PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Lathe

Eddie Simmons
11-30-2009, 5:08 PM
Has anyone replace the motor on a 3502B lathe, and if so how much was the motor. I have a chance to buy a used one this weekend, but do not know if motor is ok. Will not have a chance to turn it on.
Thanks
Eddie

John Shuk
11-30-2009, 5:14 PM
With a controller it could be expensive. Without obviously much less. Best bet would be to call Powermatic and see what a price would be.
It's kind of hard for me to think that the motor is bad and the controller is ok.
I could be way off with that though.

Eddie Simmons
11-30-2009, 5:17 PM
Thanks for the info.
Eddie

Ryan Baker
11-30-2009, 9:23 PM
I think a motor is on the order of $400 (without the controller).

Do you have some reason to think the motor does not work? It takes a lot to kill the motor on one of those -- it's probably fine. If you know (or have a strong reason to suspect) the motor is bad, I would avoid this lathe (there are probably other things wrong, like bad bearings). It's a risky deal to buy anything that big without checking that it works ... unless the price is right.

Jake Helmboldt
11-30-2009, 10:24 PM
The PM website has a parts lookup with prices. You need to pull up the lathe manual and find the part # and then enter that into the parts lookup to get the price.

Reed Gray
12-01-2009, 1:16 AM
I would bet that you could replace the motor through an electrical supply place way cheaper than you can through PM. I had to replace the bearings on mine, and did the belt as well. I got the parts locally, and had them installed for less than PM was going to charge me for just the parts.

robo hippy

Larry Marley
12-01-2009, 1:43 AM
I am with Ryan on this one.
I would expect the drive to fail before the motor. You can have the motor repaired. Are you just speculating, or did the seller say the motor is bad? You can rent a generator to bring and test the lathe if there is no 240v power available.