PDA

View Full Version : sanding a band saw box

Lloyd Brown
10-03-2004, 10:25 PM
What tool do you use? Besides hand sanding. I want to kill electrons!! I hate hand sanding but if I have to , I have to! Please tell me there is a sander that can get into those tight curves.

Betsy Yocum
10-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Depends on how tight those curves are. I have a spindle sander that has a 1/2" spindle - so you can go pretty small - but not much more unless you want to use a dowel rod wrapped in paper. I also set mine in a vise (before attaching the bottom and use a 5-gallon paint stick with the appropriate grit paper glued to it and use it like a file. Works great.

Hope that helps. :)

Betsy

Carole Valentine
10-03-2004, 11:29 PM
I hate sanding too! Guess that's why I have slowed down on the band saw boxes. I use a spindle sander and try to make stuff that doesn't have any curves it can't handle. I have been known to cut a piece of vinyl siding or other flexible plastic, stick sand paper on it and bend it into the curve I want. Best thing to do is use a good sharp band saw blade and practice your sawing so you don't get any really bad saw marks. Those are the devil to get out in tight places.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-03-2004, 11:36 PM
I do the bulk of bandsaw box sandiing with the Boss spindle sander. You can see them at Lowes and elsewhere. This made them a lot more fun to do. Alan in Md.

Perry Holbrook
10-04-2004, 6:45 AM
If your bandsaw can be fitted with a sanding belt, it makes the sanding a lot easier. When I replaced my old Sears 12" BS with an 18" Jet, I converted the 12" into a permanent ribbon sander. You can but custom sanding belts from someone like Klingspor that will fit any saw. Buy then in regular X weight (not J weight it is too flexible) cloth at least 6" wide and just tear them into the width you need. You may find it necessary to rig up a small platen for a backing of the belt.

Perry