PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Under New Ownership?

Rob Sack
11-29-2009, 1:38 PM
A local tool repairman mentioned that Milwaukee has been acquired by the parent company of Home Depot? Has anyone else heard this?

scott spencer
11-29-2009, 1:41 PM
TTI/Ryobi bought Milwaukee a few years ago...maybe even 4 or 5 years. Nothing to do with HD that I know of, other than TTI's retail association with them.

Harold Burrell
11-29-2009, 1:43 PM
TTI/Ryobi bought Milwaukee a few years ago...maybe even 4 or 5 years. Nothing to do with HD that I know of, other than TTI's retail association with them.

So...Milwaukee is justy high priced Ryobi now??? :eek:

Harry Hagan
11-29-2009, 2:04 PM
Last summer Home Depot held a “contractor’s day” at the store down the street and the Ridgid factory rep. told me that the Ridgid, Milwaukee, and Ryobi tool brands were all owned by the same parent company so a relationship on that level does exist.

Rod Upfold
11-29-2009, 2:06 PM
From their website...

New Ownership, Global Growth

Milwaukee Electric Tool is a subsidiary of Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd. (TTI), ttigroup.com.
Founded in 1985, TTI is a leading marketer, manufacturer and supplier of home improvement and floor care products, employing over 20,000 people worldwide. TTI's global brand portfolio includes Ryobi®, Milwaukee® and AEG® power tools, DreBo® carbide drill bits, Homelite® and Ryobi® outdoor power equipment and Royal®, Dirt Devil®, Regina® and VAX® floor care appliances. The acquisition takes advantage of TTI and Milwaukee’s marketing and distribution networks and enhances Milwaukee’s ability to expand its markets and product portfolio worldwide.

Jason Beam
11-29-2009, 4:20 PM
I have to say that I haven't noticed much decline in Milwaukee's tool quality since the acquisition. To be fair, though, my newest Milwaukee tool is just about a year old, now.

I'm not ready to drop anchor on Milwaukee just yet. Just because the guys who own Ryobi also own Milwaukee, the Ryobi folks may actually be gaining more from the Milwaukee side than vise versa. I dunno, but it's still a little early to call them out yet :)

Howard Acheson
11-29-2009, 4:48 PM
What is different about the Milwaukee situation is that they were allowed to keep their own engineering and manufacturing. Virtually all the other power tools brands owned by TTI are manufactured by Ryobi.

Of course, Ryobi is the manufacturer for a number of the Ridgid brand power tools. But, Emerson Electric still owns and controls the Ridgid brand.

Rob Sack
11-29-2009, 5:12 PM
I have to say that I haven't noticed much decline in Milwaukee's tool quality since the acquisition. To be fair, though, my newest Milwaukee tool is just about a year old, now.

I'm not ready to drop anchor on Milwaukee just yet. Just because the guys who own Ryobi also own Milwaukee, the Ryobi folks may actually be gaining more from the Milwaukee side than vise versa. I dunno, but it's still a little early to call them out yet :)

Well, according to the repairman that told me about Milwaukee's new owners, he has seen a drop in quality as far as internal components were concerned. The new Hole Hawgs evidently now have a smaller arbor shaft bearing that is inferior to the original bearing. These newer bearings are wearing out prematurely causing the Hole Hawgs to have a tendency to explode internally. The day I was at the repair shop, they already had 2 Hole Hawgs come in that week that had exploded inside from bearing failure. Milwaukee has always been the gold standard of quality. I hope their new corporate bean counters aren't going to change that.

Eric Roberge
11-29-2009, 10:08 PM
the Ridgid factory rep. told me that the Ridgid, Milwaukee, and Ryobi tool brands were all owned by the same parent company so a relationship on that level does exist.

That's what I was told at the Factory Direct Tool store the other day also.

scott spencer
11-29-2009, 11:18 PM
So...Milwaukee is just high priced Ryobi now??? :eek:

Hardly...most of the MW line is still pretty fine stuff IMHO. That's kind of like saying Bosch is just high priced Skil and DW is just high priced B&D. There's often a world of difference in design and materials of construction.

glenn bradley
11-30-2009, 12:06 AM
So...Milwaukee is justy high priced Ryobi now??? :eek:

That's right. Anyone can see that. Just pick up a Ryobi circular saw or router and then handle the Milwaukee equivalent. There's just no difference. I mean how do they qualify the higher cost when the Milwaukee is just a . . . mmph, sshhk, boo-wah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha . .:D. oh *pant* *cough* *wheeze*, I'm sorry:rolleyes:. I just couldn't keep going with a straight face. Ha, ha, ha hee-hee, heh, heh, heh . . . . whooo :o.

Richard Andersen
11-30-2009, 2:29 AM
Well, according to the repairman that told me about Milwaukee's new owners, he has seen a drop in quality as far as internal components were concerned. The new Hole Hawgs evidently now have a smaller arbor shaft bearing that is inferior to the original bearing. These newer bearings are wearing out prematurely causing the Hole Hawgs to have a tendency to explode internally. The day I was at the repair shop, they already had 2 Hole Hawgs come in that week that had exploded inside from bearing failure. Milwaukee has always been the gold standard of quality. I hope their new corporate bean counters aren't going to change that.

Do you when or what model number they started using smaller bearing on the Hole Hawg?? I've been looking occasionally for one on Craigs list.

Mike Foreman
12-01-2009, 7:35 PM
Do you when or what model number they started using smaller bearing on the Hole Hawg?? I've been looking occasionally for one on Craigs list.
As far as I can tell, that bearing has never changed. The oldest and newest parts lists I have for the Hole Hawgs (Serials 413-1001 and 472E) both show the same part number for that - 02-04-1700.

It's possible that they changed the part itself without changing the number, but they'll generally change the part number when they make a change like that.