PDA

View Full Version : Jet 12" J/P w/ Helical or Grizzly G0634 12" J/P with Helical Head

Rob Wright
11-28-2009, 1:27 AM
So with the woodcraft 15% off discount - these two beasts are about the same price without the shipping tax, etc. What one would you guys go with? I know that Grizzly is more HP, but I like the euro-guard on the Jet a little better. Grizzly has slightly longer tables, 675lbs vs 600 lbs on the jet....

So what would ya get if the little difference in the cost meant nothing?

Thanks - Rob

Rod Sheridan
11-28-2009, 8:30 AM
Owning a Hammer A3-31, I'd say go for the one with the Euro guard, much nicer.

I wouldn't worry about the HP, both have enough.

Regards, Rod.

Curt Harms
11-28-2009, 9:26 AM
3 h.p. is plenty. I have the Jet JJP-12 non-helical. The planing function will only remove so much thickness; try to set the cut too deep and it won't feed. At the time I bought, you had to remove the Grizzly's fence to switch modes. The Jet fence didn't need to be removed. That was the primary reason for my selecting Jet over Grizzly. After I got my machine I heard that removing the Grizzly fence is easy and a matter of seconds. Both machines have manuals available for download. Jet has a video available here: http://www.jettools.com/products/jointer_planer/default.html.
There was a gentleman here that had a real trial with getting a Grizzly J/P delivered in one piece. I believe he finally wound up with a Hammer or other Euro machine. My Jet came through in great shape. That is probably due to the shipper though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rob Wright
11-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear that the 3hp is enough - makes powering it even easier in my current setup. I have a bunch of Grizzly green in my shop right now ... i may be going with the jet - no time to speak with the boss before that deal runs out!

Ben West
11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
I went through this decision-making process about a year ago. I looked at the Grizz, Jet, MM, and Hammer machines. All are top-notch machines, but I eventually went with the Grizzly because of the combination of features, build quality, and price. I really liked the carbide helical head (which wasn't available on any other combo machine at the time).

Now, a year after the purchase, I have no regrets. The machine has done everything I've asked of it, and has remained in tune after my initial adjustments. I did have to shim the infeed table to bring it in parallel with the outfeed table, but that was a simple process. If I had to buy again, I would buy the Grizz without hesitation.

The porkchop versus european guard is a matter of personal preference. I've used both, and really have little preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages, and either can be used safely and effectively.

In the end, I don't think you'll go wrong with either machine. If you already have a shop full of Grizzly machines, there may be some benefit to going that way again.

Gary Venable
11-28-2009, 2:02 PM
I'm am in the same situation between the Jet and the Grizzly. I have had good luck with other Grizzly tools but the Jet has a 5 year warranty. The other downside for me is I have to pay shipping and tax on the Grizzly (MO resident) and I can get the Jet with free shipping and no tax.

Tough choices. Also any one who has one what have you done for mobile bases?

Mike Zilis
11-28-2009, 3:36 PM
I've got the Jet. I'm using one of Jet's mobile bases with it. Works fine although I wouldn't mind if the front wheels locked a little tighter. With all this weight I'd prefer to just keep it flat on the floor but I do need to adjust its position every now and then so the mobile base is necessary.