PDA

View Full Version : Shop update

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Folks....Saturday morning I had a reoccurrance of my vertigo attacks. By Saturday afternoon things were better and I managed to finish painting the trim on my new shop...Finally!!!!!! ..see photo #1 the doors were spray painted by a neighbor who is a pro painter...Then I began putting up the insulation barriers in the attic of the shop.....see photo #2..... As requested by others....they wanted to see bare studded walls see pictures #3 & #4. Sunday morning I began building and installing a mounting frame for the Square D QO breaker box.I built with stiles of 2x2 and rails of 2x4. I filled in the open areas with styrofoam insulation and covered it with 3/4" plywood. Using 1/4" x 3" lag bolts I fastened it between 2 studs. I mounted the breaker box to it after knocking out the 2" hole I'm using to bring in the copper service entry cables. Using the hole for a templet, I marked the hole; removed the box and using a hole saw I cut the 2" hole through the mounting frames, sheathing and lap siding of the building. Then I remounted the breaker box only to find the 2" nipple I had was about 2" too short. That's it for today....get cleaned up go to BORG and get a longer nipple. At least I got something done beside painting! Progress!

Jim Ketron
10-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Looking Good Ken!
The hard parts over Now to the fun stuff:D
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2004, 11:36 PM
In the first photo I've got the breaker box in place....then realized I needed to remove the 2" "plug" to use it as a template......In the 2nd photo the 2" hole exiting the building. Once I get the new longer nipple....meter box in place.......Plumb bob the mast....drill through the facia and roof.....mount mast and weather head.....run cables ....call inspector.......call power company.....next week I could have power! At last...some progress!

Dick Parr
10-04-2004, 12:23 AM
It sure is starting to take shape Ken, next thing ya know you will be making saw dust. :p Keep posting the pictures.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-04-2004, 12:38 AM
Sorry to hear you have Vertigo. It can be tough.

But, you really know how to hurt a guy. BOOHOO!

Not only do I not have a shop that size, I don't have the space to put one up, either.

Seriously, That looks like it's going to be a great place to work in.

Keep on Keepin' on. :D

Bruce ;)

Frank Pellow
10-04-2004, 6:49 AM
Thanks for the pictures Ken. It's interesting to see someone else's shop at just about the stage as mine. I will likley be using the same breaker box and maybe (just maybe) I will be able to show a picture of it mounted on my wall next week.

I don't understand just what you are doing for attic insulation. Please explain.

Jim Becker
10-04-2004, 8:14 AM
Lookin' great, Ken. And don't worry about that little conduit being too short...it's a law that things like that have to happen and force yet another trip to the store. I think it's a conspiracy between the oil companies and Mr. Murphy...

David LaRue
10-04-2004, 8:20 AM
KEn,

I see that you have the box nested inside the studs. Are there enough knock outs in the top and bottom to run all your wires? (Today and for future expansion?) :confused:

David

Kelly C. Hanna
10-04-2004, 8:47 AM
Nice looking shop Ken...vertigo is no fun, I have a touch of that myself.

Tyler Howell
10-04-2004, 8:56 AM
Go Ken Go! The police approve!:D

Chris Padilla
10-04-2004, 5:25 PM
Ken,

Nice job...what is the finish material on the inside of your shop? Drywall or something else...I forget what you are doing.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-04-2004, 7:36 PM
Chris....the interior finish will be mainly drywall. I am considering strategically placing some 1/2 plywood in places. The wall where the breaker box is I'll probably use plywood and screws. Then if I need to get there to do additional electrical...it's accessible.

Boyd Gathwright
10-04-2004, 11:15 PM
.... Nice looking Ken, especially from the outside. Are those 2X3 studs you are using or 2X4?

Boyd :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Boyd....those are 2x6 studs.

Boyd Gathwright
10-04-2004, 11:55 PM
.... Sorry, must have been the angle in the picture that made me ask. 2X6’s definitely make a whole lot more sense.

Looking sharp.

Boyd ;)

<O:p</O:p

Jim Ketron
10-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Ops Ken I cut in before you finished posting :o

Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the pictures Ken. It's interesting to see someone else's shop at just about the stage as mine. I will likley be using the same breaker box and maybe (just maybe) I will be able to show a picture of it mounted on my wall next week.

I don't understand just what you are doing for attic insulation. Please explain.
Frank.....I haven't made the final decision on the attic insulation yet..Since I broke my back...crawling....bending.....stooping.....kneeli ng....has become a problem. With that in mind...I'll probably pay somebody to blow in fiberglass insulation in the attic. Now...before I start the electrical installation is the best time to install the insulation barriers that preserve at least a 1" air channel under the roof sheathing. Even if I would use fiberglass batts, these cardboard..plenums are cheap insurance that I maintain a proper air space for air to travel from the soffits up along the roof sheathing and out the roof vents. I'll be using fiberglass batts in the walls. That I can install myself. But, I'll hire out the attic insulation.

Frank Pellow
10-05-2004, 1:44 AM
Frank...
Now...before I start the electrical installation is the best time to install the insulation barriers that preserve at least a 1" air channel under the roof sheathing.

Now I understand. I couldn't figure out what I saw on the underside of the roof, even though you used the words "insulation barriers". I never knew that there was such a thing as an insulation barrier and I thought that you might be attaching some sort of insullation, not knowing that there had to be air space above it. Thanks for clearling this up (and sorry for doubting that you knew what you were doing).

Chris Padilla
10-05-2004, 6:29 PM
Chris....the interior finish will be mainly drywall. I am considering strategically placing some 1/2 plywood in places. The wall where the breaker box is I'll probably use plywood and screws. Then if I need to get there to do additional electrical...it's accessible.
I guess you are putting 1/2" drywall everywhere?? That will "match-up" thickness-wise nicely with 1/2" plywood, I think.

I have a section of a wall in my garage that was sheathed in 1/2" (maybe 1/4") plywood and I am now thinking to put something nicer in its place just to show a "woodworker" lives here.... :)

Jim Becker
10-05-2004, 6:54 PM
I have a section of a wall in my garage that was sheathed in 1/2" (maybe 1/4") plywood and I am now thinking to put something nicer in its place just to show a "woodworker" lives here....
The T&G pine with a natural finish like Dave Anderson and Andy London have would be a nice idea...were I doing it again, it would be a serious consideration for me. I love the warmth of the natural wood and although the T1-11 in the original portion of my shop gives that color value, it's just not the same as solid stock!