PDA

View Full Version : USB latency issues

Stuart Williscroft
11-28-2009, 3:20 PM
Hello creekers,

Is anyone out there running Windows XP Pro on a Mac using VMware Fusion?

I just bought a Universal PLS 4.60 60 watt that came with a Mac Pro desktop.I'm new to laser engraving and Mac so I've got a couple of learning curves ahead of me.

The problem I'm having is that when the laser is connected to the mac it can raster engrave but not vector cut.When I do a latency test in control panel it comes up with 1)avg. usb=65 msec 2)max.usb=94 msec.When the laser is connected to my laptop running Vista 64bit everything is fine.1)avg.usb=10 2)max.usb=16.

I've updated the original driver on the Mac to 5.27.48.12 and installed the same driver on my laptop.I didn't make note of original driver but was something like 2.15...

The laser didn't have the original Universal usb cable so as per Universals instructions I bought a 6' high quality usb 2.0 cable and I'm using the same cable on both computers so the cable isn't the issue.Someone told me it could be a software related issue.I am currently waiting for snow leopard to show up in case a reformat is required(system didn't come with any discs or manuals either).Maybe I need to get an external usb hub???

If anybody is running a Universal laser on a Mac that could have any useful information to input then it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks to any of you laser gurus in advance.

Stuart

Dee Gallo
11-28-2009, 7:26 PM
Stuart,

I have an Epilog, but run it from my Mac. I recommend you go with ethernet and ditch the USB. USB caused several problems for me which completely disappeared when I changed to ethernet. It's recommended by all of the people who really know what they are talking about, so don't just go by me, I'm tech-challenged. I just want stuff to work.

cheers, dee

Scott Shepherd
11-28-2009, 7:51 PM
Dee, the ULS doesn't work like that. It needs the USB because the computer is running the laser. It works different than the Epilog where you can print it and it's "on" the laser after that. The ULS stays connected because there are things you can do while it's running from the computer.

Doug Griffith
11-28-2009, 8:06 PM
Going with Bootcamp should solve the latency issues.

Dan Hintz
11-28-2009, 9:22 PM
I just bought a Universal PLS 4.60 60 watt that came with a Mac Pro desktop. I'm new to laser engraving and Mac...
If you're new to the Mac, as well, I would consider just hooking up a PC. You're going to have a (fun) learning curve with the laser itself, so adding in potential control computer setup issues is one more potential headache that doesn't need to be there. You may never have issues with the Mac, but is now the time to add in extra levels of complication? Your choice...

Doug Griffith
11-28-2009, 10:52 PM
If you're new to the Mac, as well, I would consider just hooking up a PC. You're going to have a (fun) learning curve with the laser itself, so adding in potential control computer setup issues is one more potential headache that doesn't need to be there. You may never have issues with the Mac, but is now the time to add in extra levels of complication? Your choice...

Another reason to go with Bootcamp. Windows will then run on the Apple hardware natively. Hold down the option key at boot, select Windows, and there you go, it's a Windows PC.

Install it now before you start using the Mac. Reformat and give Bootcamp it's own partition.