PDA

View Full Version : Motor Rotation - Reference?

Randy Klein
11-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Was wondering what the frame of reference is when determining motor rotation. Are you looking from the shaft or from the housing?

Mike Henderson
11-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I'm fairly sure it's looking into the shaft - CW or CCW.

For motors that have a shaft on both ends, like a grinder, I have no idea.

Mike

mickey cassiba
12-01-2009, 5:42 AM
Top coming, that is the top of the shaft is moving towards you when looking at the front, is clockwise. At least that's the way I learned it.
Mick

John Coloccia
12-01-2009, 7:10 AM
I've seen it spec'd both ways. :::sigh::: Usually, though, whoever is specifying CW or CCW will tell you the frame of reference. I usually see it looking into the shaft, though. It can also be specified as CWLE or CCWLE, where LE stands for "lead end". That would remove the ambiguity on a double shafted motor. Bottom line, though, is there is no standard that everyone religiously follows, and to be safe you always need to specify the frame of reference.

Mike Goetzke
12-01-2009, 9:57 AM
I was told you hold the motor in front of you with the shaft pointing away from you to determine rotation (kind of counter intuitive).

????

Mike

Todd Willhoit
12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I've seen it spec'd both ways.
John is spot on. What is considered "standard", and the terminology used, are both dependent on the manufacturer. In my experience working for a motor manufacturer, the direction of rotation was typically specified from the non-drive end (NDE).

Todd

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2009, 12:14 PM
So far this is not quite as clear as to which type door does one need.....left hand opening or right hand opening...At least with the doors I can always remember to put my back to the hinges.....

Randy Klein
12-01-2009, 8:12 PM
So I asked this question since I'm considering this LV belt sander/grinder (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44884&cat=1,43072). They recommend a CCW motor. I was trying to figure out if they intended on having the belt spin towards or aways from you. I just emailed them and they told me the CCW was referenced from looking down the shaft, meaning the belt would turn towards the operator, or down when facing the front. But I think getting a reversible motor would be best so I could have the leather belt spin away.