PDA

View Full Version : Rabone mortise gauge?

Charles Wiggins
11-30-2009, 2:57 PM
Does anyone know anything about these? I know Rabone is known in the UK for folding rules, etc., but I cannot find anything about marking gauges.

I picked it up at an estate auction. I would not describe it as a "fine" tool, but it seems competent. Any idea what it's worth?

Charles Wiggins
12-24-2009, 6:09 PM
Bump, bump, bump.

harry strasil
12-25-2009, 12:23 PM
What is a "FINE" tool , but one that works well?

Charles Wiggins
12-25-2009, 1:12 PM
If you want to get philosophical, how well is "well"? That's the sticking point, isn't it? Would you rather have a Craftsman or a Starrett?

harry strasil
12-25-2009, 1:15 PM
I have craftsman, starret, stanley as well as old original Eagle brands, and the really good brand Brown and Sharp, they all work well.

Matt Evans
12-25-2009, 1:46 PM
Maybe there should be a differentiation betwixt "Fine" and "Showy".

Russ Garcia just posted a few planes. They are definitely "Showy". Without using one, I couldn't say whether they are "Fine". (That said, I wouldn't mind having one at all! Very nice looking planes.) On the other hand, Krenov made "Fine" planes, but they weren't "Showy". Then you have planemakers like Brese and Sauer&Stiener, making planes that definitely hit both marks.

I was under the same impression as to the gauge. Rabone made (makes?) rules, but that is about all I have seen, so I don't really have much to add .

Caspar Hauser
12-26-2009, 5:23 AM
Rabone / Rabone Chesterman made (make?) decent jobbing tools. My Dad had a few, I have them now. An adjustable bevel, a mortice/marking out gauge and a try square if I remember right. The logo on your gauge looks newish (younger than me) you could maybe get a tenner* for it at a car boot sale.

How does it work? That's the question.

*₤10 is about $16 ish.

Charles Wiggins
01-02-2010, 11:24 PM
That's mainly what I'm after. If it works, it's a good tool, but did I pay too much or did I find the $2.00 Bedrock plane?

Caspar Hauser
01-03-2010, 5:58 AM
That's mainly what I'm after. If it works, it's a good tool, but did I pay too much or did I find the $2.00 Bedrock plane?

I couldn't tell you if you paid too much for it, you don't say how much it cost and truthfully only you can decide that.

But as regards the $2.00 Bedrock, as far as I am aware no. You have bought yourself an honest functional gauge of relatively modern manufacture.