PDA

View Full Version : Two thumbs up for Kobalt Portable Compressed Air

Erech Myers
11-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I picked up this Kobalt Portable Compressed Air (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=82384-61735-J-6901-101&lpage=none) tool at Lowe's on black friday for $49 and I give it two thumbs up!

I'm putting up some crown molding in my soon-to-be-born daughters nursery and this thing is so quiet and convenient. It beats the heck out of having to lug a heavy compressor up to the second floor not to mention it makes no noise. My wife gives it two thumbs up too because she can't stand the noise when I turn on my compressor in the garage.

Also, the 20oz CO2 tank costs $35 which is the reason I did not buy one of these last year when I first saw it. I figured the $35 cost everytime I needed a new tank would get expensive. Come to find out the paintball industry has me covered. My understanding is that I can refill the tank at any place that has a paintball co2 refill tank such as Dick's Sporting Goods for $3.99. Sweet!

Also, for your information, this seems to be the exact same unit as the Jac Pac (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020445/22366/JacPac-Regulator-Kit.aspx) that Woodcraft sells for $109. I think you can get it for $89 on Amazon, but $49 at Lowes takes the cake.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/060761/060761011011md.jpg

bruce buren
11-30-2009, 1:00 PM
i bought this as well and so far it is an awesome addition to the tools

Andrew Schlosser
11-30-2009, 1:45 PM
Those things seem like a neat idea for a remodel while people are still working in the kitchen.
How come they use compressed CO2 and not compressed air? Does one exist on the market that you can refill with your air compressor?

Bryan Hosford
11-30-2009, 1:53 PM
CO2 because it stores in the bottle as a liquid and turns into a gas as you use it, which means you have alot more CO2 in the bottle than you could put just air.

Josh Reet
11-30-2009, 1:55 PM
I've looked at those and been tempted. But the lack of cheap refill option was annoying to me. Though I do have a paintball shop literally 2 blocks away from me. Hmmmmm....

Josh Reet
11-30-2009, 1:57 PM
What kind of PSI do these things generate?

John Harden
11-30-2009, 1:58 PM
I think the whole kit with bottle started out at $199. I got one on discount earlier this year for $99 or so. Can't remember how much, but the $49 you paid is a steal!!!!

I used it out back to shoot 23 gauge, stainless nails into my pool chaise's to help hold the slats down. Worked perfect.

I also take it with me offroading on my motorcycle. Very quick to air up the tires afterwards compared to a mini-compressor.

I didn't know that Dick's could refill CO2 bottles. That's good info. I'll take it by there when it is empty.

Regards,

John

Erech Myers
11-30-2009, 2:45 PM
I didn't know that Dick's could refill CO2 bottles. That's good info. I'll take it by there when it is empty.

Regards,

John

...I haven't actually been to Dick's yet, but I saw it on another website...I'm hoping my local Dick's has it, otherwise I'll just find some local paintball equipment dealer...

Pat Caulfield
11-30-2009, 3:38 PM
I have had one for a couple of years now and it always hooked up to my brad nailer on its shelf in the shop.

For refills and spare (larger bottles) go to your local paint ball store. Paint ball guns use the same bottles and are available in many different sizes.

My last refill of a 32oz bottle was $3. The 32 oz bottle usually lasts me a couple of months depending on how active I am with the brad nailer.

Pat

Erech Myers
11-30-2009, 5:01 PM
I have had one for a couple of years now and it always hooked up to my brad nailer on its shelf in the shop.

For refills and spare (larger bottles) go to your local paint ball store. Paint ball guns use the same bottles and are available in many different sizes.

My last refill of a 32oz bottle was $3. The 32 oz bottle usually lasts me a couple of months depending on how active I am with the brad nailer.

Pat

Thanks for confirming the $3 cost Pat! I knew I had seen that on another website, but couldn't find it again. I'll probably go pick up a spare tank soon so I don't run out in the middle of a job.:o

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-30-2009, 5:17 PM
I think the $49 package does not include a tank....at least, that's what's in my local Lowes...

Ryan Baker
11-30-2009, 8:41 PM
I've had one of those for a while now. It works well, and is a lot more convenient than lugging around a compressor for small jobs. The knob on the regulator promptly fell off of mine. I see that they now have a different knob, so maybe they fixed that problem. You should also pick up some spare o-rings for the bottle (preferably urethane). The CO2 freezes the o-ring and it tends to break when you unscrew the tank from the regulator.

Erech Myers
11-30-2009, 8:48 PM
I think the $49 package does not include a tank....at least, that's what's in my local Lowes...

Correct, it does not come with a tank. The filled tank is $35 at Lowe's, but is sounds like you can get them cheaper at a paintball store.

Erech Myers
11-30-2009, 8:49 PM
I've had one of those for a while now. It works well, and is a lot more convenient than lugging around a compressor for small jobs. The knob on the regulator promptly fell off of mine. I see that they now have a different knob, so maybe they fixed that problem. You should also pick up some spare o-rings for the bottle (preferably urethane). The CO2 freezes the o-ring and it tends to break when you unscrew the tank from the regulator.

Thanks for the tips!

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-30-2009, 9:23 PM
Erech, thanks for this tip. I stopped at Lowes on the way home, even though their website indicated my store had "limited availability"....I picked up the last one on the shelf. I almost didn't buy the 20 oz tank, since I have a large CO2 tank, but I figured this would be more portable and more easily filled...

Bob Borzelleri
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Erech...

Thanks again for the tip. I called 3 Lowes and finally found the last one on the shelf. Picked it up today. Nice deal.

...Bob

Justin Freund
12-01-2009, 12:57 AM
There is a deposit on the tanks. IIRC, the 20oz cost about 6 dollars to exchange. My plan is to buy a carbon fiber paintball tank that can be filled at any high pressure air fill station (paintball retailer) but I'll use an adapter to fill in the SCBA cascade at work. Then I won't even have to pay to fill the tank.

george wilson
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM
In air gun CO2 tanks,at least,the CO2 maintains 900 PSI for most of its charge. The first 4 or 5 shots are a bit higher,I believe.At the start of a competition,these first shots are discharged to stabilize the pressure. Similarly,the last several shots are not used.

I don't know if these are the same,but I think it is true that CO2 liquifies at 900 psi in any situation. Anyone? Air doesn't stay at the same pressure like CO2,and is not used in precision shooting.

Toby Peterson
12-01-2009, 2:50 PM
I have had mixed results with mine. When it works, I love it! I would suggest taking care when screwing in the bottle.:p I had one that didn't get seated properly and leaked the whole tank. I would also suggest removing the regulator from the tool when not in use. And finally, turn down/off the pressure when you have 2-3 nails left to drive to discharge the air from the system. As Justin said, the bottles cost $35, but you get a ~$27-$29 credit for your empty return bottle at Lowes, so the cost is roughly $6-$8 for a filled bottle.

Josh Reet
12-01-2009, 2:58 PM
Just in case anyone cares, price is back up to normal on Lowe's website. Deal is dead.

Craig McCormick
12-01-2009, 5:40 PM
No good to leave in a service truck. The temperatures on a warm day inside a car or truck will activate a safety pressure valve and release all the co2 from the canister.

AZCRAIG

Gary Gleave
12-01-2009, 5:50 PM
No good to leave in a service truck. The temperatures on a warm day inside a car or truck will activate a safety pressure valve and release all the co2 from the canister.

AZCRAIG
A warm day here means not having to wear you toque :D