PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Resaw master for fine work?

Jeff Sudmeier
12-01-2009, 8:42 AM
Hi Everyone, I have a line on a Laguna Resaw Master for a steal. The only problem is I don't have room for two bandsaws in my one car garage shop.

So the question is, how good is a Laguna Resaw Master bandsaw at doing fine work? Say 1/4" blades? Is it just too big to do a good job?

Where can I find blades?

P.s. the bandsaw is brand new, never been used.

Mike Wilkins
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
These machines will take a 1/4" blade and run it all day long, but the changeover is kind of tedious. I have a LT18 and have used blades from 1/4" to 1", but I don't change often. Those ceramic guides are sweet, but there
are 10 pieces of ceramic that must be lined up after each blade change. That
is why I leave a 1" blade on the 18, and got myself a benchtop Rikon for the
small blades. If 2 big guys will stretch your shop space too much, maybe you
can sell your old machine and get a dedicated small bandsaw for the small
stuff. Either way, the Laguna is a great machine. Good luck.

Jamie Buxton
12-01-2009, 11:52 AM

Where can I find blades?

You may be able to buy pre-made blades that are the length required by that saw. (My Laguna bandsaw has a plate on the back that says what length is required.) You also can buy bandsaw blades cut to whatever length you specify. The cost of custom-making is only a couple of bucks. I get my steel blades from http://customblades.com/

Jeff Sudmeier
12-01-2009, 2:04 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking but actually most of the time I would only be running the small blades. I barely resaw but the ability would be nice.

I currently don't have a bandsaw at all and I can pickup this resaw master for about the cost of the souped up grizzly 14".

Paul Johnstone
12-01-2009, 2:17 PM
You might want to look at a Carter stabilizer

http://www.carterproducts.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=14

Supposedly, these help with running a thinner blade on a big saw.

I run a 1/4" blade on my 18" Rikon. I have bearing guides, it's difficult to get the blade supported as well as I would like. I am getting a stabilizer for Christmas.. If I forget to post experience, let me know.

However, the way the saw is, I think it's adequate for using a 1/4" blade.
Most of the time, when I cut curves, I rough cut and then sand to the pencil line.