PDA

View Full Version : Bed for an 18" American Girl Doll

Bryan Cowing
11-30-2009, 5:47 AM
Xmas request to build a doll sized bed for a granddaughter that's 9 yrs old. That also grew to include an Armoire to put doll clothes in, and while youre at it, make 2 so other grandkid could have one. Got the bed done, armoires are progressing. Since I built a full size bed for the grandkid a few years ago, I used the same plan (Shopsmith site, free plan ) and shrunk it in the computer, and printed it out. Armories , making them up as I go.
A few pics.

John Keeton
11-30-2009, 8:10 AM
Wow!! I don't want my granddaughter seeing these pics! That is a beautiful job on the bed. Great turnings, and wonderful style. I seem to recall the thread on the full sized bed, and the size reduction looks very much in scale.

I built an armoire this year for my granddaughter, but it is paint grade, and not nearly a "piece of furniture" as is yours. I feel like starting over now!:o

John Thompson
11-30-2009, 11:19 AM
That bed is very nice Bryan and you're looking good on the start of the Armoire. You did a nice job of down-scaling.

Well done...

Jim Rimmer
11-30-2009, 2:12 PM
You're setting the bar awfully high for us other Grandpas. I was in the American Girl store in Dallas this weekend and took spy photos of armoire, beds, and treehouse. I also got a catalog. Told LOML that I would not be seen publicly reading an American Girl catalog but needd it for photos and basic dimentions. (No, I don't feel bad about the spy work because we spent enough money on other stuff.)

Bryan Cowing
11-30-2009, 6:22 PM
Thanks! Armoire is like one thats on the wood whisper forum. Daughter sent me 3 links she found, this style seemed easier, so far.

Bryan Cowing
11-30-2009, 6:27 PM
Wow!! I don't want my granddaughter seeing these pics! That is a beautiful job on the bed. Great turnings, and wonderful style. I seem to recall the thread on the full sized bed, and the size reduction looks very much in scale.

I built an armoire this year for my granddaughter, but it is paint grade, and not nearly a "piece of furniture" as is yours. I feel like starting over now!:o My Vega copier makes it easy!;)
Heres a collage of grandaughters single 4 poster bed in maple from a few years ago.

Jim Becker
11-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Wow...nice work!

lou sansone
12-01-2009, 6:05 AM
I have made American doll beds, but nothing like this one. beautiful - really very nice - could you post the plans in a pdf format ?

lou

gary Zimmel
12-01-2009, 2:32 PM
Great work on the poster bed Bryan.
Something I bet that will be treasured......

Bryan Cowing
12-01-2009, 9:57 PM
I have made American doll beds, but nothing like this one. beautiful - really very nice - could you post the plans in a pdf format ?

lou the plan is available from the Shopsmith site. Just google 4 poster bed plan and clik the shopsmith one.

Bryan Cowing
12-06-2009, 5:44 PM
Thought I should follow up with final pics of the project. I made a mattress cover , stapled to the box frame I made. I also bought some quilted fabric, sewed on black binding tape for a blanket. $1 coins became bolt covers.

Clara Koss
12-06-2009, 7:05 PM
great idea to make the doll bed like the childs bed.... neato!!!!!:p

Allan Froehlich
12-08-2009, 5:41 PM
Amazing!

This type of gift will probably be remembered forever.

Kent A Bathurst
12-08-2009, 5:58 PM
Whoaaa!! THAT is very nice work.

If you ever leave The Left Coast, visit the Chicago Institue of Arts, and go through the exhibit of the Thorne Rooms. That is really amazing. Your work would fit right in.

Whatta great Grandpa!!

Bryan Cowing
12-10-2009, 5:58 PM
spent all day and got 1 put together!:eek: I may leave the dentil molding off #2 , as I think the top sticks out an inch too far, but Swmbo likes it so #2 may have to be the same. I guess two 8 year old's won't care anyway, they will be glad just to have one of these walnut wardobe's to put their doll clothes in.

Jim Rimmer
12-10-2009, 9:38 PM
Bryan, I have 2 granddaughters that would like those if you're not busy. :D Seriously, that is one good looking armoire. I'm surprised your wife hasn't asked you tp scale it up to full size.

Bryan Cowing
12-15-2009, 7:44 PM
WB lacquer on the armoires, sprayed on over 2 days. One armoire , I left the dentil off .

Salem Ganzhorn
12-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Great stuff! I have been asked to make a bed for an 18" American Girl doll as well. Could you post the dimensions? Also wondering about the jointery on those tiny pieces...
Thanks!
Salem

Bryan Cowing
12-23-2009, 6:02 AM
Great stuff! I have been asked to make a bed for an 18" American Girl doll as well. Could you post the dimensions? Also wondering about the jointery on those tiny pieces...
Thanks!
Salem overall size, 24L x 16.5 W x 16H. Posts 3 pieces, bed roll 2. Post is 1.5 square. mortise and tenon on the rails, foot and headboard stretchers, side rails held with 1/4-20 bolt. Bed was not that hard to make, using walnut, turns easy and holds fine details. Headboard, I rounded the pins to make it easier to fit into the posts. A few pics I took during construction.

136010Here you see the 1/2" square hole I made to hold a square nut for the bed bolt. This makes the bed able to be stored easy some time in the future.

136011mortise for side rail

136012 turn a pin on post upper to fit hole in lower. Make it slightly undersize so you have no alignment issues, glue will take up slack in any differences.