PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox post question/problem

Jeff Dorlan
11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Hello, all. I am new to the site. I have read the forums a lot over the past few years, but didn't need to add anything. I recently joined as I need opinions. I have received many differing opinons on my most recent project.

I am building a new mailbox post. It MUST be a special post, as my mailbox is a Fort Knox mailbox. It weighs 100lbs, and is made out of 1/4" welded steel! As such, I was considering making a raised-panel post utilizing either 6"x6" or 8"x8" PT stock. Recently, however, a contractor in my town built a porch for someone. He wrapped 4"x4" PT posts...they warped into pretzels. He is now rebuilding the whole porch. Additionally, I want to paint my post, and as we all know PT lumber usually comes dripping wet. It will be months before I can paint the damn thing.

I have thought about waiting a few months to see if the post actually warps after drying. I have thought about building a hollow post to slide over PT stock, but was concerned with stability and weight issues. I could just use the Fort knox steel post and call it a day, I know. But I really want that classy and unique raised panel look.

Your ideas and suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks for your input.

harry strasil
11-28-2009, 11:51 AM
FWIW, any non solid (covered) post outdoors is going to collect moisture and rot easily, additionally raised panels will be a haven for moisture in the rebates for the panels. Even heavily varnished with many coats of Marine Varnish it is going to weather and the narrow stiles and rails you will need to use are going to warp.

As an Alternative, why not get a White oak or Cedar Large Timber custom cut from a Sawmill and using a router, rout the raised panels in the 4 sides. and use a through Mortise and tenon with an external tapered Wedge to secure it to mount the mailbox on.

Additionally soak the end to be buried in Creosote for a couple of weeks before planting it.

Yearly maintenance coats of Marine Varnish will keep it looking nice.

Roger Myers
11-28-2009, 11:59 AM
My suggestion would be to sink one or two 4x4 p/t posts...
Using Azec or similar composite material, create a box that slides over the posts..can be a raised panel style if you like. Do not fasten this box directly to the posts, but rather use a bracket from the post to the constructed box... so that any movement of the post(s) does not destroy the box..provides adjustability for you as well. The mailbox itself is supported by the p/t posts...
The Azec comes white and if that is what you want does not require painting, but if you want other colors, it accepts paint well. I redid all the raised panel corner boards on my house with Azec due to it's ability to weather, because as Harry said, raised panels outside collect moisture and are an invitation to rot. With the Azec, no problem. The Azec comes in 4/4, 5/5. and sheet goods... and machines with router with no problem.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Using Azec or similar composite material, create a box that slides over the posts

I agree. I had pine-wrapped P/T posts on my deck, and moisture wicked up into the pine from the bottom, and then started to rot from the bottom - they were about 7 years old. The P/T posts were fine. I made similar looking sleeves out of Kleer (a competitor to, but pretty much the same, as Azek trim). Working with PVC was interesting - the 'dust' stuck to everything, and there's a nice layer of white in my DC. It works really easily though, and I recommend gluing it with a PVC cement (and using some 15ga nails to 'hold' it while the cement sets).

It is not 'structural', so you could not use it to hold up the mailbox. but this approach lets you use whatever you want for structural support - 4x4 posts, pipe, or even a piece of steel (I-beam?) if you wanted to go that far...

Dell Littlefield
11-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Just a thought about substantial mailboxes. Some localities forbid putting up certain types of mailboxes because of the potential of increased damage in collisions. I know of one subdivision in Atlanta that forbade brick mailboxes after the homeowners association was sued in a fatal accident. Might want to consider that when deciding the innards.

Alan Marchbanks
11-28-2009, 2:28 PM
Jeff,
I'd use a length of 6" well casing with a flange welded on top to fasten mail box and set it in concrete. That would be in keeping with your Fort Knox theme.
Alan

Cody Colston
11-28-2009, 3:21 PM
The NYW may be over but it's not forgotten!

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0110

One of Norm's projects was a decorative mailbox post...basically a PT post with a sleeve over it. Looks nice.