PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Lathe and Turning Set

James White
11-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Would the Harbor Freight 34706 Lathe be an upgrade from a Ridgid Lathe WL1200?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706
Have you seen it on sale in recent time for less than the current $229 price. I have a 20% coupon to add to that.

Also has anyone seen a lower price than $69 for this turning set?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35444
It has a bit thicker HSS and a tad wider on some of the tools than the 47006 set. Otherwise they are nearly identical. Currently $39 at the B&M store.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47066

James

Curt Fuller
11-28-2009, 1:06 AM
I spent my first couple years turning with the WL1200. It has it's limitations but I don't think you be gaining much if anything with the HF lathe. The only real advantage I think it 'might' have would be the cast iron ways instead of the tube bed on the WL1200. The rotating headstock is just a source of frustration because the lathe isn't really heavy duty enough to turn anything over the 12" swing and I think it would cause more problems with the rotating headstock lining up with the tailstock than it would solve. The variable speed is a reeves drive. A good reeves drive is a thing of beauty, but a cheap one is just another source of frustration. The WL1200, with it's step pulleys is a bit of a pain to change speeds but it's a good solid drive system.

I should add that I've never turned with the HF lathe. I've looked at it in the store and even considered it when I wanted to move up from my WL1200. So I'm not speaking from experience, just offering my opinion.

Dan Forman
11-28-2009, 4:51 AM
If you check your links, two are for the lathe in question, and only one is for a set of tools.

I think the darker handled set of tools go on sale now and then for about $50, that's what I paid a couple of years ago. It's not a bad set to get started with, and though I have upgraded the spindle gouges, I still use some of the others, and have modified a few for special purposes.

Can't help on the lathe question.

Dan

Kyle Iwamoto
11-28-2009, 5:02 AM
I have the cheaper set, and still use most of them. I think its an oustanding value for the money. I bought the set mainly to get just the roughing gouge. Buy a Thompson bowl gouge and you're all set.

Can't help on the lathe either. My "big" lathe is a Shopsmith, with a Reeves. It works, but the relatively high lowest speed is problematic.
Turning anything bigger than 8 inches is exciting. Still runs smooth after a few decades. If the blank is well balanced, it's not that exciting:eek:. NOT!

John Keeton
11-28-2009, 8:31 AM
I bought the 34706 about 2-3 months ago for $229, less the 20%. My needs/wants at this point are to do spindle work only - no bowls or HF.

I also purchased the lighter colored handle Windsor tool set for $39 on sale as I recall.

There are many threads on SMC regarding the 34706, and I have read all of them. Most are reasonably favorable, and I can say that I have been very pleased with the lathe, and it met my expectations. It is not a top end lathe, by any means. It is reasonably quiet, but not nearly as quite as a PM, or Jet/Delta mini. The lowest speed is fine for what I do, but not low enough for much bowl work as I understand it. The quality is fair, but then at $189 one doesn't expect superior quality. It is true enough for spindle work, but probably not for intricate work. I want to try to do some small spindle turnings on it at some point, and that will be a good test for it.

On the advice of other threads, I purchased a replacement belt from an auto parts store, as apparently the factory belt is junk and fails quickly. So far, it is holding up OK.

The reeves drive changes speed smoothly, and without issue.

I am "casually" looking for an older and heavier lathe, but if I don't find one, I am quite sure the 34706 will serve my needs for many years.

On the tools, I really could not tell a difference in the quality of the dark handled tools (more expensive) and the light handled ones?!? Perhaps someone who has both could comment.

For the project I am working on, I want to turn some drawer knobs, and purchased the Benjamin Best HSS mini set from PSI, but have not used them yet. The BB tools and the HF tools look identical except for some markings/brand.

James White
11-28-2009, 9:59 AM
These are some great responses so far. I have fixed the misdirecting link for the tool set.

I am new to turning and have the Ridgid lathe that I am sure I can sell on CL for $1000. Ok $200. That will get me the HF one if it is worth the trouble. I guess the only advantages are easier speed selection. More consistent tail stock alignment and the ability to swing something outboard.

How about there bigger heavier lathe 98676? I don't know if it ever goes on sale. It is currently $499. I haven't been able to find any feedback on it. One thing i noticed is that the min speed is 70 rpm higher on an already fast low end speed. I wonder if that can be modified? Perhaps a DC motor and speed controller off a scraped tread mill.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98676

John,

Would you care to measure a few of the tools? I will do the same. This way others trying to decide will be better informed. I just quickly compared them in the store and found the dark handled ones to have thicker steel and similar widths.

John Keeton
11-28-2009, 10:06 AM
James, I assume you are talking about the thickness on the HSS tools? I will try to measure that today and post.

From all my SMC research prior to purchasing the 34706, it seemed the overwhelming consensus was that the 34706 was the only lathe from HF worth purchasing. I relied on that in making my decision, but I do not have any personal knowledge of the other lathe.

David Walser
11-28-2009, 10:30 AM
On the tools, I really could not tell a difference in the quality of the dark handled tools (more expensive) and the light handled ones?!? Perhaps someone who has both could comment.

The primary difference between the "light" and "dark" handled tool sets from Harbor Freight is the dark handled set has some tools that are slightly larger. For example, IIRC, the large skew in the dark set is 1 1/8" wide while the other set's large skew is 1". Some of the other tools, though not all, showed similar size differences.

However, last time I checked, the measurements in the online descriptions were the same for both sets. With Harbor Freight, you never know if that's because they made a change in the tools or because an error was made in the descriptions.

John Keeton
11-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks, David. Good info on the sizes. The thickness of the flat tools (scraper, skew, etc.) in the cheaper set ranges from .1910 - .2035.

James White
11-28-2009, 11:17 AM
James, I assume you are talking about the thickness on the HSS tools? I will try to measure that today and post.

John,
Yes, that is what I meant. Here are my results.

Handles are 10" in length and the length of the HSS varies from 6-3/4"-7". The thickness of the HSS varies from .236"- .256" and .400" diameter for the small (bowl?) gouge.

Widths:
Gouges 3
1", .768" (3/4"), and .400" round

Skews 2
1", 1/2"

Parting, spear point and round nose are all close to .610"

James