PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Neal Wells
12-01-2009, 7:41 AM
This tool was in an old tool chest that was owned by my wife's grandfather. I've been unable to find anything about it. There is a Patent date of December '99 (1899?) that was hand stamped or etched but no other writing. The metal is plated but has worn badly through years of use. The blade is straight across with just a slight relief on each edge. I would appreciate any information about it's use or origin.

Thanks

Ken Higginbotham
12-01-2009, 8:05 AM
Looks like some kind of peeler. Is the metal aluminum?

Neal Wells
12-01-2009, 8:25 AM
The handle is wood but the body is heavy cast metal. The thumb screw holds a plane blade in a position pointing away from the handle. My first thought was some kind of scraper for chairs but I don't think that's correct.

Ken Higginbotham
12-01-2009, 8:29 AM
Can you do a couple more pictures with close-up views of the blade, etc.?

Ken Higginbotham
12-01-2009, 8:32 AM
Maybe a splitter type tool that they used to make the webbing from some type plant for chair seats?

John Keeton
12-01-2009, 8:37 AM
Where is Harry Strasil when you need him!?! Hey, Harry.....

Neal Wells
12-01-2009, 8:40 AM
I'm almost sure it is some type of scraper but can't imagine the exact use-maybe for scraping or planing the inside of a concave radius The bottom is sort of egg shaped and the blade, about 3" wide, located near the top of that. I will get some close-ups in the next day or so.

Ken Higginbotham
12-01-2009, 8:46 AM
So is the sharp end of the blade oriented so that you push or pull the device?

Matt Hankins
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I am voting for a leather scraper or slitter.

Edit:Possibly a skiver.

Matt

David Keller NC
12-01-2009, 10:14 AM
This is likely a box scraper. Before the modern age, all goods were shipped in re-usable wooden crates, and box scrapers were made in many different configurations to remove the labels before re-use. There's a profusion of different patents for these in the late 19th century that aspiring inventors filed with the patent office.

george wilson
12-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I agree,box scraper.

harry strasil
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I found no pictures just like it, but it appears to be a Box Scraper, or Box Shave.

John Keeton
12-01-2009, 11:18 AM
And, the three individuals that I consider to be the SMC authorities on such things have spoken in unanimity!!

My thought is, if it wasn't a box scraper before - it is now!!:D

Neal Wells
12-02-2009, 7:12 AM
I haven't had a chance to take more photos but did experiment a bit and a box scraper seems to be a logical answer. The handle is at the wrong angle to use it as a pull scraper but when held with the rounded part up (opposite of my photo) and pushed, it takes a very thin shaving and would work remarkably well for the purpose of removing a painted label from a crate. The cast metal rounded area fits the palm nicely and adds a measure of control. It does bear a resemblance to photos of a Stanley #70 box scraper.

Thanks for all your input.

Rick Whitehead
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
If you can make out the actual patent date (month, day, and year), then you can look it up on DATAMP: the Directory of American Tool and Machinery Patents-http://datamp.org (http://datamp.org/). You can also try the US Patent Office, but it's harder to search.
I tried DATAMP, using the month and year in your original post, but didn't come up with anything related to your tool.If you could make out the day, it would probably help.
If you find out anything more, please let us know.
Rick

Don McConnell
12-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Neal et al,

I'd been debating whether to get involved in this thread, but Rick's response finally tipped the balance. I, too, have been looking at DATAMP, etc., and have yet to come up with an exact match. The closest I've found is U. S. patent number 619,131, issued to Chester L. Britt, of Lynn MA, on February 7, 1899. The DATAMP entry is at:

http://www.datamp.org/patents/search/displayPatent.php?number=619131&typeCode=0

You can click on direct links to the USPTO and google images of the original patent on that page.

Obviously, the date doesn't correspond with what you've reported as stamped on your tool, but I see enough similarities to think they may be related in some way.

One of the claims of the patent is described: " ... By having the outer surface of part 1 of convex form the hand is enabled to obtain a purchase thereon without receiving painful injury, such as would result if sharp corners or angles existed, and whereby the operator is enabled to use the tool for a longer period of time without suffering fatigue ... ." This directly parallels your experiment with holding your scraper with the "rounded part up."

However, there are some other specific claims in this patent, and I can't tell if they are embodied in your scraper without being able to examine the tool, itself. Specifically, there should be a threaded lug, or protuberance, near the handle on the convex/rounded side, capable of taking the thumbscrew currently installed on the other face. Also, the handle should contain a threaded rod intended to allow it to be installed in either of the lugs, or protuberances (in addition to its primary position) should the need arise. This latter might be hard to ascertain if the handle hasn't been moved in decades, and I'd be very cautious about attempting to back it out of its primary location.

In any event, if your scraper is related to this patent in any way, its usage would be more in keeping with Britt's description of its purpose: "The tool is equally well adapted for finishing floors, cabinet-work, and service generally where a smooth finish is required." So it would appear (again, if related to this patent), that it may not have been primarily intended for use as a box scraper.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

Ken Higginbotham
12-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I can see this a push type scraper if you put your palm on the metal part and adjust the angle and push with the handle. Which would explain the ergonomic shape of the metal.

Neal Wells
12-03-2009, 6:05 PM
Don, you hit the nail on the head. I cleaned up the area of the patent date and it was Feb 7, '99. The stamping was not clear and I misread the date. This one does not have the extra boss for a second handle location even though the handle was readily removable. It looks like the extra boss would be uncomfortable in use so if they put this into production maybe they eliminated it. Other than that, it is identical to the drawings in the link you posted. I played with it a bit more and it does as the description suggests, removing a very fine shaving with minimal marking to the underlying wood and it is very comfortable to use. I intend to sharpen it up and put it to use. Thanks for your great detective work and to all the others who contributed.

Neal