completed review on the Veritas 20 tpi dovetail saw. Comparison was made with the 14 tpi Veritas.

onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/veritas20tpisaw.htm

Hoping it is interesting and generates some discussion ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Will Boulware
12-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I recently ordered one of these along with the accompanying crosscut variation. I'm new to this hobby, but as a first saw, I'm amazed by how well it balances and how little effort it takes to cut straight lines. Definitely an A+ in my book. :D

Dave Anderson NH
12-01-2009, 1:43 PM
Very nice review Derek. I particularly like the emphasis you placed on how different sawing techniques effect the results and more importantly, a person's perception of how well a saw performs. This is really important information for those just starting out and looking to buy a new saw. In fact, it should be a major caveat added to every single thread on "Which dovetail saw should I buy?" As always, you have done our community a great service with the clarity of your analysis.

David Gendron
12-01-2009, 1:56 PM
Great review Derek. So why should we buy more expensive saws other than for a specific look?? I have a few DT saw my self and so far the Gramercy is my go to saw!! Is it worth the price? Is it That much better? Of cours there is the Custom made feature! And the "Unique" aspect of a Lunn Saw or Bad Axe one just to name these!
Great to have a choice!

John Keeton
12-01-2009, 2:13 PM
Excellent review! But, then, one would expect nothing less from Derek.

I agree with Dave. The practical aspects of your in depth analysis of the saw in actual use make this a "must read" for one buying a dovetail saw - of any make.

Jim Koepke
12-01-2009, 2:26 PM
Very good article. It not only reviews one particular saw, but gives a good comparison to other saws and explains the differences of set, rake and tpi vs ppi.

Of course, now that a bit more has been learned, there is a bit more to ponder.

Thanks for sharing with us.

jim

Jim Koepke
12-01-2009, 2:28 PM
Excellent review! But, then, one would expect nothing less from Derek.

I agree with Dave. The practical aspects of your in depth analysis of the saw in actual use make this a "must read" for one buying a dovetail saw - of any make.

And even more important for those cheapskates like me who are heck bent on making our own.

jim

John Keeton
12-01-2009, 3:50 PM
...cheapskates like me...Jim, frugality and ingenuity does not equal cheapskate!!

Pam Niedermayer
12-02-2009, 8:29 AM
Great review, Derek. Seems like everytime you post a new review these days I find myself kind of jealous of those just starting out since they can buy all the latest and greatest tools from these great vendors.

Pam

Derek Cohen
12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments.

Writing a review is my way of learning more about a subject. Everytime I set out to explore a tool, it becomes an adventure and a time of discovery. The hard part is then finding a way to communicate this information briefly. As you all know, I fail miserably at being brief! :)

Pam, I agree that the new generation of tools is in a different class to those of even a few decades ago. And while tools do not make a crafts(wo)man, it certainly makes woodworking easier and more fun.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Coloccia
12-03-2009, 12:00 AM
I have to say that I've had all 3 Veritas saws for a couple of weeks now, and I'm pretty thrilled with them. Derek's review is really spot on. It would be very difficult to go wrong with one of these saws if you can get over the black composite material's look. It's actually starting to grow on me. The sleek, simple lines just seem to disappear as you're getting ready to cut. I find that really helps my concentration.