PDA

View Full Version : Flourescent fixtures for a non-heated garage

George Farra
11-30-2009, 1:37 PM
Hi Everyone

I want to upgrade the incandescent fixtures in my garage to flourescent, while doing so I'm going to add 2 more fixtures for a total of 4. Its an oversized 2 car garage

Is there a specific fixture or buld that needs to be used since the garage is not heated and this subject to freezing temps in the winter.

This is not my woodworking workshop, that is in a toasty basement, but I also work on my cars in there and need better lighting.

TIA

George

Ed Hazel
11-30-2009, 2:07 PM
I have 2 4ft t8 fixtures that come on with the normal garage light switch the t8 I believe are good to zero deg. I also have 3 8ft t12 HO fixtures that I turn on when working on cars ect the t12 HO are good to -20 if I recall correctly.
I have not had a problem with either of them lighting up or buzzing.

Nick Lazz
11-30-2009, 4:39 PM
T-8 are the size you want... I can't remember all the specifics but they are a cold start lamp. Also, the ballast is what the buzzing comes from, not the bulb. If you want them to be quiet get a Type A, they make very little sound.
You can also buy a variety of colors if you want a brighter white etc.

I use these in my shop and am very pleased with their performance.

Josiah Bartlett
11-30-2009, 5:11 PM
There are low temperature ballasts available, like the IceHorse which is good down to -22F:
http://www.prolighting.com/fuicihlowtee1.html

Figure out what the minimum temperature you want to use the lights at is and spec from there.

Jeff Monson
11-30-2009, 8:35 PM
I have the high output fixtures, they light up to -20 but my garage never gets quite that cold. I purchased mine at menards, they carry the 8' HO fixtures now, I believe I paid around 60 dollars for the fixtures + the bulbs.

Scott T Smith
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
T12 fixtures and bulbs are being phased out in 2010 due to Government regulations, according to my electrical supply house.

T8's may therefore be a better choice. I have HO T12's in my open farm shop; they do work well in cold weather.

Izzy Camire
12-01-2009, 3:12 PM
What is HO?

Dave Gaul
12-01-2009, 3:24 PM
What is HO?

"High Output" .... I think!

David Hostetler
12-01-2009, 6:04 PM
T-8 4 foot fixtures are economical to buy and operate. I have 6 of them in my 2 car garage workshop and they work great. However it rarely gets down to freezing here....

Matthew Canull
12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
get electronic ballasts, low temp rated, t-8 lamps as mentioned above
I got 4 ft fixtures from lowes for around $17.

Mike Gager
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
i have t12 in my shop and they are only rated to like 60° although they do work below that. i didnt know there was a difference when i bought the light fixtures

t8s i guess are a better choice for colder climates

George Bregar
12-07-2009, 12:51 PM
i have t12 in my shop and they are only rated to like 60° although they do work below that. i didnt know there was a difference when i bought the light fixtures

t8s i guess are a better choice for colder climates Actually you can colder ratings on t12's. But t8's are better for any climate, much more efficient for same output.

John Powers
12-08-2009, 9:36 PM
It will say right on the packageing at the Depot "down to X temp". I have two of them. Regulars won't work. I think its the ballast. I recall they ate T-8's but again check the package.