PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a lathe

Roy Hill
11-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I mostly lurk in the background however, I do need a little help with this one. I have a wood shop and do a lot of hobby and freebie work. I don't have a wood lathe. I am not looking to get into turning but, I would like to have a lathe. I found a lathe on craigslist and wondered if you guys know if it is worth the asking price.

This is the listing http://knoxville.craigslist.org/tls/1484014147.html

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Roy Hill

David E Keller
11-27-2009, 11:45 PM
No first hand knowledge of that lathe but a couple of thoughts...

1. Craftsman and lathe are not two words I say together very often. Doesn't mean it is or isn't great, but I don't think craftsman is known for it's lathes

2. Pretty tough to find a variable speed lathe for that price. That make it a little appealing.

3. Looks like it's in good shape.

4. It's probably a good enough lathe to get you good and hooked on turning

Roy Hill
11-27-2009, 11:51 PM
I believe the man said it was made by Emerson. I'm not familiar with that name in lathes. But then again I don't know a lot about wood lathes. :)

Jeff Nicol
11-27-2009, 11:53 PM
I also know nothing about the lathe but it looks like a pretty well built machine, and with the acessories included, not a bad price to get you turning. I will have to do a little more looking into that model lathe.

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
11-28-2009, 12:33 AM
The lathe that is comparable to that one is made by Palmgren, or should I say the new ones like it are made by Palmgren. A new one is $500 plus shipping or to buy one with the Craftsman name maybe more or less. But I did not see any real great feedback on it nor did I see any real bad feedback. But I think that one is at leat 5-10 years old so maybe no more than $400 maybe $350 is more like it.

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2009, 1:10 AM
Roy,

I am pretty sure Bernie Weishapl has or had one of those and had some bad experiences. I believe other Creekers had some problems too and Palgrem was replacing entire headstocks frequently.

If Bernie doesn't reply to this thread send him a PM and link to this thread. I'd value his opinion and experience.

Richard Madison
11-28-2009, 1:17 AM
Agree with Jeff; would offer 350-375 after inspection. You have probably seen some threads here on what to check for on a used lathe. Maybe others familiar with that model will respond here.

Greg Ketell
11-28-2009, 2:04 AM
If you want to buy one lathe and not get the upgraditus later, take advantage of the amazing deal on the PM3520b being offered by ToolNut. A lot more than what you are seeing in CL, both in cost and capabilities. But it is the "end lathe" for many of us turners.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-28-2009, 4:52 AM
IF I could afford that PM, I'd buy one. That's my dream lathe too.

I'm on board with the Craftsman and lathe should not be in the same sentence, although I have to admit that my first was a Craftsman. (not that model, that looks like a pretty good lathe) I turned the heck out of it, until the motor went. Got a Jet mini, and I was AMAZED at how crappy the Craftsman was. BUT, I did do a lot of pens on it. For 400 bucks, I'd look for a used mini. Or a NEW Rikon mini. I recently turned on one and was pretty satisfied. It did get VERY hot though. My Jet stays pretty cool. Get you started into the Vortex. You'll need tools too....

Harlan Coverdale
11-28-2009, 6:39 AM
The Craftsman/Palmgren lathe that has given some people problems is different from the one shown in the CL ad. The former has a Reeves drive and the latter has EVS. I had the Reeves drive version, but I have not seen the EVS version before. I did have some problems with the Reeves drive on mine sticking, but all in all it was a decent lathe to start with.

Roy Hill
11-28-2009, 7:25 AM
I sure appreciate all the response to my question about the lathe. I don't want to invest a lot of money in a lathe right now but, I don't want something that will potentially give me trouble. I think I will pass on the Craftsman and wait for a more quality machine. :)

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Roy I am not going to get into all the troubles I had with mine. All I will say is you are making a wise choice of waiting. There are to many good lathes out there to be had than to get one that will be a pain.

Jeff Brockett
11-28-2009, 3:46 PM
Roy, if you are looking for a good lathe I have a Jet 1442 that I will be selling next week. If you are interested in details send me a pm.

Jeff