PDA

View Full Version : VersaLaser issues

Todd Suire
11-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I have a VLS 2.30, 25 Watt.

I had just finished a run of 3 wine glasses. I changed out the rotary for the cutting tray, and attached the air assist cone when the system went haywire on me. The control panel screen on my computer started blinking and the machine powered off.

After some looking, I changed the 9v battery and reset the fuses. Now I can manually power on the machine, but there's no power button on the control panel screen. Whenever I click the "Home XY" button on the control panel, it's as if the x and y axis are inverted; the carriage is moving the opposite direction it should.

My machine is barely 9 months old, and has not endured hard use during that time. I have put a call in to my local sales rep, but haven't heard from him yet. Hopefully he's not on vacation.

Any ideas will be MUCH appreciated.

Scott Shepherd
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
No need to wait for the rep, call the factory tech support. They will help you right now.

(480)609-0297

Todd Suire
11-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Scott. I'll try to get them on the phone during lunch time today. I'll post a solution when I get one.

Phil Brevick
11-30-2009, 7:18 PM
Sometimes unpluging & pluging the USB cable can help. These things are not supposed to happen on a Monday afternoon as they are usually scheduled to happen on a Friday 5 minutes after the last tech guy has left for the weekend.

Hope you are up and running soon.

Phil

Ed Mihalack
11-30-2009, 7:44 PM
I had the same problem not seeing the power button on the control panel.
I uninstalled the UCP (control panel)... reinstalled and plugged in the USB. Magic...it worked.

Tony Lenkic
11-30-2009, 7:53 PM
Todd,

You did not mention if you turned OFF power to the laser when you plug / unplug rotary unit.
Make sure you do that to avoid any damage to electronics.

Todd Suire
12-01-2009, 1:44 PM
Thanks to all for the advice. I think it's gonna be okay now, I'll do some final testing tonite.

Here's the rundown:

I think the ultimate issue was corrupt Control Panel software/drivers which caused issues with the EEPROM on the laser. I spoke briefly with Tech Support (10 minutes before closing time) and they helped me reset the laser and software. The tech was very calm and collected, unlike myself who couldn't put two intelligent sentences together. :eek:

Upon rebooting my computer, I discovered I had a virus that basically maxed out my CPU and hardly allowed my mouse cursor to move on the screen. So, 3 hours later, I got the virus cleaned up and did a quick connectivity test; the laser homed perfectly! HooRah!

As I said before, thank you to everyone who offered advice. It seemed to be a little of everything.

Tony, I was told on my new machine the accessories are hot-swappable, but from now on I'm not taking any chances.

Thanks again. Hopefully tonite I can get on with my Christmas production. :cool: