PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Wood

Jake Byrd
10-04-2004, 3:07 PM
Hey Ya'll,

How are ya today? I am great. I was just looking in the fall edition of "Woodturning Design". It says on page 79 that a man by the name Ron Odegaard collects wood ant is in the IWCS. What exactly does a wood collector do? What kind of woods would one collect? I am interested about it.

Thanks,

Pete Lamberty
10-04-2004, 3:31 PM
Hi Jake, I think I first heard of this hobby on the old Badger Pond Forum. They do exactly what you said, they collect wood. A wood collector would try to get a sample of wood from every type of tree/bush there is. Of course it is difficult to do. I also think that they try to get a certain size for collecting. Maybe a six inch by four inch piece that is a half inch thick. I am sure that this isn't the right dimension but you get the idea. Although I am not a collector I find it pretty interesting. May be someone else will give more info. Hope this helps.

Doug Jones
10-04-2004, 4:23 PM
IWCS does have a web site. I think if you find it, it should answer your questions. (Do to linking restrictions, I'm not sure I'm allowed to post the link)

Keith Outten
10-04-2004, 4:55 PM
The link to IWCS is;

http://www.woodcollectors.org/

They have generously donated several boxes of pen blanks to the Freedom Pens Project including exotic wood from all over the globe. Visit their web site and you will find an email link that should connect you with someone who can answer your question concerninig collecting wood.

Michael Stafford
10-04-2004, 5:42 PM
Jake, there is an official way to collect wood as described by the IWCS. I have read about people who collect wood in other ways. For instance one guy turns wooden eggs out of as many woods as he can. I am turning pens from as many woods as I can. Currently I am up to 73 different woods, just a drop in the bucket of the number of species available. But I'm having fun trying to get new woods to turn. I'm putting the pens into a display box for my son. One way to collect I guess. I thought I would mention it since you are new to turning pens. :D

Jake Byrd
10-04-2004, 6:38 PM
Thanks a lot, but I have one more quick question...how big do the samples have to be?

Thanks,

Michael Stafford
10-04-2004, 7:01 PM
I believe the standard size for the IWCS is 1/2" thick x 3"x6".