PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned miter saw- which one?

Kurt Hastings
11-28-2009, 1:17 AM
I am beginning to do some construction around our new house, In addition to baseboards and some trim work, I hope to get started on a small basement workshop after I create a basemant TV room.

My questions is this: I want to save some $$ by buying a reconditioned miter saw (your thoughts on reconditioned most welcome). I don't think that I will have the need for a slider, so I am looking either at the Dewalt 716 or the Bosch 4212L. The Dewalt is a bit less expensive and I have heard good things about it. The Bosch also has positives. The 4212L also comes with some accesories that Dewalt makes you buy separately.

Any advice for this new Sawmill Creek member, including other saw maker considerations will be most welcome.

Thanks!

Kurt Hastings

Dean Karavite
11-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm betting either would be fine, but as one who started his shop with a 12" compound miter saw, there is hardly a day that goes by where I wish I didn't have a sliding model. Not just for wider cuts, but for scoring a cut before digging in. I know it hurts the wallet at first, but it might be worth it in the long run.

By the way I have a Hitachi with a laser and digital read out and it has always cut well and has never failed in being precise when I need it to be. Makita, even a slider, might be one to check out as reconditioned. Also, more than likely whatever you get will have a mediocre blade. That is an additional cost to consider.

Good luck with your TV room and shop!

glenn bradley
11-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I have recon tools bought from CPO and no problems; full warranty. I love my DeWalt non-slider but longed for a slider. I longed for one long enough to realize I didn't need it. My non-slider has been standing behind my jointer for almost 2 years without use. Turned out I make more furniture than cut molding and prefer the other methods to make my parts.

Don't get me wrong; next time I need one, I'll have it and I am glad I do. I'm just glad I didn't spend the cost of a good drill press on a really nice one just to find out that I wouldn't be using it much. YMMV, considerably.

Josh Reet
11-28-2009, 1:01 PM
I wouldn't buy a non sliding miter saw either.

In a recon slider, the dewalt 10in is a nice saw. I use mine all the time. FWIW, Grizzly has had some brand new dewalt 10in non sliders for like $125. Now, I would be even less likely to buy a 10in non-slider than a 12in non-slider. But for someone with use requirements that didn't go beyond what a 10in non slider can do, that's a good price on a good saw.

Cliff Holmes
11-28-2009, 1:54 PM
I have the Bosch as well as a Makita 10". I prefer the Makita hands-down. The cuts are cleaner and more accurate, which may come from the smaller blade being easier to control. It's also not nearly as cumbersome moving it around, the Bosch is very nearly a two-person job to carry.

The Makita is often available as a reconditioned model on Amazon. My experience with recon equipment is that I would never know it wasn't brand-new.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-28-2009, 8:40 PM
Another vote for the slider....either the Makita or the Hitachi would be my choice.....especially the new Makita.

I'd stay away from 12" saws unless you have to have the vertical capacity, the 10" saws are much more accurate.

Doug Carpenter
11-29-2009, 8:37 AM
I have a Hitachi 10'' slider. I love the saw but I hate the scale. The marks are hard to read and there are pitch marks on the scale that I assume is metric. That being said I do like the saw. I had an 8" slider before that I used for many years untill one day it sent a smoke signal to it's fellow tribe members that I think said "I'm done".

I like the sliders because they have a large cutting capacity with out a huge blade. Those 12" miter saws scare me.

they are pricey though. If you cant do it now you can always trade up later. It may cost you a little to do that but somtimes the budget speaks clearly.

good luck, Doug

Cliff Holmes
11-29-2009, 9:04 AM
one day it sent a smoke signal to it's fellow tribe members that I think said "I'm done"

I like that :D

The quote, that is. Not the dying saw.

Bob Slater
11-29-2009, 9:55 AM
I have always had great service out of refurbs. I'm typing on one now. I also love my Makita slider.

Jeff Springer
11-29-2009, 2:29 PM
I had a 10" Delta miter saw fixed unit for years and it performed well. I recently upgraded to the Milwaukee 12 sliding unit and can't believe the difference. I would never go back to the fixed unit. I use it all the time to break down lumber prior to building furniture. The capacity of the slider is well worth the money. As for refurb - I think that you won't go wrong with a refurb as long as you test it right away and can return it if there is a problem.

Kurt Hastings
12-09-2009, 8:21 PM
A belated thanks for the advice. Final question I have about compound miter saws is single vs dual bevel?

Kelly C. Hanna
12-09-2009, 8:44 PM
Dual bevel...much easier to deal with.

Matthew Chamberlin
12-09-2009, 10:32 PM
I have the Bosh 10" slider at home and the Dewalt at work. While i don't think anyone would complain about either one, i prefer the Bosh. I just think the fit and finish are a little better, and it's a little easier to use.