PDA

View Full Version : Where to go first...

Matt Powell
11-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Okay... my disclaimer... I'm completely ignorant.

With that out of the way, I've been soaking in all I can from this forum and what a wealth of information and fun it has been....

Many of my questions have been answered. I've learned that the best way to acquire tools is by the project. I've learned from you all that I need to pick a project and acquire the necessary tools for that project and jump in head first.

However, there is one question that I'm sure is addressed somewhere around this neander forum but I can't find it... What are some recommended projects that work well as a first project? What should I consider as a good project that is doable and something I can proud of while getting some good experience with the hand tools?

Any direction/wisdom would be much appreciated... Thanks!

Sean Hughto
11-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Make a wall hung cabinet for tools - a simple dovetailed box with a rabbet or groove to accept the back and a frame and panel door. If your want to add a bit, make an interior drawer or two. Something simple like:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/3256578957_10049bc58c.jpg

Matt Powell
11-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Make a wall hung cabinet for tools - a simple dovetailed box with a rabbet or groove to accept the back and a frame and panel door. If your want to add a bit, make an interior drawer or two. Something simple like:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/3256578957_10049bc58c.jpg

That is great! But being such rookie.... I would need to locate a project that would give me some instruction and tell me what tools I would need for that project. I'm starting from ZERO here... I do love the thought of tackling something like that though...

Bill Houghton
11-29-2009, 11:55 PM
A bookcase or similar small case would be good - good practice in cutting wood to length and square across, and then correcting your cuts to be dead straight.

Where to go first? Where I always recommend: your local library. You're paying taxes for it and should be getting use from it. Many of the basic books on hand tool use will have a few good first projects at the back of the book.

george wilson
11-29-2009, 11:57 PM
He might need to possess the tools before making the cabinet so that they will fit into their places?

Matt Evans
11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Matt,

If you helped us out with a location maybe someone nearby might be able to give you a few pointers hands on.

A tool cabinet, a few GOOD saw horses, or something similar would be good projects for your first try. I would personally recommend the horses. You can throw a top on some horses for a bench, then build your cabinet on that.

Matt Powell
11-30-2009, 12:36 AM
If you helped us out with a location maybe someone nearby might be able to give you a few pointers hands on.

I'm in Katy, Tx which is about 20 miles west of Houston.

Guys, thanks for the input... I feel like to make it through a first time learning experience I should have some type of project instructions and tool recommendations pertaining to the project. But, maybe on wrong on that... just sort of feels like thing to do.

Matt Stiegler
11-30-2009, 12:44 AM
A workbench is a classic first project. A fabulous source for designs and info is Chris Schwarz's Workbenches (http://www.amazon.com/Workbenches-Design-Construction-Popular-Woodworking/dp/1558708405/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259555777&sr=1-1) book.

For what its worth (and I'm in the minority on this, apparently) I'm not a big believer in 'buy only what you need for the next project.' If you're a beginner, its not easy to figure out everything you'd need for a specific project at the outset, so only buying for the next project always struck me as a recipe for lots of frustrating extra trips to the borg and lots of inadequately considered purchases. To me, if you're serious about getting into the hobby, then there's a (neither small nor inexpensive) core of tools that you're just going to need. If you're disciplined enough to avoid early dumb purchases (easier said than done), I think its a better way to go. But, again, many folks here advise otherwise.

Oh, and welcome to the Creek.

Jim Koepke
11-30-2009, 1:16 AM
Matt,

Welcome to the creek.

Picking a project is easy for me, just ask the wife what is needed.

I am also one who does not necessarily go by the wait for the project to buy the tool theory. I also tend to have duplicates of tools that get a lot of use. For some, there is no reason for doing this, for me there is.

The trick at staying ahead of things when doing it this way is to learn about tools and what others will pay for them. Then, buy tools at or below market prices. If you do find yourself with too many tools, you can sell them for what you paid or a small profit. Of course, some tools may be hard to come by this way. Many tools do hold their value well.

Book, CD or DVD shelves are an easy first project. All that is really needed are a square, saw and a couple of chisels. A plane will help to smooth the wood. A drill would be helpful if you wish to attach the parts with glue and wood screws. Of course then you would also need a screw driver. The other option would be to drill and use dowels.

As someone else mentioned, saw horses have a bit of joinery that helps the new wood worker learn a few things. Again, this is simple if you have a square, bevel gauge, saw, some chisels and a plane. Some prefer saw benches which may be a bit more practical by doubling as a bench if you do not have a bench at present.

These projects are all easier if one has a bench to hold the wood while being worked.

Pedro Reyes
11-30-2009, 1:20 AM
Hi Matt,

I made a few boxes, I started making a small end table, and I did make a cedar birdfeeder before I tackled what I considered the first piece where I learned some. It was, as recommended in the first reply, a simple cabinet for my planes. It is, as a matter of fact, unfinished (both with no finish and not yet finished). But it taught me basics, it was fun, and it is useful.

I just took a notebook, sketched what I wanted, and went at it. I used poplar in case I totally killed the boards. I wanted to practice jointing so I used 5"-6" boards, I wanted to practice dovetails so I made the carcase using DTs, I wanted to use no screws (or nails of course) so I made all the inside pieces fit in grooves and dadoes. I only needed simple tools + a Record #50 and a #78. A dovetail saw (back then a Dozuki), a few chisels, a Jointer #7, a #5 and a #4, a marking wheel and basic layout tools. Like I said simple stuff plus the #50.

I pictured how I wanted the thing to go together, then I figured how to make the joints with my tools, I didn't have a dado plane back then so I cut a dado using a saw and a chisel (last pic). I had not read any real book that taught how to make furniture and I think that helped me discover a lot (including limitations).

Here are a few pics of the ugly thing. The spaces on the bottom are supposed to have drawers at some point, I did use some screws but only to attach hinges which let the slanted panel (where the bench planes sit) to open up revealing a shelf on the back for less used tools. (Don't ask me why I had a level on the last picture, I can't remember and I can't make sense of it now)

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/pars73/planesmall1.jpg
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/pars73/116-1660_IMG.jpg
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/pars73/116-1658_IMG.jpg
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/pars73/116-1656_IMG.jpg

Johnny Kleso
11-30-2009, 2:54 AM
Tool Box, Tool Cabinet, Step Stool, End Table, Spice Rack and ECT ECT

Robert Rozaieski
11-30-2009, 9:17 AM
What are some recommended projects that work well as a first project? What should I consider as a good project that is doable and something I can proud of while getting some good experience with the hand tools?

Here's a post I did some time ago for this very reason. I needed a cabinet for my shop but while I was in the planning stages, I thought it would be a good project for anyone just getting started with hand tools. So I posted a build thread that anyone just starting out should find useful/helpful. Here's the thread. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=80840&highlight=build)

What I thought was great about this project was that it builds all of the foundation skills you would need for larger furniture sized case pieces, but it requires very little lumber that can be purchased from any home center, and it requires relatively few tools to build. It has plenty of joinery to get you started...through dovetails, rabbets, dados, grooves, blind mortise & tenon, through wedged mortise & tenon, miters...some simple molding and shaping (molding can be bought or shop made since it's simple pine molding), and some simple fitting for the door. When it's done, you have a piece that looks really nice and can serve myriad purposes in the shop or around the house. It also doesn't take long to build.

In addition, I'm going to be starting a video project on my personal website in the next week or two that you might find interesting as well. It's a small tea table that should be a good beginner project but also provide a mild challenge the experienced woodworker if they try to limit power tool use. Just click through my profile to find my website. I've attached the suggested tool list for this project in another thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=125357). You may have to navigate through the thread a little to find the list. It's a .PDF file.

Also, continue to visit and post here often. The folks here are very knowledgable and helpful and are all very willing to share their opinions and experience. Be sure to ask plenty of questions, but try not to get yourself a case of Overanalysitis :D. Just relax and have fun.

lowell holmes
11-30-2009, 9:56 AM
Matt,
I am not affiliated with Homestead Heritage in Waco, but I have attended more than a few classes there. They have furniture making classes using nothing but hand tools. The cost is not excessive.
I would suggest the one day class for starters. When I took it, it was a Saturday class. They explained sharpening tools and how to make three basic joints, mortise and tenon, dovetails, and dados.
If you care to go past that, there is a three day class where you will make a wall shelf and a Shaker candle box.
Check this link.
http://www.homesteadheritage-woodworking.com/

If you see the roclking chair in the opening photo, I made that chair several years ago. All joinery was with hand tools.

James Scheffler
11-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I haven't read this book yet, but it sounds like just the thing for someone starting out in neandering:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=NEXT&StoreCode=toolstore&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html&BlogID=152

The guys who edited it, Joel and Chris, are very highly respected in hand tool circles.

Jim

Mark Maleski
11-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Matt,

I highly recommend the Popular Woodworking series called "I Can Do That." Their website it down as I write this, but you can get all the material you need from their website (I think the link is http://www.popularwoodworking.com/icandothat/ but can't verify while the site is down). There's a thorough overview of the simple tools and approaches needed for the series, plus several projects available for free download.

This series emphasizes the importance of building something useful right away, without waiting until you have acquired the perfect arsenal of tools. I can't emphasize that last point enough - it teaches you to build something useful with the material and tools you have on hand (or can acquire cheaply at the local borg). Projects are not wholly neander, but you'll get plenty of practice with hand tool skills through their projects. Joinery is fairly simple...but better to execute a simple butt joint well than to mangle an attempt at mortise and tenon.

I started with that series - it turned me from a tool gazer/collector to a woodworker. I've outgrown those projects now, but thankful for the boost it gave me. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Mark

Sean Hughto
11-30-2009, 1:26 PM
Alright. Get yourself a vintage Stanley bench plane or two (5 and 7 would be my recommendation) along with a marking gauge, and a straightedge. Fashion some winding sticks yourself. You can then put these to work on a wide straight grained piece of 8/4 S2S maple (or similar hardwood) to make it 4 square. Add some chamfers with the plane and some oil, and you have a useful and nice cutting board. You've also learned a gate way skill - getting boards flat and square.