PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Christmas Ornaments

Curt Fuller
11-28-2009, 1:38 PM
I should say "somewhat segmented", nothing fancy like a real segmenter would do. These are all about 1.75-2 inches diameter, 6-7" long. The first one is Apricot with some strips of Padauk, Apricot finial and icicle. Next is Mahogany with Wenge strips, mahogany finial and icicle. Then the last two are Zebrawood with walnut strips, finial and icicle.

Thom Sturgill
11-28-2009, 1:45 PM
V-e-r-y Nice! I'd be hard pressed to say which I liked best, probably #2 then #4, but they are all good.

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2009, 1:53 PM
Curt - very nice work on all of them! Great combinations of grain and color! You are really getting detailed on the finials! Very nice work!

Robert McGowen
11-28-2009, 2:15 PM
I would have to say that you are under-estimating your segmented talents! Really nice job.

Rick Hutcheson
11-28-2009, 3:18 PM
Very nice.

charlie knighton
11-28-2009, 4:15 PM
very nice...

Mike Golka
11-28-2009, 4:32 PM
I like em all! well done.

Barry Stratton
11-28-2009, 6:26 PM
Your ornamants FLAT OUT ROCK!!!!:D

Richard Madison
11-28-2009, 7:33 PM
Ditto what Robert said. They look like "real segmenting" to me too.

David E Keller
11-28-2009, 8:35 PM
Very cool. I like the subtle segmenting. Those would look good on my tree except they would make the ones I've made look bad

John Keeton
11-28-2009, 9:00 PM
These are really, really nice. The last two are my picks! So, are these hollow? I keep asking that question of you guys that do these. I know they need to be lightweight, but I think I would try one of these if I didn't have to hollow it.

Of course, I guess one could hang bricks on a tree if the branches were big enough!:rolleyes:

Robert McGowen
11-28-2009, 9:16 PM
John,

I usually hollow the ornaments down to 1/32" thick and then after making the finial, I hollow it also, down to the very tip, usually around 1/64" thick. This keeps the weight down to about 4 grams total for the ornament. That way, they swing around in the breeze when the heater comes on. :D:eek::rolleyes::confused:;):(:D:)

Okay, okay, I actually make them with my pen mandrel using a 1/4" hole in the middle and just spin them to size. Make the finial so that it goes into the 1/4" hole and you are good to go. Start out with a solid wood body until you get it down and then try the segmented body. Good luck! YMMV

Bill Bolen
11-28-2009, 9:49 PM
Dang Curt, those are beau T ful ...Bill..

John Keeton
11-28-2009, 11:05 PM
John,

I usually hollow the ornaments down to 1/32" thick and then after making the finial, I hollow it also, down to the very tip, usually around 1/64" thick. This keeps the weight down to about 4 grams total for the ornament. That way, they swing around in the breeze when the heater comes on. :D:eek::rolleyes::confused:;):(:D:)Robert, you had me hooked until I got to the hollow finial!!!!:D:D Then, I knew the ornament wasn't the only thing blowing in the wind!

I may well try one of these! Thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Beautiful ornaments Curt. Really like the different woods.

Curt Fuller
11-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the encouragement.

John, they are hollowed but not anything precise, just with an allen wrench hollower for lightening them up. Here is a tutorial I did a while back on making them. It's how I do it. I'm sure there are a lot of other, probably better, ways to do it. But this will get you started.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98860&highlight=ornament+tutorial

Mark Cothren
11-29-2009, 1:02 AM
Great work, Curt. Nobody (I know of) does 'em any better!

John Keeton
11-29-2009, 6:38 AM
Thanks for the link to the tutorial, Curt! Great instructions, and though it will be after Christmas, I think I will try one of these. Of course, that gives me a full year to get it done right!:D