PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout a 50 year old 2x4

Phil Phelps
03-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Lee Shierer wondered if I had a 2x4 to go with that old plywood. Well here she is. A full 1 5/8" x 3 5/8". Anyone using a measuring device like those pictured? I suppose I live in the past. Hope Eisenhower gets re-elected. ;)

kris lusardi
03-27-2003, 11:56 AM
I'd vote for Ike !

keith zimmerman
03-27-2003, 11:59 AM
It is in my tool box. It was my grandfather's from when he was a general contractor in the 60's. Mine even has the brass extention piece.

BTW, all the old 2x4s I ever saw measured a true 2"x4", or at least the ones in my old house were.

:D

Lee Schierer
03-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Look at how tight that grain is. Don't see that much these days in construction lumber.

Bob Janka
03-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Phil,

I bought an old 6' "Lufkin" folding rule with the 6" brass extension for $8.00 at a local meeting of the Mid-West Tool Collectors Association. I have since seen some of these in an Ace hardware stores for $8-12.

I like using mine as a depth guage or when I'm setting the height of a table saw blade. I set the extension to my desired measurement and raise the saw blade until it just touches the wooden part of the rule.

I also had to go to Ace to get my 1/2" by 12 foot steel measuring tape. It has a brake on the bottom to keep the tape from retracting. By default, it is engaged. This way, I can pull out the tape to the approximate measurement and use it without having to set the brake. The only drawback is if I try to stand the case on edge and push down on it. That releases the brake and I have to pull the tape back out. :-}

Who says old tools don't work? :D

Cheers,
Bob Janka
user of ANY tool which does the job...

Dave Anderson NH
03-27-2003, 12:55 PM
I use my Lufkin 6 ft folding rule all of the time. For inside measurements it's a lot more accurate if you use the brass extension. Great for measuring diagonals inside a carcass when trying to determine squareness. By the way, that's a nice length of SYP you have there.

Dave Richards
03-27-2003, 1:24 PM
Keep it up. More vintage lumber.

Wish I had pictures of it but the house in sothern IA where my mother grew up was framed with walnut 2x4s.

Phil Phelps
03-27-2003, 1:45 PM
Originally posted by Dave Richards

Wish I had pictures of it but the house in sothern IA where my mother grew up was framed with walnut 2x4s.

Dave, I've heard of such things before. "My uncles house was framed in redwood out in California", a guy once told me. If anyone out there has one of these gems to share, I'd love to hear and see some of it.

Jason Roehl
03-27-2003, 7:15 PM
My house is oak 2x4s. Just don't try to put a nail in them. When the nail breaks off, and you hammer subsequently hits the 2x4, it too will break. Ok, maybe they're not quite that hard, but they are the full 2" x 4", 24"o.c., with 1x @ 24"o.c. in between. Oh, yeah, all the lath is oak, too. The house was built in '06 or so.

Dave Crabbs
03-27-2003, 7:28 PM
Originally posted by Dave Richards

Wish I had pictures of it but the house in sothern IA where my mother grew up was framed with walnut 2x4s. [/B]
The farm house that my Dad grew up in is framed and sheeted in black walnut. My Dad told me that when the house was built his granddad scoured the land to fine select walnut to build the house with. Dad remembers seeing a sheeting board that was 14" wide and not a knot in it and the studs are a full 2x4. The house still stands and belongs to my cousin and her husband. Wonder what it would cost today to build it.
Dave