PDA

View Full Version : Design advice sought - tool chest.

Scott T Smith
11-29-2009, 7:38 PM
My eldest brother and I are pretty close, and share in common interests such as antique engines, all types of metal fabrication and machining, automotive repair, etc. In addition, I have interests in woodworking.

We are both “tool junkies” so to speak, and have been very fortunate to each have some really nice shops.

As a combined Christmas / birthday gift for him (and me), I’m considering building a matched pair of tool chests; one for him and one for me. I’m drawn to the machinist chest style of tool chest, as this is a practical design for both of us.

However, I’d also like to build something that is uncommon and unique in terms of the wood used. One of my farm businesses is milling, drying and selling quartersawn oak, so that would be a natural wood for me to use for the chests. At present I have two bookmatched 7’ tall, 16” wide quartersawn red oak boards in stock with a nice variety of flake on them (I also have some 20” QSWO boards in the kiln!). Additionally, I have a lot more QSRO from the same log as the ultra-wide boards. My thoughts are to build something that will showcase the uncommon width of these quartersawn boards.

If I utilize them for a machinist chest, I could make both sides as well as the top from the same board, in essence wrapping it around the chest. Additionally, I could cut all of the drawer fronts from the same board, which would extend the grain pattern and ray flake across the open front of the chest.

My problem is with the dimensions. I really don’t want to reduce the width of the boards, so if I use them for the sides it would be approximately 15” – 16” deep, which is not a common depth for a machinist type chest.

If I utilize one board for the drawer fronts, and then have a recessed area in the top of the box, then I’d probably be looking at a height of around 19” (15” worth of drawer height, 3” of upper recessed area, and then another inch for an apron attached to the underside of the lid. This height is not out of bounds for a machinist type chest.

Chest width would probably be in the 24” – 28” range.

My challenge is figuring out how to come up with pleasing proportions that take advantage of the ultra-wide boards that I have. I’m not a very artistic person; my talents run more to the mechanical side.

Any and all advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Scott

ps - I have Jim Tolpin's toolbox book - lots of great info there!

David Gendron
12-02-2009, 2:00 AM
Wow that is a lot of Oak... lucky you!
As for proportions, there is a new blog that talk a lot about it, it is under DESIGN MATTERS, and I'm sur if you ask a few question, you will get great answers!!
Good luck!

Scott T Smith
12-02-2009, 10:37 AM
David, thanks for the advice. I'm having a hard time finding the "Design Matters" blog - I've check the SMC blogs and don't see it there - is there another location that I should look?

Thx.

Scott

John Miletta
12-15-2009, 5:56 PM
Scott,

Try this link. He`s offering a hardware kit that includes the John B. Hetzel`s wooden tool chest paper plan by American Furniture & Design CO. It`s a 26" non till type chest.

http://machinistchest.com/site/product_details.php?category_id=56&item_id=39

Scott T Smith
12-15-2009, 9:32 PM
Scott,

Try this link. He`s offering a hardware kit that includes the John B. Hetzel`s wooden tool chest paper plan by American Furniture & Design CO. It`s a 26" non till type chest.

http://machinistchest.com/site/product_details.php?category_id=56&item_id=39

John, thanks for the info. That is a 16" tall chest too, which matches up with the QSRO that I have. I'll add that to the list for consideration.

Scott