PDA

View Full Version : Canon Rebel XSI SLR camera

Craig D Peltier
11-30-2009, 1:14 PM
Anyone here have one? I have been looking on amazon at cameras and may be down tot his one or the Pentax K20D. The one thing I hear about the Canon is this quote and I have heard about it in other reviews on there as well , have any of you had this issue?
" The major one, which has been referenced to in various forums such as dpreview and a few online review sites is poor AutoFocus. Not all cameras are affected, but mine was. If you shoot at an object from w/in 10 ft, it has trouble over 50% of the time picking up the autofocus point and often selects the wrong point. If you use center focus, it gets pretty close but final image is still a bit blurry. It becomes a bit sharper w/ the live view autofocus system. When I took some outdoor pics of some animals, i couldn't quite lock on what i was interested in. Even when taking shots of people outside w/ a prominent background, it seems to have trouble deciding if it wants to focus on the person or the background. I'd say that 20% of my shots were actually in focus and those look wonderful. The remaining ones had the focus off. So i'm gonna send my camera to canon for repair. I went to best buy and tried out a 40D and the focus was rock solid. If you get a good camera, kodus to u. "

Josh Reet
11-30-2009, 1:52 PM
I am on my 5th (6th?) canon DSLR and have had no AF problems with any of them. I've also previewed/reviewed a half dozen other Canon DSLR's and have not noticed any AF issues with them either.

that having been said, Pentax makes nice cameras and has a great set of fast prime lenses with their "limited" lens line.

Mark Patoka
11-30-2009, 3:44 PM
I just picked up the Rebel T1i, the successor to the Xsi and basically the same body. It's our first dSLR so I'm still learning how to use the advanced functions but have had no problems with the auto-focus so far.

All of the on-line reviews I read never mentioned a problem with the AF.

glenn bradley
11-30-2009, 6:37 PM
I own the Rebel model just prior to it including the IS feature. It has worked flawlessly. Battery lasts forever (I have a spare), tons of full quality pics fit on a 1gig chip (I have a spare 1 gig chip I have not even opened). Very satisfied. The IS lens add-on for my camera is half what I paid for the whole kit.

Josh Reet
11-30-2009, 7:04 PM
I own the Rebel model just prior to it including the IS feature. It has worked flawlessly. Battery lasts forever (I have a spare), tons of full quality pics fit on a 1gig chip (I have a spare 1 gig chip I have not even opened). Very satisfied. The IS lens add-on for my camera is half what I paid for the whole kit.

Glenn's statement is a bit confusing. I believe that he meant that he owned the model before the included lens had IS. The camera itself has never had IS built in because Canon has always had IS in their lenses, not in their bodies. This is in contrast to a company like Pentax that puts the IS system in the camera body. This means that any lens you put on the camera has the advantage of IS.

glenn bradley
11-30-2009, 8:53 PM
Glenn's statement is a bit confusing. I believe that he meant that he owned the model before the included lens had IS. The camera itself has never had IS built in because Canon has always had IS in their lenses, not in their bodies. This is in contrast to a company like Pentax that puts the IS system in the camera body. This means that any lens you put on the camera has the advantage of IS.

Thanks for clarifying Josh. You are correct. That is what I was trying to say ;-) I use a tripod and a cabled remote for close ups or just shoot by hand. Unless I am really zoomed in, the lack of IS is a non-issue.

However, the little Canon I got my parents for about $149 has the IS built in and you can move as much as you want and it will still freeze you. The main thing that drove me to a better camera was recovery time (waiting to take the next pic). Seemed like it took forever on my old (old, old) digital camera. Now when the mood strikes, I can set it for multiple exposure and just hold down the button ;-)

Josh Reet
11-30-2009, 9:02 PM
However, the little Canon I got my parents for about $149 has the IS built in and you can move as much as you want and it will still freeze you. The main thing that drove me to a better camera was recovery time (waiting to take the next pic). Seemed like it took forever on my old (old, old) digital camera. Now when the mood strikes, I can set it for multiple exposure and just hold down the button ;-)

Glenn makes a good point that now leaves me wanting to clarify MY post. The Canon DSLR's are the ones that have always had the IS built into the lens. The canon point & shoot and "prosumer" (Canon G11 and the like) have IS built into the bodies.

I can see why my friends are always coming to me for advice on this stuff. It has got to be confusing for someone who doesn't live/eat/breath it all the time. Sort of like woodworking....

Which is why I enjoy reading posts from guys like Glenn here on SMC. Cameras I get, tools can confuse me.

Craig D Peltier
12-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks I deicided on the Canon Rebel XSI and the telephoto 55-250mm lense , purchased on amazon. Wont get till xmas though, its a suprise :)