PDA

View Full Version : A PC Holiday Wish

Belinda Barfield
11-30-2009, 6:31 PM
A friend sent this to me a couple of years ago. I ran across it this afternoon and thought I would share.

AN ADEQUATE HOLIDAY TO YOU

Politically Correct Verse for the Season

On the 12th day of the eurocentrically imposed midwinter festival, my Significant Other in a consenting adult, monogamous relationship gave to me:

TWELVE males reclaiming their inner warrior through ritual drumming.

ELEVEN pipers piping (plus the 18-member pit orchestra made up of members in good standing of the Musicians Equity Union as called for in their union contract even though they will not be asked to play a note).

TEN melanin deprived testosterone poisoned members of the patriarchal ruling class system leaping.

NINE persons engaged in purifying, tribal rhythmic self expression.

EIGHT economically disadvantaged female persons stealing milk products from enslaved Bovine-Americans.

SEVEN endangered swans swimming on federally protected wetlands.

SIX enslaved Fowl-Americans producing non-human animal products.

FIVE golden symbols of culturally sanctioned enforced domestic incarceration.

(NOTE: after members of the Animal Liberation Front threatened to throw red paint at my computer, the calling birds, French hens, and partridge have been reintroduced to their native habitat. To avoid any further Animal-American enslavement the remaining gift package has been revised.)

FOUR hours of recorded whale songs.

THREE deconstructionist poets.

TWO Sierra Club calendars printed on recycled, processed tree carcasses and..

A Spotted Owl activist chained to an old growth pear tree!

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Good Kwanzaa, Blessed Yule, and Happy Holidays! (Unless otherwise prohibited by law)*

*If you are suffering from Seasonally Affected Disorder (SAD) please substitute this call for celebration with a suggestion that you have a thoroughly adequate day.

Roger Newby
11-30-2009, 6:46 PM
Thanks Belinda!!!

I'll be sharing this with numerous individuals...though I have to be selective as some of my friends don't handle multi-syllable words very well.:confused:

Sean Troy
11-30-2009, 9:14 PM
A very cheery Christmas to you! I love it and will have to send it to some friends. Thanks, Sean

Belinda Barfield
11-30-2009, 9:16 PM
A very cheery Christmas to you! I love it and will have to send it to some friends. Thanks, Sean

A very merry and cheery Christmas to you as well, Sean!

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-30-2009, 9:20 PM
Thank you, Belinda, for your nice although unsolicitied and entirely platonic words. I'd also like to wish you an enjoyable celebration appropriate for the time of year - but not too enjoyable, drink responsibly, and by "time of year" I in no way endorse any one religious or secular celebration over any others, as all should be equally weighed and recognized....

:)

Or, as any sane reasonable person would say - Merry Christmas! Or, if you don't celebrate, at least a "Happy Holidays!".

A friend of ourse sent us an email 'chain letter', encouraging everyone to send a "Merry Christmas" card to the ACLU. They need to open all envelopes, looking for donations......so they pretty much have to open the card too. I think this is hilarious.

Cliff Towle
11-30-2009, 9:41 PM
haha Much enjoyed & I am so stealing this. Thanks!

Keith Outten
11-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Belinda, thanks for the post. A bit of humor is always welcome :)

This is my take on the changes we have witnessed over the last decade concerning this particular season.

The Constitution guarantees every citizen the right to gather/assemble with those of like interests or religious beliefs. Anyone who isn't part of my group please don't be offended if I enjoy these rights that so many have sacrificed to preserve and given their lives to protect.

I will not allow my Christmas Season to be altered nor will I be coerced to comply with a standard enforced by another member of some other group, and I will not force my personal preferences on others.

Merry Christmas To All

This is not meant to be a political or religious statement. My intent is to share my personal view that reinforces the idea that free men should be allowed the pursuit of happiness whether it be their choice of hobby, profession, place of residence, etc.

When the topic of personal differences would come up when I was very young I remember an older neighbor (country boy) and close friend would say "Every cat to his own pile". A bit crude but the intent of his statement was clear and almost impossible to misinterpret :)

Keith Outten
11-30-2009, 11:48 PM
John,

It seems to me that the ACLU is a good organization with a dark side. On some days they can see black very vividly and on others only white. They refuse to admit that there are other colors or even shades of gray and for that reason they probably don't understand the concept of wisdom. I also doubt they have a sense of humor and the idea that people whould send them Christmas cards is beyond their ability to comprehend its purpose :)

"We need dissenting opinions but we should never trust others to manage or interpret the will of the people".
OlKeith

:)

Greg Peterson
12-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I find the list judgmental and mocking of others values.

Gene Howe
12-01-2009, 5:26 PM
Merry Christmas!

Randal Stevenson
12-02-2009, 2:03 AM
A friend sent this to me a couple of years ago. I ran across it this afternoon and thought I would share.

AN ADEQUATE HOLIDAY TO YOU

Politically Correct Verse for the Season

On the 12th day of the eurocentrically imposed midwinter festival, my Significant Other in a consenting adult, monogamous relationship gave to me:

You should send your friend back a note! Giving you people?:confused: PC to talk slavery? :rolleyes: Even when they attempt to find "Political Correctness", there are always errors.;)

Belinda Barfield
12-02-2009, 9:14 AM
I find the list judgmental and mocking of others values.

I find your post to be the same.

You should send your friend back a note! Giving you people?:confused: PC to talk slavery? :rolleyes: Even when they attempt to find "Political Correctness", there are always errors.;)

Randal,

Is it more PC not to talk slavery? Let's just sweep it under the rug so future generations are not aware of the evils of such. It would seem that by discussing the mistakes of our past we might avoid repeating them in the future.

It was not my intention to offend anyone with the original post, and I apologize to those who find it offensive. If the one of the Mods would like to delete the entire thread I am more than happy to have the thread deleted. I respect the views of others, and expect the same in return. The post was not meant to mock any set of beliefs or values. Under the guidlines of political correctness it is virtually impossible to wish anyone anything these days without being offensive to someone.

Here's my wish for all of you, whatever you choose to celebrate . . . Happy Whatever Your Heart Desires and Merry Every Day! :)

Scott Shepherd
12-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm always amazed at how some people want to tell others what they can and cannot say, yet when someone tells those people what they can and cannot say, it's completely unacceptable. For some reason, I guess they can't see the forest through the trees to see that they are being hypocritical to not allow others to express their opinions.

Belinda, thanks for sharing, and don't give in and let people suggest this should be deleted or even remotely considered offensive. If it's considered offensive, then I'm offended they are offended. There. Now what? You're offended and I'm offended. So I guess we can't have a conversation any more because what I say offends you and what you say offends me. What are we, 6?

Yeah, that's a great place to be (sarcasm intended).

Sean Troy
12-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I can't imagine how such thin skinned people even survive. It's always, my way is right and your way is wrong. Don't worry about them. You've done nothing wrong but brought a smile to most.

Greg Peterson
12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Allow me to retort and refine my observations. I don't find the list to be judgmental and mocking of others values.

The list IS judgmental and mocking of others values.

Plausible deniable is wonderfully useful defense. Of course the author of this list didn't mean to offend, judge or mock anyone. Anyone that would take offense at this a list is 'thin skinned' or is missing the point.

The listed is a poorly veiled political commentary.

Belinda Barfield
12-02-2009, 1:03 PM
Allow me to retort and refine my observations. I don't find the list to be judgmental and mocking of others values.

Plausible deniable is wonderfully useful defense. Of course the author of this list didn't mean to offend, judge or mock anyone. Anyone that would take offense at this a list is 'thin skinned' or is missing the point.

Plausible deniability, on the other hand, does appear to be quite an effective defense in some circles.

Sean Troy
12-02-2009, 2:00 PM

But in your mind, it is OK the other way around? I fail to see any logic in that reasoning. What I do see is complete lack of intelligence in someone who would only allow their standards to be acceptable.

Belinda Barfield
12-02-2009, 2:14 PM
How about we all just settle for a little peace on earth, good will toward all creatures great and small.

Sean Troy
12-02-2009, 2:22 PM
Amen to that

Scott Shepherd
12-02-2009, 3:00 PM
How about we all just settle for a little peace on earth, good will toward all creatures great and small.

.....and a Merry Christmas too!

Greg Peterson
12-02-2009, 3:00 PM
But in your mind, it is OK the other way around? I fail to see any logic in that reasoning.

I said the list is judgmental and mocking of others values. I also said it is a poorly veiled political comment. What have I offered that would indicate that I would find the other way to be acceptable? There is nothing in my posts to indicate that it would acceptable to mock or judge any group or segment of society.

Belinda Barfield
12-02-2009, 3:22 PM

Plausible deniable is wonderfully useful defense. Of course the author of this list didn't mean to offend, judge or mock anyone.

Greg,

I have been thinking about this and I would like to clear the air about it. I can't speak for the author of this parody of the 12 Days of Christmas. I did not write it. I can, however, speak for myself. I don't get offended that others don't have the same values or beliefs as mine. If I read something that I find offensive, I don't read it again. I don't feel the need to bash the poster over the head about their "insensitivity". I also don't feel the need to defend the beliefs of others as I feel that anyone who has strong beliefs should be capable of defending those beliefs themselves.

The original post was not a veiled political commentary. Had I intended to post a political commentary there would be no veiling involved.

A number of comments have been made here on the Creek about me, my intentions, my beliefs, my lack of intelligence, the list goes on and on. It would truly be sad if I let those comments make me doubt who and what I am, and what I believe. I would trust that anyone reading my comments would be strong enough in their beliefs not to doubt themselves. Because of this I sometimes don't anticipate the vehement protest to some of my posts, or understand why some people feel the need to be offended.

To you and yours, a most happy of holiday seasons and prosperous and successful New Year.

Scott Shepherd
12-02-2009, 3:28 PM
A number of comments have been made here on the Creek about me, my intentions, my beliefs, my lack of intelligence, the list goes on and on.

Okay, who's picking on Belinda? Knock it off, she's got about 500 big brothers on this forum and we don't take kindly to picking on our little sister :D

It's okay Belinda, we've got your back! Just point to the one's that are picking on you.......;)

Sean Troy
12-02-2009, 4:08 PM
I said the list is judgmental and mocking of others values. I also said it is a poorly veiled political comment. What have I offered that would indicate that I would find the other way to be acceptable? There is nothing in my posts to indicate that it would acceptable to mock or judge any group or segment of society.

Dang Greg, don't back down now. At least man up to your beliefs. Jeeez LOL

Greg Peterson
12-02-2009, 4:19 PM
Belinda I recognize that you did not author the list, that is why I said 'the author'. I don't know who wrote the list. Doesn't matter.

If someone were to substitute the subjects in the list with other people, places and things I would still say the list is just plain mean spirited.

I've no problem if someone wishes me a happy holiday, Merry Christmas or Happy whatever. I take it in the spirit it is meant and in these times we need all the good will we can get.

What I do take exception to is the faux outrage stirred up by pundits (needing to sell ad time) over capital enterprises controlling their image. If Target or Walmart instructs their employees to say seasons greetings or happy holidays rather than Merry Christmas, so what? It's their business, they can run it however they want.

I also don't have a problem with religious displays banned from publicly owned property. Private property owners can put up whatever kind of display they want, according to local customs and restrictions.

The constitution protects us from having to pass a religious test and from a state sponsored or state endorsed religion.

The list is merely a manifestation of the ratings generating hucksters.

Greg Peterson
12-02-2009, 4:22 PM
Dang Greg, don't back down now. At least man up to your beliefs. Jeeez LOL

I think my beliefs are adequately on display. Perhaps you can illuminate just what kind of list I would find acceptable since I have not offered any suggestions?

Scott Shepherd
12-02-2009, 4:48 PM
If someone were to substitute the subjects in the list with other people, places and things I would still say the list is just plain mean spirited.

I've no problem if someone wishes me a happy holiday, Merry Christmas or Happy whatever. I take it in the spirit it is meant and in these times we need all the good will we can get.

What I do take exception to is the faux outrage stirred up by pundits (needing to sell ad time) over capital enterprises controlling their image. If Target or Walmart instructs their employees to say seasons greetings or happy holidays rather than Merry Christmas, so what? It's their business, they can run it however they want.

I also don't have a problem with religious displays banned from publicly owned property. Private property owners can put up whatever kind of display they want, according to local customs and restrictions.

The constitution protects us from having to pass a religious test and from a state sponsored or state endorsed religion.

The list is merely a manifestation of the ratings generating hucksters.

Keep phrase left out of this is "In my opinion". Just saying it's so doesn't make it so. You have your opinion, other people have their opinion.

I agree 100%. It's their business and they can do what they want. Guess what? It's my money and I can spend it anywhere I want too. If I want to support companies that allow their people to say "Merry Christmas", then I should be perfectly fine doing it. They have their right to stop people from saying it at their stores and I have my rights not to shop at their stores. You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it, it is what it is.

Sean Troy
12-02-2009, 4:58 PM
I think my beliefs are adequately on display. Perhaps you can illuminate just what kind of list I would find acceptable since I have not offered any suggestions?
Greg, you've made it painfully obvious. Your word games are just so typical.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-02-2009, 5:06 PM
And now the thread did, indeed, turn political and I have closed it.