PDA

View Full Version : Value of Stanley Tool Book

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-30-2009, 7:41 PM
Hand Tool Collectors,
I have a copy of
Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Guide to Identity & Value (Paperback)

with a publishing date 1996. It was quite expensive when I bought it a few years ago. Somehow the idea of collecting old tools appealed to me at the time. I am thinking of selling it. Does anyone have a thought on the demand for this book.
fmr

Tom Winship
11-30-2009, 9:17 PM
Barnes and Noble has a used paperback for $2234.00.
I've seen them for similar prices.

Rob Lee
11-30-2009, 9:26 PM
Hi -

I've seen them go regularly for $150-$250....

Cheers -

Rob

Jim Koepke
12-01-2009, 2:10 AM
I feel lucky that I paid less than $120 for my copy.

I feel lucky that by chance I found it listed here on the Creek.

If I could afford to, I would offer you $120 for your copy.

If you look at ebay completed listings, you will see the second edition is selling in the $190 plus range. Must be the Christmas present of the year for old tool folks.

jim

David Keller NC
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
You can get considerably more for a copy in nice condition at one of the major tool auctions like Martin J. Donnely or one of the Fine Tool Journal auctions than you can on e-bay. Generally, the going price at one of these auctions for the 2nd edition of this book is about $500 in near-new condition, to a low of about $250 for one that's been well-read.

Gil Knowles
12-03-2009, 6:21 PM
I just checked Amazon and they have 12 copies ranging in price from $295. to $2,400.

Michael L. Martin
12-10-2009, 6:29 PM
Wow!........$2400?

Say Jim ..... any chance we could renegotiate the deal for that book?:D

Kevin Groenke
12-10-2009, 7:36 PM
That was the first book LOML ordered from Amazon back in 97-98. ~$30 for my second edition hardcover when it was new. Probably the best investment either of us have made. Still in great shape w/intact dustcover. Of course it has it share of drool drops here and there.

Not for sale.

-kg

Gary Herrmann
12-10-2009, 7:40 PM
I got really lucky last year and picked one up for $30. Not mint condition, but the price was right.

Stephen Reid
12-10-2009, 7:49 PM
I got mine from LV for xmas a few years ago not sure on the price,less than $50 Can. I think.If I had only known, should have bought 10!Mines got some greasy fingerprints and folded over corners. Been well read and gets looked at regularly.

Jim Koepke
12-11-2009, 2:00 AM
Say Jim ..... any chance we could renegotiate the deal for that book?

Too late, I have penciled in all kinds of notes here and there and the cover is a little bit wrinkled.

I got really lucky last year and picked one up for $30. Not mint condition, but the price was right.

Even with one copy in hand, I would jump on that deal and have two copies not for sale.

I got mine from LV for xmas a few years ago not sure on the price,less than $50 Can. I think.If I had only known, should have bought 10!Mines got some greasy fingerprints and folded over corners. Been well read and gets looked at regularly.

Well, if I could I would. I think at about three copies, I might send one to my brother. After that, I might consider selling one, lets see, one in the shop, one in the library, one at the bedside, oops almost forgot the room of restful reading.

jim