PDA

View Full Version : Mystery plane? Stanley or Union or ?...

sam nichols
11-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I have had this joiner plane in my shop for almost fifteen years and always assumed it made by some other company than Stanley. I even used it a few times…and that meant I hade to tune it a bit and hone the iron…and although the iron was stamped Stanley Rule and Level Co New Britain Conn USA, I always assumed it was not the original.

A few days ago I dusted it off and began the, “I should sell this thing,” ritual and as I prepared it for the open market of Ebay, I couldn’t find any marking other than the aforementioned Stanley stamp on the iron, a patent mark…PAT FEB 3 – 91 …and a numerical casting impression on the underside of the frog…413. The thumb rest of the lateral lever is bent very similarly to those found on old Union Plane Co planes, the frog has no adjusting screw and the planes sole is corrugated. Oh, I think the tote and knob are made from mahogany.

I know that the type of lateral lever, along with the supposed mahogany tote and knob point this ting in the direction of a Union plane; however, I thought these had Union markings on the plane body.

I would greatly appreciate help in identifying it’s maker and worth.

steve swantee
11-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Not sure value wise, but looks as though it is made by Sargent from your pics.

Steve

Prashun Patel
11-30-2009, 10:55 AM
I agree with Steve (I'm a novice, though). I have a 418 Sargent and it's knob and depth adjustment knob and lever cap strongly resemble yours.

Jim Koepke
11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Sam,

Welcome to the Creek.

If you were interested in selling this, you could always list it something like, Stanley, Sargent, Union? in the title. This way you would let the buyer decide.

You do not mention the width of the blade or the length of the sole. These are also of interest to potential buyers. 24 inch is a #8 size and 22 inch is a #7 size.

Stanley bought Union Plane company in about 1920. After that they used Stanley blades. I think your blade dates to earlier than that if it has the "rule and level" designation, that was dropped in about 1911.

The lateral adjuster looks like a Union adjuster at the top and like a Sargent adjuster where it engages the blade.

At that time, there were a lot of companies making planes.
As I recall, Union used mahogany for totes, not sure about Sargent or other makers.

jim

sam nichols
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
thanks for the welcome and all the info...looking forward to paying it forward.
sam

steve swantee
12-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi Sam, I just re-read your original post and just noticed the patent date-somehow I missed it the first time-it is definitely a Sargent. I have a Sargent transitional plane with the same date on it.

Steve

Jim Koepke
12-02-2009, 3:17 PM
thanks for the welcome and all the info...looking forward to paying it forward.
sam

Sam,

You are surely welcome. One tip on listing for ebay to get a couple more eyeballs looking. Even if it is a Sargent plane, put "not Stanley" in the title if there is room. This will catch people with searches for Stanley planes. If you throw in words like "for parts or use" even more people will receive email alerts.

jim