PDA

View Full Version : Made my first funnel

Rob Cunningham
11-28-2009, 9:19 AM
I was working on a small NE bowl the other night and having trouble getting a smooth cut on the inside. Without thinking, I took a few more cuts. When I flipped around to finish the bottom, the tenon popped off and there was a gaping hole looking at me. I might try to save it by gluing a contrasting wood on the bottom and turn some kind base.

Bill Bulloch
11-28-2009, 9:30 AM
Been there, done that. If you have some more of that same wood left, true up the bottom of you bowl and a extra piece and glue them together. Then,whdn you turn it to shape and it will not be noticeable; if it is put a "V" cut or some other enhancement to it.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Same here. Been there done that. Don't ya just hate those dreaded last couple of cuts.:mad: I have taken a few and glued a contrasting wood on then finished turning. I have one hanging on the wall without the bottom as a reminder to measure often and I look at it every time I think just one more cut.:D

charlie knighton
11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
we all will do it, nice looking bowl otherwise

Kyle Iwamoto
11-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Only one? I keep my first one on my desk at work, so I have to look at it every day. Try to remind me to never do it again. Doesn't work, I still make funnels. Actually I call mine a diet bowl. If you use it to eat soup, GUARANTEED to lose weight.....

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Rob,

I glad to see you got that first funnel and right to passage out of the way.:rolleyes:

We have all done it.

Ron Lynch
11-28-2009, 10:57 AM
If that's only your first funnel, you aren't turning enough. Get busy

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2009, 12:23 PM
To all of us guys with a little more turning experience - this is called a design opportunity! You can get as creative as you want cause at this point the bowl can't get any worse!

Some options would be: glue on a section of wood that is the same as what you were turning; glue on a contrasting color of wood or turn a pedestal! No matter what you do - have fun with it!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Jim Kountz
11-28-2009, 1:04 PM
Yep I got a shop full of those things!! I think you could save that one though like others have said already.

Bill Bolen
11-28-2009, 1:06 PM
Yes it is a heart breaker when it happens but take heart. You have something to play around with for a save. Contrasting plug in the bottom, same wood and carve some feet on the repair blank...the list goes on forever....Bill...

Richard Madison
11-28-2009, 7:45 PM
Nice, smooth round hole!