PDA

View Full Version : Bargaining experience with Used Machinery Dealers?

Dan Duperron
11-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Fellows,

Never having purchased used machinery from a dealer before, (only individuals) what are the group's thoughts on bargaining? I don't want to leave money on the table, but I'm not out to cheat anyone either, and this shop spends some time fixing and reconditioning their used stuff as necessary before sale and offer a 30-day warranty, and all that is worth something.

I'm never shy about bargaining, I figure if you don't ask you won't get, and if you do - you never know. That said I don't know what a good starting offer would be after the initial "can you do any better on that?" part of the conversation. Am I better off shooting for a free blade/accessory/credit toward next purchase/discount off another tool purchased at the same time, etc. etc. etc.?

What techniques have worked for you in the past with dealers of used gear? C'mon let's hear you brag a little about your successes so others may learn!

In case you are curious, the dealer is called "Skarie Machinery Inc." in Baltimore. Founder's name was Skarie, but is that a great name or what?

Michael Schwartz
11-28-2009, 2:58 PM
never hurts to ask if they are willing to negotiate a price, some business will, some won't. I doubt it will hurt anything if you simply ask can we work on the price a bit.

Make sure your talking to somebody who has the leeway to work on a price such as the manager or owner. Since the equipment is used, depending on there initial cost and what they put in it for repairs, there may be more margin, than what a dealer might have or a new piece of equipment.

If the tool is in good working condition, decent shape cosmetically, and has been I would expect to pay as much as 60 or more the cost of a new machine. Tools are tools, and if they are well made, do there job well, they retain value.

Frank Drew
11-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Skarie is a reliable outfit as far as I know; their Baltimore competitor, who I dealt with years ago, State Saw, has gone out of business, as have many others.

If you ever happen to ask for bids from dealers on machinery you're selling, you'll never again have any hesitation about bargaining as much as possible (they'll totally lowball you, so, what the heck, turnaround is fair play.)

Joe Jensen
11-30-2009, 12:52 AM
I always make an offer that is below the asking price. If they say no, you can still pay the list price. I've only ever encountered one seller, (private seller), who was insulted by my offer of a modest price reduction. Seller immediately became aggitated and refused to sell to me at any price. Oh well.

I recently bought a MAX spindle sander from a used machinery dealer. Really nice machine, exactly what I wanted with all spindles, all throat plates, and even the original 1970s manual and sales reciept. Asking price was $695 and I offered $550. They accepted. I would have been happy at $695, but happier at $550.

In this market I think they would be willing to deal.

Also, Exfactory, a large online broker for machines has very high prices, but they negociate and move a lot on price.