PDA

View Full Version : Finished cherry side table with veneered doors.

Mike ODonnell
11-29-2009, 3:28 PM
Here is my finished console after much help and direction from you folks here at Sawmill Creek. Thanks a million. The piece is cherry with elm burl veneered doors. I finished with a varnish gel to seal the pores and minimize blotching before completing with a polyurethane. Thanks for all the advice.

Bruce Page
11-29-2009, 3:33 PM
Wow! That is worthy of more than one pic!

Stunning work

gary Zimmel
11-29-2009, 3:47 PM
Another Wow...

And as Bruce said it would be nice to get a few more pics.
Great job Mike.

John Keeton
11-29-2009, 5:24 PM
High Fashion!! Great result, and great design. I really like the burl panels, but we do need close up pics to fully appreciate this!

John Timberlake
11-29-2009, 5:40 PM
Very nice job. Love that veneer.

Jim Kountz
11-29-2009, 6:38 PM
Thats a stunning looking piece!! The doors are just beautiful and I love the leg detail. Well done!!

Matt Winterowd
11-29-2009, 6:43 PM
That's gorgeous! Amazing work!

Mike ODonnell
12-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys for all the kind words. I thought I'd add a major cost saving $$ tip when it comes to the veneer work...

I looked into buying a vacumn pump but it was far far too expensive ($400-600 crazy). What I ended up doing was buying an aquarium oxygen bubble pump from Walmart. I opened the pump and flipped the diaphram block so it sucked air IN instead of pumping air OUT. It actually had two diaphrams so I used both ports. It worked like a charm. This cost like $20-25 bucks. I got about 5-10 mmHg pressure... which was plenty. I put a flat particle board (or MDF) above and below the veneer door when it was in the vacumn bag so that the pressure was evenly distributed. You see on the net that these boards usually have channels cut in them to distribute the vacumn. The door was dry in about 2 hours using regular wood glue. Of course I practiced before doing the actual doors. ;-)

The vacumn bag was a heavy duty vinyl shower curtain from Walmart as well. I folded in half and cut to size. I glued the two sides with vinyl glue from the auto section from... yes... Walmart. $5 bucks tops. One side was left open to insert the door. I closed the open end between a 3/8" dowel and long 1" wide board with a 3/8" dado cut in it to receive the dowel. Again, the open end of the vacumn bag was placed between the long dowel and dado board.

My vacumn system literally cost about $35. I detected NO air bubbles under the veneer even though that burl veneer is a really really warpy piece of veneer. The doors are about 16" x 20".

I hope my vacumn tips are helpful. The weekend craftsman need not spend major $$$ to add veneer to our projects.

Jim Paulson
12-07-2009, 8:07 AM
Hi Mike,

Great work. I'd love to see closeup pictures of the veneered panels too. Thanks for talking about veneering with all your experiences using a homemade vacumn setup for gluing. I especially appreciate your mindset of frugality in this tough economy.

I have some veneering that I'll be doing in the near future with some chippendale mirrors and your post was helpful.

Jim

http://www.chairsbypaulson.com

Jim Tobias
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Mike,
Beautiful work! The table and panels are very nicely done! I wouldlove to see close ups of the door panels. Is it a beaded edge? Can't tell for sure form the pictures.

Jim

Jimmy Williams
12-07-2009, 1:03 PM
Wow is about all I can say on this one. Beautiful work all the way around. I too would like to see more close-up pictures.

BTW - It may just be me, but when I look at the book match on the middle two doors, I see a skull and cross bones.

John Thompson
12-07-2009, 1:28 PM
Beautiful piece as I almost missed this thread. That burl reached out and grabbed my eyes by the socket.

Well done...

Thomas Pender
12-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I also try to make less expensive (cheap) ways of doing things, but your aquarium pump plus the shower curtain for the veneer takes the cake. Considering the beautiful product you put out, your method speaks for itself!

Brent Ring
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Absolutely stunning and certainly we need more pics! Great work!

Bob Carreiro
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
When I see jobs like this, it makes me feel out of my league! Good job.

Jim Becker
12-09-2009, 8:01 AM
That's really wonderful work, Mike!

Mike ODonnell
12-12-2009, 9:27 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. They motivate me to start another project. Thought I'd add a second pic of the doors per the requests. Sorry, my photography does not do the veneer justice.

Ed Nelson978
12-13-2009, 7:31 PM
Beautiful work and excellent choice of veneer!

Can you give some info on the pump? What size did you use? I may have access to one and yours obviously worked quite well!

Mike ODonnell
12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm adding a couple more pics. Close-up of the veneer doors. Sorry my photography does not do the veneer justice. Other pics are of the vacumn system. The vacumn was an aquarium pump. Its open and I'm pointing to the diaphram block that gets pulled out and rotated 180 degrees to make the pump a vacumn.

keith ouellette
12-15-2009, 8:21 AM
Great job Mike.

When I looked at the picture closely it seemed like the legs are all one piece up to the top making them part of the frame for the sides and front (hope that makes sense the way I wrote it)

Is that true or does it just look that way in the picture?

If so was there a particular reason you did it that way.

Sam Layton
12-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Great job Mike. I also like your vacuum system.

Sam

Jack Camillo
12-15-2009, 7:07 PM
another WOW, that's a great piece of work there

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-15-2009, 7:59 PM
Wow - that is one beautiful piece! I also would like to see some more pics, and also a little more about the construction. You definitely get this month's "MacGyver" award for that vacuum press tip!!

Jimmy - scary, but I see it too.....

Eric Stefl
12-24-2009, 2:59 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm adding a couple more pics. Close-up of the veneer doors. Sorry my photography does not do the veneer justice. Other pics are of the vacumn system. The vacumn was an aquarium pump. Its open and I'm pointing to the diaphram block that gets pulled out and rotated 180 degrees to make the pump a vacumn.

Can you clarify how the tube was hooked up to the bag? Did you use a check valve at all?

Jeffrey Makiel
12-24-2009, 8:08 PM
Nice. Absolutely nice!
-Jeff :)

Mike ODonnell
12-27-2009, 4:31 AM
Eric S... Maybe you can zoom in on the pic to see the tube within the bag. The tube was positioned in the bag before I glued the sides of the bag with the vinyl glue. I did not use a check valve.

William Hutchinson
12-27-2009, 6:18 AM
Very nice indeed. While the veneered doors are stunning, your craftsmanship of the piece is excellent.

Shower curtain and fish pump--who knew!!

Jon Grider
12-27-2009, 6:19 PM
Very handsome!

lou sansone
12-28-2009, 7:56 AM
great looking piece

lou