PDA

View Full Version : Tormek truing tool in Northern VA

Chris Kerkstra
11-30-2009, 5:31 PM
I need to true up my Tormek but just can't see paying 75 dollars to get the truing tool that I would most likely only use once. I lent it to a friend who used it to freehand grind some axes, and now it's out of true. Is there anyone in the area that will lend me the use of theirs? Or I can bring it over and we could true it up then. PM me.

Michael Gibbons
11-30-2009, 8:54 PM
Chris, Seriously, get the truing tool. Ive had my Tormek about 5 years now and have had to true up the wheel about 15 times, especially after grinding turning tools which wears a hollow in the middle of the stone. The wheel has about, maybe 5 more truings then it will be to small to use.

george wilson
11-30-2009, 9:05 PM
I wouldn't lend my grinder with expensive wheel to someone to grind axes!! They can use a bench grinder.Or,as I used to do,they can be filed sharp (at least the ones we had could be filed.)

Scott T Smith
11-30-2009, 9:55 PM
I wouldn't lend my grinder with expensive wheel to someone to grind axes!! They can use a bench grinder.Or,as I used to do,they can be filed sharp (at least the ones we had could be filed.)

+1!!!

I use my truing tool quite frequently; I guess that I just like to have a nice, smooth stone.

Chris Kerkstra
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I didn't realize he would be using it to grind axes. Believe me if I had known I wouldn't have lent it to him. The thing is I don't use it for anything but chisels and plane irons. Once I get it true I should be able to keep it reasonably straight from then on. I am only an amatuer woodworker so it doesn't see that much use.

James White
12-01-2009, 11:05 AM
You could get the one Jet sells. Although it is not as nice.

James

Wayne Cannon
12-01-2009, 6:22 PM
You could mount any diamond-point wheel dresser (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32978&cat=1,43072,43080&ap=1) in a jig (http://www.leevalley.com/shopping/AddViews.aspx?p=43474) and use it to dress your wheels, taking very small bites at a time. Just be certain that it won't pivot (up-down or left-right) and that you maintain even pressure, as the Tormek jig-mounting bar will flex enough to prevent getting a truly flat surface on your wheel. I have the older (and cheaper) style Tormek stone-dressing jig, and it isn't much more than a diamond dressing tool mounted so it won't pivot.

I would probably start with the Tormek SVD-110 Tool Rest (http://www.tormek.com/en/jigs/index.php). which you probably already have, and a wide block of wood with a lip or rail to slide back and forth along the back edge of the tool rest, a hole at right angles to the lip/rail to fit the diamond wheel-dressing tool, and a thumb-screw, split block, or other means of clamping the dressing tool so it doesn't slide in or out.

Diamond-point dressing tools should be used at a slightly trailing angle from perpendicular.

Philip Rodriquez
12-01-2009, 6:35 PM
Chris,
just pony up.:D

Scott T Smith
12-01-2009, 6:40 PM
I didn't realize he would be using it to grind axes. Believe me if I had known I wouldn't have lent it to him. The thing is I don't use it for anything but chisels and plane irons. Once I get it true I should be able to keep it reasonably straight from then on. I am only an amatuer woodworker so it doesn't see that much use.

Chris, it seems to me that you should approach your "friend" about sharing in the cost for the truing tool, since they were responsible for the requirement to use it. I'd think that it would be fair for them to chip in 25% or so of the cost.

Jeff Willard
12-01-2009, 8:01 PM
Didn't it come with a truing tool? Mine did.

ETA: Go talk to Herb at the Woodcraft there in Leesburg. Drop my name. He may allow you to bring the machine in to true the wheel. But you need the truing tool.

Dave Mendoza
12-01-2009, 9:37 PM
Herb went down to North Carolina a couple of years ago. Boy do I miss him. He was great and he lived very close to my house. He never had a problem coming to my house to help out.

george wilson
12-02-2009, 12:19 AM
You have GOT to be very careful about who you loan tools to,period. Some people are just ignorant and may harm your valuable tool without realizing it. I guess you need to make sure the guy you loan it to knows the purposes it can be used for. And,you need to ask what he wants to do with the tool. Even then,you can come out on the short end of the deal.

I had had a high school student in one of my woodworking classes when I was doing my student teaching. we sort of became friends. He began to come to the school shop I was teaching at,when I'd be there at night using the shop.

I was busy working on something,when he announced to me that he had found a way to tell if the saw blade was on the circular saw the right way: the label would be on the outside of the blade so you could read it when the saw was on the arbor.

I didn't pay much mind to it.A few minutes later,he was pushing wood through the Unisaw,and smoke was BOILING out of the saw,BIG TIME!!! He had the blade on backwards,and didn't have enough sense to stop trying to forcefully shove the wood into the blade with all that DENSE smoke!!! Yes,the label was on the outside!!

I quickly re assessed his capabilities!! Good thing the blade wasn't carbide,or he would have broken off the teeth!!

What if I had loaned him a saw blade to use at home?

Jeff Willard
12-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Herb went down to North Carolina a couple of years ago. Boy do I miss him. He was great and he lived very close to my house. He never had a problem coming to my house to help out.

Oops! Those guys at Springfield don't keep me current on nuttin' :mad:.

Dave Mendoza
12-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Since Herb left, those two stores have gone downhill. They are a complete mess. I can never find anything and nothing is ever in stock. The only thing worse would be to loan a tool to a friend and have it come back broken.

george wilson
12-02-2009, 1:14 AM
Some other guy wrote about loaning a good chainsaw(or some power tool) to a friend,who broke it. The friend then bought him a HF power tool,MUCH cheaper than the one he broke!!!

Dave Mendoza
12-02-2009, 8:38 PM
Some other guy wrote about loaning a good chainsaw(or some power tool) to a friend,who broke it. The friend then bought him a HF power tool,MUCH cheaper than the one he broke!!!

and the person still called him a friend? That's why I don't lend tools to my friends. They can come to my house and I'll be happy to help them out, but my tools stay at my house. I learned my lesson years ago. I will never repeat it.

Jeff Willard
12-02-2009, 9:32 PM
I'm less than enthused about the state of the Springfield store, also.