PDA

View Full Version : Bird House question

dennis kranz
11-29-2009, 11:31 PM
I have seen many of you make a bird house and leave the bark on. Does the bark stay on the piece with out peeling off in time? Or are you treating the bark or spraying it to stay on? I would not want to sell a piece and have them come back with a bark less house. What do you do?
Dennis

Jim Underwood
11-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I think it's mostly it's a "turn green" kind of thing. In my experience, if it's stuck on tight at the time of turning, it'll mostly stay. If you want to ensure it doesn't come off, you can always super glue the edges. At least this works with NE bowls. And with these mini birdhouses, you can turn it thin enough that the shrinkage doesn't make much difference.

Just make sure you don't have bark beetles... It looks even worse than peeling bark to have sawdust trickling out of a piece...:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Dennis I sprayed the 3 I made with Spar Varnish. The type used for outdoors. I put several coats on to kind of weather proof it. My sisters has had hers out for 2 yrs now and still looks pretty good. She brings hers in during the winter.

Jeff Nicol
11-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Dennis, The bark will stay on it the limb was harvested at this time of year and if it was harvested in the spring before the sap rises in the tree. If the tree has been dead for a while you will know right away if the bark will come off, as it will be loose or degraded to where it is slipping on the wood. Some can be saved with CA around where you have turned away the bark, but make sure if you are not going to finish the bark that you are careful not to get the glue on the bark as it will make if very shiney and take away from the natural look. If you plan on putting a finish on it like lacquer or poly then not a problem.

Have fun,

Jeff