PDA

View Full Version : Milk Paint

Eddie Simmons
11-30-2009, 6:14 PM
What kind of finishes can I put over milk paint. It is a blanket chest that I made and would like to protect the milk paint.
Thanks
Eddie

Ed Gibbons
11-30-2009, 6:24 PM
I have used it and it works fine and is easy to apply. There are several water born options.

Scott Holmes
11-30-2009, 7:53 PM
Milk paint is pretty durable all by itself.

Rob Young
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
I've done a few things now and to me, the milk paint doesn't really get its final color until you apply a coat of boiled linseed oil. In my case, I did two coats about a day apart (thin coats) followed by three coats of paste wax.

The milk paint by itself is reasonably tough but not water resistant. In my case I wanted small degree of water resistance, hence the oil and wax. However for some real water resistance, it would have to be polyurethane. There are tips at the milk paint company sites (the real stuff, powdered, not the fake latex stuff in a can).

As I recall, any of the usual culprits when it comes to interior oil varnish should work. Danish oil might work just fine too. Water based finishes I'd be a little wary since they could lift some pigment during the application of the first coat. Just speculating there though.

Joe Cunningham
11-30-2009, 11:06 PM
I've used it all by itself, with boiled linseed oil (I usually apply with 0000 steel wool, with a different color underneath), with danish oil and even full gloss varnish. It all depends on the look you are trying to achieve.

It is versatile stuff and plenty durable all by itself. I've used both major powder version (Old Fashioned Milk Paint and Real Milk Paint) with great results from both.

William Hutchinson
12-01-2009, 10:22 PM
This clock has one thinned coat of black over three coats of red milk paint. This was barnished with steel wool and finished with several coats of a satin urethane. The idea was to give this white pine an aged effect.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/Shaker%20Clock/Finishedwithmilkpaint-plackadded.jpg

whit richardson
12-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Nice clock and nice paint treatment. I've used just paste wax but BLO might be an interesting addition.