PDA

View Full Version : uses for bent up bandsaw blades

Andrew Schlosser
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
I have recently ruined 2 1/4" bandsaw blades, trying to cut a 6" round part. The blade bit into the part, the part rolled on the table, the blade got bent. Incredibly, I thought the first time was just a fluke, and tried it again. Almost had a nasty accident too.

So now I have 2 seemingly garbage bandsaw blades. Anyone have any good uses for these?

Phillip Bogle
11-29-2009, 11:36 PM
I have heard of the band saw blades being reground into knife blades.

Brian Brown
11-30-2009, 12:13 AM
So now I have 2 seemingly garbage bandsaw blades. Anyone have any good uses for these?

I have a use for one of them. Mount it on the front of your bandsaw where you can see it to remind you not to cut a round piece without a jig to hold it securely. :D

Daniel Shnitka
11-30-2009, 3:15 AM
Driveway Ice slick in hardwood with replaceable blade. Light weight and easily made.

Ken Whitney
11-30-2009, 9:23 AM
You can cut them into small sections, bend them about 30 degrees or so, and use them teeth up as "painters points" for finishing.

I also have used them in a similar fashion to keep plane parts off the bottom of the citric acid tank during de-rusting.

Good luck,

Ken

Keith Harrell
11-30-2009, 9:28 AM
What about a bread knife. The blade is a little wide but it may work out.

mike holden
11-30-2009, 9:37 AM
Andrew,
They make great scrapers for scratch stocks.

BTW, how do you like you 'bent?

Mike

Andrew Schlosser
11-30-2009, 1:51 PM
I really like the bread knife idea. Talk about the silver lining!

I love my recumbent bike, as seen in my avatar. In the last couple years, I've sold our mountain bikes, and now have 2 delta trikes, BikeE's come and gone, a Rans V-Rex. Even better, now I'm starting to get into building my own! Plans are for a convertible social tandem. Wait- what forum is this?

Honestly, there are too many hobbies, and not enough time...

Jeff Willard
11-30-2009, 2:53 PM
Cut them into 10-12" sections, bind them together at each end, and you have just made the most aggressive wood rasp known to man.

Walt Caza
11-30-2009, 6:17 PM
Hi Andrew,
Glad you were not injured.
I'm afraid it does not sound like you used what many would consider to be sound technique.
I have learned to cut round pieces mounted on a sled...
a panel with a guidebar to ride in the miter slot for slow, careful feeding.
I have secured the workpiece to the sled with screwed cleats plus wedges.

I had seen homemade bandsaw rasps referred to, and made a thread asking about it: (link)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93146
Might give you a little something to ponder.

Sounds like a stack of similar lengths, maybe a foot long or so, bound with tape?
Good luck with it,
play safe,
Walt

Bill White
11-30-2009, 7:29 PM
I use 'em cut into 12" sections +-, tape the ends, and use 'em to fluff up buffing wheels. Cleans up the glaze really well, and allows the use of different compounds on the same cloth wheel.
Bill

Caspar Hauser
11-30-2009, 8:03 PM
fein tool blades?

scott vroom
11-30-2009, 9:44 PM
Substitute for razor wire atop the survival compound fence when the depression comes and people want to eat your food. Or, maybe just use as bread knives.

Chris Ricker
11-30-2009, 9:55 PM
Driveway Ice slick in hardwood with replaceable blade. Light weight and easily made.

WADR, what's an Ice Slick?:confused:

Rod Sheridan
12-01-2009, 9:03 AM
I have recently ruined 2 1/4" bandsaw blades, trying to cut a 6" round part. The blade bit into the part, the part rolled on the table, the blade got bent. Incredibly, I thought the first time was just a fluke, and tried it again. Almost had a nasty accident too.

As another poster has noted, put a piece of it on the wall to remind you not to cut round objects on the band saw, unless they are securely clamped.

Regards, Rod.

Paul Steiner
12-01-2009, 11:23 AM
I cut them to different sizes and use them to help draw curves and ellipses.
I like the bread knife idea. What TPI would be good for a bread knife?

Dave Gaul
12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
My idea come from something I remember seeing in either Nov 09 Wood mag or the 2009 Wood mag shop ideas....

Attach pieces of the band saw blade to a block type assembly to use as dowell and plug trimmers maybe?

In the article they used hack saw blades I believe... guessing band saw blade would work even better!

Anthony Whitesell
12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Homemade bow saw blades.

Paul Atkins
12-01-2009, 1:19 PM
Razor wire substitue for shop security.

Jim Finn
12-01-2009, 1:27 PM
I have used them when making masking tape dispensers as the cutting edge.
I also have cut them to length and installed in my scroll saw and used them to cut fake stone used a lot here in construction. Cuts it easier than wood. I make step stones flat that way and cut them to size. I carve images into this" stone" with a dremel type tool. Messy work though.

Mark Patoka
12-01-2009, 2:07 PM
Another vote for a bow saw bread knife. We picked one up at a craft fair many years ago and it's literally the sharpest knife in the drawer. Just make sure to make a left- and right-handed version if necessary.

Steve Clardy
12-01-2009, 2:50 PM
I save up all of my bandsaw and circular blades and give them to a local knife maker.
He makes the Damascus blades with them.

John alder
01-01-2010, 9:27 AM
21/4 in wide would be too big but I recall an idea for small blades.Cut small 3 or 4 in sections and bend them into an adjustable picture hangers with holes on either end that you can fasten to the top frame of a picture

Scott Wigginton
01-01-2010, 9:36 AM
21/4 in wide would be too big but I recall an idea for small blades.Cut small 3 or 4 in sections and bend them into an adjustable picture hangers with holes on either end that you can fasten to the top frame of a picture

I believe he means he bent two of his 1/4" blades

Dan Duperron
01-01-2010, 9:48 AM
OK, I'm going to make what is perhaps an ignorant suggestion - I'm a very new band saw owner, so be gentle :-)

Can't you find someone with a smaller band saw who can use them? Just cut out the damaged bit, cut to the new length, and braze the pieces together?

It seems I've seen kits for band saw blade repair via brazing, but never tried one and I don't know if they really work.

Am I just nuts?

-Dan

David Winer
01-01-2010, 9:54 AM
[QUOTE=John alder;1298661... I recall an idea for small blades. Cut small 3 or 4 in sections ... with holes on either end ...[/QUOTE]

Cutting and drilling hard steel is a challenge for my woodworking equipment and skills. What tools do you use for fabricating sections from band saw blades?

Myk Rian
01-01-2010, 10:12 AM
cut to the new length, and braze the pieces together?
Am I just nuts?

Not nuts. It could work ok.
I believe silver solder works better.

Braun Reszler
01-01-2010, 10:28 AM
At first look I had thought it said 2 1/4" blade. I would had asked to buy it. The 2" thick blade is great for cutting certain types of ridgid insulation, I guess only an insulator would know that or be interested.

What we do is cut the blade to about 18 inches and put duct tape on the end for a grip and saw away, works very well with Foamglas. With the smaller width blades you would take a 4" length and a 6" piece of dowel and attach both ends of the blade to one end of the dowel to create a sort of gouging tool to dig out or form certain types of insulation.

Joe Kieve
01-10-2010, 6:44 PM
If I understood you correctly, you have 2 each, 1/4 inch blades. You could cut into smaller pieces and use in your jig saw (not saber saw). I have done this and let the grandkids cut small stuff on it. Just a thought...

joe

Guess I should've said scroll saw instead of jig saw. LOL

Paul Douglass
01-10-2010, 6:53 PM
You can do what I do. Hang then on the wall, every so many months put one back on the saw to see if it has straightened itself out yet. Still waiting....

Jeffrey Makiel
01-10-2010, 7:01 PM
OK, I'm going to make what is perhaps an ignorant suggestion - I'm a very new band saw owner, so be gentle :-)

Can't you find someone with a smaller band saw who can use them? Just cut out the damaged bit, cut to the new length, and braze the pieces together?

It seems I've seen kits for band saw blade repair via brazing, but never tried one and I don't know if they really work.

Am I just nuts?

-Dan

That's what I was thinking too. Hopefully, someone with experience on these brazing kits will chime in.

-Jeff :)

Paul Atkins
01-10-2010, 10:03 PM
I have cut my 154" blades shorter and made them work for a friends 92" blade. Silver brazing is another term used. I have more 'factory welds' break than my silver soldered ones. I also hang them up hoping they will get sharper too.