PDA

View Full Version : Saints

Neal Clayton
12-01-2009, 1:18 AM
after 40 years of mediocrity, after wasted opportunities with bad coaches, bad quarterbacks, bad GMs, bad owners, after winning the division only to lose the first playoff game in multiple years, after yes, being at a game with a schwegmann's AINTS bag on my head (more than once), it sure is nice to have the best team in football for a change ;).

beating the pats on monday night with drew brees having a perfect QB rating is more than a statement i think. it really should've been 45/10, there was another 14 point swing in there where they failed to keep a turnover and the pats scored right after.

see you in the playoffs vikings fans, lets hope it's at home, that's the only thing that worries me at this point. i really don't wanna see adrian peterson on the road in the NFC championship game.

Paul Ryan
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Neal,

Up until last night as a Viking fan I wasn't worried. I thought the Saints were definatly beatable. After last night, I am worried that my magical Vikings season may come to a screeching halt if and when we meet the Saints. They are tough. Drew Brees looked like a young Bret Favre last night, a surgen. They patriots played pretty good coverage, but you cannot cover a pefect pass. And Brees through coutless perfect passes that were just a work of art. I was very impressed. The past few weeks the interceptions were starting to mount and it looked light the Saints were getting worse instead of peaking at the right time. Well not last night, that was a very good performance. I have to keep telling myself that the patriots defense isn't that good. But I think the patiots offense is excellent and they were basically shut down as well. Again well done.

My only hope as a Viking fan is that the game will be in MN. If not I think the Saints will be on their way to Miami. And it is lookin pretty slim that the Saints will loose in the regular season. Still 2 tougher games on the season the cowboys and the falcons. But you have already beaten the falcons and they are on they way down. The vikes have 4 tougher games arizona, cincinnati, the bears in the cold, and the giants. If the vinkings can make it past the packers, in the playoffs. I am convinced the vikes will have to beat the packers 3 times this year to make it to the NFC championship, and that will be a tall chore itself. Congratulations Neal you have an excellent team. Good luck until you meet the Vikings, then I will be cheering for my beloved PURPLE.

Neal Clayton
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
well, the patriots defense isn't that good, and that's what killed them. their secondary isn't terrible, but isn't that great either. couple that with a complete lack of QB pressure and you have a bad situation against drew brees. if you give him time he's gonna beat you, after all he only needs ~12 inches of space to complete a pass.

the jets and falcons played the saints pretty well, because they have good defenses. so i don't think the saints could blow out the vikings like they did the pats.

it's kinda the same thing that's happening with the bengals. the saints have had horrible defenses for the last few years. then they bring in jonathan vilma and darren sharper coupled with a scheme the players believe in from greg williams, and those two players turn the whole thing around. leaders make a difference ;).

the bengals did the same thing with that linebacker they drafted from USC and roy williams. instead of losing all of the close games, they now win all of the close games. and that's really all that counts. the NFL is about the most even professional sport team by team that we have, talent wise. it's all about who can step up late in games and win the close ones.

Peter Luch
12-01-2009, 12:21 PM
All I want to say is.........................THE PAT'S LOST!!!!! :D

I love Drew and being a Chargers fan I really did not like that they let him go. He is a winner and really started the turn around in S.D.

I'm rooting for the Saints unless they meet the Chargers.

Aloha, Pete

Keith Starosta
12-01-2009, 1:16 PM
Drew Brees is a great QB with a TON of great players around him!!! Couple that with an insane defense, and the Saints might just do something special this year. ;) As a Lions fan, I am going to live out the rest of my football season vicariously through them. :D

- Keith

Mike Henderson
12-01-2009, 1:41 PM
You must be from the New Orleans area if you know what Schwegmann's is:)

Mike

Neal Clayton
12-01-2009, 1:51 PM
yep, grew up there, have lived in little rock since katrina and don't know if i'll ever move back, but i've got too many broken dreams invested in the saints to give up on them now that they're turning it around ;).

Michael Gibbons
12-01-2009, 4:26 PM
Be very grateful that you guys don't have to put up with our favorite pussycats the DETROIT LIONS!:rolleyes:

Bob Lloyd
12-01-2009, 4:37 PM
As a Pats fan it was tough to take. The secondary is young and being rebuilt, they had done pretty well..... up until last night. I have not seen the Pats give up so many big plays for a long time. The Saints will be tough to beat, they appeared to be in a different class to the Colts. Just remember, it is January and February that really counts, the Pats went 16-0 and did not close the deal.

Rick Moyer
12-01-2009, 6:40 PM
I think it's interesting that the three best records are all dome teams, although I suspect that's due more to the QB's and the qb friendly rules than the domes.

Jason Roehl
12-01-2009, 7:43 PM
The Colts aren't a dome team anymore. Lucas Oil Stadium has a retractable roof. Granted, they close it in inclement weather, but it's not quite the same as a dome--the sunshine can have (and has had) an effect. The Colts may not have played the best looking games this year, but they're getting it done despite quite a few injuries to key players on both sides of the ball. That they've come from behind to win several times this year is a testament to their mental toughness and the effectiveness of their 2-minute offense, no matter when in the game they use it

Rick Moyer
12-02-2009, 6:18 AM
My bad! I guess I'll start paying more attention to the Colts when they get a decent QB:D.

Paul Ryan
12-06-2009, 5:21 PM
Sun shines on a dogs but once in a while. That was about the luckiest perfromance I have seen in a long time. Well since the vikes beat the niners. The vikes didn't even need that much luck to win. 1st a fluky interception turns into a fumle return at the then end of the half, then the redskins kicker misses a 10 yard field goal, 10 yards how the heck, and then another fumble by the skins in overtime. I cant stinkin believe it. No offense to saints fans but I think their luck is going to run out before the season is over. That was ugly.

Well the game tonight was ugly as well, I was pumped earlier in the day, but the Vikes stunk it up tonight. Looks like we will be going to New Orleans for the NFC championship.

Eric Larsen
12-07-2009, 8:24 AM
Yep. The Saints look like a juggernaut this year.

We'll see how they do in the playoffs.

(Everyone channel Jim Mora -- Playoffs!?!??! Playoffs!?!?!?!?!!?)

EDIT -- Detroit fans, how do you handle it? I think it must be kinda like rooting for the Washington Generals vs. the Harlem Globetrotters every year.

Neal Clayton
12-07-2009, 11:25 AM
lol, i suffered through 10 years of jim mora when he was in new orleans. in the last press conference before he was fired he had his shirt buttoned up unlevel. that about sums up jim mora, he could screw up a cup of coffee. then we went from that to mike ditka, who after throwing away 15 million dollars in the trade + another 4 million a year on heath shuler (who was worse than a rookie danny wuerrfel), walked off the field after a loss shooting his own fans the bird.

sean payton said on the local postgame show after monday night that he was gonna give the team 3 days off, they just did a walkthrough on friday before the plane to DC. the defense injuries were mounting up too much. so underperforming a bit in DC was kinda expected.

Paul Ryan
12-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Is this the begining of the end for the Saints fans?

Other than game against the Patriots, the Saints have been barely wining week after week. I think last night was only a matter of time.

But look at it this way better to lose in the reqular season, than the playoffs. I am one than doesn't think a loss is necessarily a bad thing. Your team now knows that they can be beat. So that should only make it better. But there are those that feel any loss exposes a teams weekness.

Neal, please don't change your aviatar!

Tim Morton
12-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Is this the begining of the end for the Saints fans?

Other than game against the Patriots, the Saints have been barely wining week after week. I think last night was only a matter of time.

But look at it this way better to lose in the regular season, than the playoffs. I am one than doesn't think a loss is necessarily a bad thing. Your team now knows that they can be beat. So that should only make it better. But there are those that feel any loss exposes a teams weekness.

Neal, please don't change your aviatar!

i think it is good for the saints to get the monkey off their back..Pats had WAY to much pressure on them in 2007 and it got to them. I was hoping for a loss for them around the same time...you guys should be fine.

The pats on the other hand are in big trouble.:(:(

Neal Clayton
12-20-2009, 12:16 PM
yeah, i'm not surprised at this. they were barely winning, turning it on in the 4th quarter, against bad teams. dallas was a team that needed to win to stay in the playoffs, so they were the likely loss.

the struggles last night were O line letting dallas get pressure with 4, and giving up big pass plays. these can be addressed, the second is more of a function of being limited in defensive scheme with cedric ellis out.

both of those problems go away with 2-3 weeks of prep/rest for the playoffs.

Jason Roehl
12-20-2009, 1:01 PM
You guys are forgetting: Drew Brees is from Texas... :p

Paul Ryan
12-20-2009, 11:08 PM
I have to vent,

The game isn't even over yet but I am sure it is. Before the game started tonight I was pretty sure this was finally going to be the year for the vikes. I wasn't afraid of the big bad Saints, especially after saturday nights performance. But this performance by the vikings rimes with horse spit. The is the 2nd game of the last 3 that we cannot run the ball. With a running game that was suposed to be one of the best in the league we look horrible. And if you cannot run the ball in Dec and the playoffs, you arn't going anywhere. We have already clinched a playoff spot, but we will loose the first game with a running game like this. This is just sad.

Neal Clayton
12-20-2009, 11:16 PM
now it's over...

brett just got picked in the end zone.

i would be fearful of philly or GB, as a minnesota fan at this point.

Paul Ryan
12-28-2009, 5:13 PM
I looks as though the Saints maybe as disfunctional as the Vikings now.
How do you loose to tampa? I still am not afraid of the packers, but playing the Eagles in Philly, that scares me. How about you Saints fan are you starting to get alittle scared now. Everybody looks tough if you loose to tampa.

It will be interesting to see if the Vikes will bounce back tonight. I know chicago is a bad team. But it is a divisional game and outside in the elements. The Vikings have not looked good their last 2 games on real grass. If that is what you call what they are playing on tonight. I have a feeling it will be more like a sogy spunge. It is 12 here right now in MN and suposed to drop to single digits below zero tonight. Chicago should be a little warmer but not too much.

Rob Bodenschatz
12-28-2009, 5:18 PM
...playing the Eagles in Philly, that scares me...

It should.

Paul Ryan
12-28-2009, 5:29 PM
Rod,

What I forgot to add though was if the Vikes can win their last 2 then I don't have to worry about going to Philly. And I think the Vikes would kick 6 different kinds of dog crap out of any team if it is in the Roller Dome.

Kent A Bathurst
12-28-2009, 5:57 PM
Detroit fans, how do you handle it?

Detroit fans - extinct species - there are no such critters. Lived in Downtown Detroit, and nearby environs, for 25+ years before moving to ATL 6 years ago - they simply ain't there anymore.

Re: Saints - the old Aint's days always made me think of that Billy Joel line "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints"

Neal Clayton
12-28-2009, 8:41 PM
sigh.......

if there was a schwegmann's still left they would've provided some AINTS bags yesterday.

i've seen this trick before. win 12 games, go to the playoffs, lose in first round and everyone is scratching their head wondering how it happened.

the receivers and defense are gonna have to play alot better than that to beat philly. the only good news we got was steve smith breaking his arm against the giants so he won't be there to burn our second string corners next week.

Paul Ryan
12-29-2009, 8:12 AM
I was wrong,

The vikings are still the most disfunctional team and it isn't even close. I am in your shoes Neal. For 35 years I have learned to be a pessimist. Just knowing that the day I am dissapointed is around the corner. As usual this season wasn't meant to be. The Vikings could pull a New England and go 18-0 and still loose the superbowl. They are just diseased. I finally though last night we would get a break when Chicago missed the FG in OT. But then AP with his better fingers finally burned us it was only a matter of time. I will have to go back to old ways. My favorite team is who ever is playing the packers.

Neal Clayton
12-29-2009, 10:46 AM
well after last night i don't feel as bad as you do paul. if the NFL wanted parity they got it, when someone can go from a shot at first to a shot at third in one play.

you'll have to go to philly for week two and play in week one of the playoffs.

with three weeks to get ready for the playoffs i'm hoping sean payton can turn it around.

Paul Ryan
12-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I am still pretty pissed of over the loss. But maybe the 2nd half was our wake up call that we are a better team than we have played the last 4 weeks. If we play as we did in the 2nd half, we should be able to beat philly in philly. However if we play like we did the 1st half and against carolina and arizona forget it we couldn't even beat the Rams. If philly looses to the Cowboys in Dallas this sunday the Vikings are still the #2 seed and we will have Dome field advantage even if we have to go to New Orleans.

Neal Clayton
01-17-2010, 3:08 AM
well, all seems to be well in new orleans after all. reggie bush was the guy they paid for today. running through around and over the cardinals all day long. shockey and cedric ellis being back also make an enormous difference.

gonna be a good game tomorrow with dallas and the vikings, at this point i honestly have no idea who will win.

also: nice move by the management to bring deuce back for the playoffs. through all of those bad years he and joe horn were all they had. and he literally gave up his health to a mediocre football team for a thousand yards a year, even knowing that they were not a playoff team in most of them. he's the definition of "class act".

John A langley
01-17-2010, 10:26 AM
The chiefs say wait till next year go saints