PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee 18v vs. Bosch vs. ???

Mike Bosdet
11-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I'd like to support a US-based company, gotta keep some industry here, so I'd like to purchase a Milwaukee M18 Lithium drill and driver kit (2691-22). I saw a competitive Bosch product that I admit looked pretty good tonight at Lowe's and is also a good deal.

All things being equal, I'd like to LIKE the Milwaukee, but it DOES have to do the job. I'm not a contractor, just a weekend warrior but I want value for my $$$. Does anyone have any experience with the M18 line (vs. the Bosch Litheon vs. Makita) that would indicate it's not in the same league or has serious problems? I have other Bosch products (12V) and they're very good, just would like to support the home team!

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Steve Leverich
11-28-2009, 8:57 AM
There is no "home team" any more - most, if not all, Milwaukee stuff says "made in china", as do some Bosch, and a couple of my DeWalt units are made in Mexico.

That said, I have the Milwaukee M18 compact kit with drill/driver and impact, and LOVE it - I then bought the full-size version (bigger batteries too, but compatible) - I also have two of the DeWalt 920 series, and although they're herky (in both weight and duty) their clutches are abysmal. On the lightest setting I think they'd strip out a 1/4" lag screw (not quite, but not a good choice for a wood-working driver)

The Milwaukee clutch (both the compact and full size) is so adjustable it feels like the lightest setting could almost drive a #4 screw in balsa wood without stripping it out, and each step is very gradual all the way to lock-up.

When I bought the full-size Milwaukee M18 drill, they had a "free impact driver" deal going so I now have two of those - I find myself using them more often than I'd thought.

I don't have a lot of miles on any of these yet, but so far no problems with either... Steve

Just checked out your #, and it's avail. at Amazon now for what I paid at the Borg last year - that kit usually goes for $100 more, so I'd go for it. Even the compact batteries included in that kit seem to last pretty good, if you want more power go for the full-size batteries. The charger works with either.

WARNING - don't assume the "V-18" batteries are the same as the "18V" batteries - they are NOT. I found this out by ordering the wrong ones from "damlow prices" online and finding out that the mating plugs are BACKWARD between the two types and STILL won't fit each other. Good news - Damlow (the owner's name, BTW) gave me full credit including shipping toward the RIGHT (18V) batteries so I bought the full-size drill/free impact kit at the same time... Steve

Curt Harms
11-28-2009, 9:01 AM
I'd like to support a US-based company, gotta keep some industry here, so I'd like to purchase a Milwaukee M18 Lithium drill and driver kit (2691-22). I saw a competitive Bosch product that I admit looked pretty good tonight at Lowe's and is also a good deal.

All things being equal, I'd like to LIKE the Milwaukee, but it DOES have to do the job. I'm not a contractor, just a weekend warrior but I want value for my $$$. Does anyone have any experience with the M18 line (vs. the Bosch Litheon vs. Makita) that would indicate it's not in the same league or has serious problems? I have other Bosch products (12V) and they're very good, just would like to support the home team!

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Hi Mike

You DO realize that Milwaukee hasn't been a U.S. owned company for a while? From Wikipedia:

"Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation was sold to Techtronic Industries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techtronic_Industries), a Hong Kong-based company, in 2005." Prior to that they were owned by I believe a Scandinavian company. Bosch manufactures in the U.S. and creates a lot of jobs here. Ya need a scorecard:). I think the Milwaukee drill turns a little faster but has a little less torque than the Bosch 18v. I bought the Bosch set recently but it was mostly an impulse purchase. I haven't found enough difference to return the Bosch set. What color do ya like?

ian maybury
11-28-2009, 9:42 AM
Bosch are often a very good choice this side of the Atlantic too Mike - a very nice mix of good quality and price.

There's been some very good deals around over here by our standards (US power tool prices tend to be more competitive) for drill drivers using the older NiCad or NiMH batteries.

I wanted an 18V model and ended going for the Bosch GSR18V3 18V model complete with 3 X 2A NiCad batteries at less than half the price of the latest lithium ion models.

It's a (very) little bigger and heavier, and the latest batteries probably have more grunt and a faster charge (but they gave me an extra one anyway) - but it matters little in the case of the few screws here and there and the odd slightly larger screwing jobs that i do.

Just a thought, as an approach it may may not suit everybody - but it saved me the close to the price of a Veritas shoulder plane i wanted, and at no loss in the quality of the tool...

ian

Craig Coney
11-28-2009, 5:26 PM
I have used Bosch cordless drills for the last 15 years. I have only had to replace one worn out switch. Battery life is usually in excess of 4 years in my experience. I am not sure what you will be doing, but for most woodworking their 12 volt line (not liteon) drill and impact drivers will work fine. 18 volt is heaiver and usually not needed unless you are doing alot of installation/construction.

Mike Bosdet
11-28-2009, 5:43 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Dave Lewis
12-08-2009, 9:26 PM
I have the Makita set with drill-driver, impact driver, small circular saw, light and recip saw. It works great for projects around the house. The bag is large enuff for all tools.

Bob Carreiro
12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Since I've been serious about tools, I've owned Makita, Porter Cable, and now the Bosch drill you speak of (I bought it from Lowes too).
The Porter Cable was a killer, never die tool (I don't baby my stuff). The Bosch is every bit as strong, but lighter and more compact (the small spot light has been handy more than once), although the weight difference may be attributed to the Lithium batteries. Only time will proove its stamina, since I've only recharged the batteries 9 or 10 times, but if ya buy it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Bob

Cliff Holmes
12-09-2009, 12:24 AM
I just went through the same process, trying to figure out what new drill to get. Unable to make up my mind and with so many conflicting opinions and reviews out there, I went out yesterday and bought six different drills and spent a day testing them. When I was done, I had all these notes and test data, so I wrote them up this evening in my own little review. I didn't look at the exact Milwaukee drill you're talking about, but maybe it'll help.
(http://www.thewoodnerd.com/reviews/li-drills.html)

Rick Fisher
12-09-2009, 3:20 AM
The best cordless IMO are the Makita.. with the new Bosch a close second..

I have heard of Milwaukee having battery troubles..

If I where buying a new cordless, it would be a Makita LXT.. no question..

I have a set of Bosch 10.8 amp mini Drivers.. since buying them, they have become my " go to drills".. No desire to buy another large sized drill for furniture making..

Mike Rees
12-09-2009, 6:25 AM
I just went through the same process, trying to figure out what new drill to get. Unable to make up my mind and with so many conflicting opinions and reviews out there, I went out yesterday and bought six different drills and spent a day testing them. When I was done, I had all these notes and test data, so I wrote them up this evening in my own little review. I didn't look at the exact Milwaukee drill you're talking about, but maybe it'll help.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/reviews/li-drills.html

Excellent write up - I'm happy you took the time to share this with us. I went through what you did, but didn't take the notes and didn't really look at Milwaukee or Ridgid. I ended up w/ the DeWalt, though the bigger brother of the DCD760. I actually go the DCD960 (I have some contruction projects to do as well). The weight is the same as the XRP 12V variety. Really nice tool. Plus by going 18V XRP, it opened up the world of cordless circular saws, lights, etc.

You did a GREAT job on the stuff you could see, touch, and feel. There is a DeWalt video that touches on some of the stuff inside their drills:

http://www.dewalt.com/dwassets/english/flash/realstories/index.htm

Select Compact --- it will break down this segment really well.

Ed Labadie
12-09-2009, 9:05 AM
Two friends have the m18 stuff, all about 1 year old.
Both have had the driver/drill (compact model) fail, it appears the cooling fan becomes loose (falls off?) the motor shaft.....little motors need air, doesn't take long for the magic smoke to leak out.
One has had the charger fail and recently one battery has quit taking a charge also.

I've got the older v18 stuff, IMO, it is far superior to the current "price buster" m18 line of tools. Especially the Sawzall, the Hatchet model is an great tool, worthy of the Milwaukee name.
The m12 tools I've got have been good, very comparable to the 12v Bosch.

Please don't think I'm a Milwaukee hater, I've used their tools since I was a kid. You could never go wrong with a tool purchased from them.
Sadly TTI is taking them down the wrong road......lower quality and pricing for the homeowner on much of the product line.

As far as an alternative brand to compare to the Milwaukee tools of the past, I'm at a loss there, guess I'll fall off that bridge when I come to it.

Ed

Darrell Bade
12-09-2009, 9:12 AM
I have been using the Milwaukee since mid summer and really like it. I hung 65 sheets of drywall and used it for the screwgun with a dimple bit. It is made in china. I really like the lights to tell you how charged the battery is. It might not be accurate to tell you exactly when it will die, it gives you a good idea. Good enough to tell you not to walk a 100 yards from the house to do a job when the battery is going to die halfway through. Since these drills run pretty good right up until the battery needs charged you do not see the gradual slowing down like a Nicad to tell you to change the battery.

I bought the Bosch a few weeks ago because I found a deal on it and need a second drill. I ended up taking it back. It just did not feel as good in my hand as the Milwaukee and there was a few things I did not like as well. What the the one report said about having to reach to get to the reversing button was one thing along with how hard the speed switch was to use. Cannot say it is not a good drill, because I have had good luck with Bosch tools. Another underlying factor in my return was that my old PC needs the batteries rebuilt and a new chuck. After I bought the Bosch I fixed the chuck so now a battery rebuild is going to be quit a bit less than a new drill since I do not need a chuck now.

Gary Gleave
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I have the Makita LXT, and the only thing I like about it is the light. I wish I had returned it, but it was a Christmas present from last year. I guess I'll regift it to my wife for house duty.
I also have Bosch, Fein, and Hilti cordless drills. The Hilti is a 15a and will out do the Makita 18a every time. It is so smooth running, well built, and seems indestructible.
I understand Hilti is bring out a new 18 this month. They are pricey, but if you register with Hilti they will give you a trade-in credit for any old tool, broken or not.
The Fein is real nice as well, but I don't see them around any more.
I use my drills an lot, and I personally would not buy anything but lithium ion.

Michael Drew
12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I just bought one of the Milwaukee compact 18V drivers. I bought it because I wanted a smaller drill for tight areas. I spent some time fondling all the different drills at Home Depot and found it to be the most comfortable to me. It works OK, and I don’t have any real complaints other than the light doesn’t help much because it doesn’t point to the end of the driver. Well anyway, it was about a week after I bought the drill when one of my woodworking magazines came out and they had a review of the compact cordless drills. I don’t recall which magazine it is (maybe Wood?), but the Milwaukee did not score very well. It had the worst, or close to the worst battery life. If I recall correctly, the Makita scored the best out of all the drills. I have the full sized Makita 18V and bought it because it fits my hands better than the others, but the compact just didn’t feel all that comfortable to me.

But when it comes down to it, if the drill is uncomfortable to you, you’ll end up hating it and it doesn’t really matter if it outperforms the rest of the bunch or not. Spend several hours with a drill hanging sheet rock or doing some other “screw intensive” project and you’ll be glad you bought the drill that is the most comfortable in your hand, even at the sacrifice of performance and battery life.