PDA

View Full Version : gloat - 'new' Drill Press

Joshua Layne
11-30-2009, 1:24 AM
Picked up an old Dunlap DP this afternoon via CL. Model 101.03541 - it does not seem to have a depth stop, but I may rig one and otherwise it should suit my needs just fine. Visual runout was negligible - I will measure it once I figure out how, but it looks to have original paint and be in excellent shape overall. Oh, and it was $40 :P

134004 134005

The main reason I wanted an older machine is that the heads are movable - the new DPs that I have seen (certainly the Delta POS that I own...) do not have movable heads. When I am drilling the side of a table leg, I want to be able to support the entire leg on my workbench and lower the head of the drill press down to where it is needed. Also, even if the base is bolted down to the workbench, I can swing the head out off the side of the workbench to drill the end of a leg (for levelers) held in a vise. I'll post pics as I actually get this imaginary bench built :)

Aaron Berk
11-30-2009, 1:40 AM
Sounds good, would love to see the "dream bench" I had a HF bench top DP for awhile and since it was such a little dp, I frequently swiveled the head off to the side for larger projects.

Good score on the $40

Rick Potter
11-30-2009, 2:08 AM
It looks to be in nice shape. Wasn't Dunlap the lower price line of Sears way back when?

Rick Potter

Joshua Layne
11-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, Dunlap was first used in 1941, when it replaced the Companion brand. This 'Dunlap" DP has a 'Companion' motor, so I am guessing that it dates to just about exactly 1941. This model was made by Atlas Press (the 101.x model number is the Atlas designation) and certainly, judging by the comparable DPs from that time frame, it is not top end. However, I think the manufacturing standards (and certainly the weight... :D) from that era still make it a pretty good machine. I will continue to keep an eye out for its big brother (the 101.038x) or a Walker-Turner of similar vintage, but for now this will do a better job than my BORG display-model Delta (with that glowing recommendation and the fact that it has significant runout, anyone want to buy it? JK- if/when I do sell it, it'll go to the classifieds, but I am not sure I want to inflict it upon any of you)

Oh, and BTW - OWWM is a wealth of information - would have never even had the info necessary to make a purchase decision without it. Once I get this cleaned up, I'll be posting it over there - it is more complete and original than any other example of this exact model that I have seen there (even original power switch... and ?maybe? power cord - that will be replaced)

I'll post pics of the bench as soon as I get it built - this will be more of a machine bench than a classic woodworking bench - it will house my chop saw, DP and just be a general work area against a wall.

Dennis McGarry
11-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Nice machine and find, So the dunlap replaced the champion brand? Guess the champion dp i picked up over the weekend for 20.00 bucks is a little old..

Rick Potter
11-30-2009, 1:49 PM
I agree that it is probably made as well as most new ones. I have a Sears tool catalog from the 40's. It is amazing how many tools they sold back then. For example, I believe there were six metal working lathes available.

Good find.

Rick Potter

Bill White
11-30-2009, 7:42 PM
I lucked up on a floor model Craftsman/Dunlap 10 years ago. All cast iron, and zero run out on the quill. That sucker is heavy and accurate. Best I can tell, it is about a 1950s model. I ain't EVEN interested in tryin' to find a better DP 'cause I paid $125.00 for it and a bunch of extras too. Let's see....a bench grinder with a cabinet was part of the same price.
Bill :D

george wilson
11-30-2009, 9:11 PM
Very nice drill press,and the table hasn't been drilled to death!!!:)