PDA

View Full Version : Still looking...

rick carpenter
11-28-2009, 4:23 PM
What are the negatives if any, price excluded, for an impact drill/driver versus an impact driver? Thx

FRITZ STOOP
11-28-2009, 5:00 PM
Since the advent of the cordless impact driver, building things became a lot easier. They are for adding torque to a fastener, aiding in the seating process.The hammer drill is for drilling holes into reluctant material, i.e., concrete. Two very different animals, ofter used in sequence but not interchangeably. I occasionally put a drill bit with a hex quick connect end in my impact motor for convenience, but mostly I set a drill up for pilots and drive the screws home with the impactor.
Another use for the impactor is with an adaptor for socket wrenches. Great for loosening stubborn nuts or hard to get to situations.
Lastly, the combo drill/hammer tools are really a drill with a "sort of" hammer function that is only effective when using smaller bits (1/8", 5/32" or maybe 1/4")
I own a proper hammer drill, corded, a 18v drill/hammer cordless (infrequent use), a 1/2" corded drill motor, a 14v cordless drill and both a 14v and 18v cordless impact motors, all Bosch. I have a collection of old Makita cordless drills and impactors, but no longer use them as I find them less robust than Bosch. My 2¢.