PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail saw technique question

John Coloccia
11-27-2009, 10:23 PM
So now that I have really nice dovetail saws that cut well, I'm noticing something. If I "clean" the saw teeth with my fingers before making a cut, the saw cuts like butter. If I don't, the saw binds as though it doesn't have enough set. Now here's the thing: half the time, I can't even see the minuscule amount of dust I'm taking off the teeth and out of the gullets so I have a hard time believing that this could be a factor. At the same time, I KNOW there's a profound difference in cutting when I do this. I just pinch the teeth lightly starting at the back of the saw, and lightly run my fingers up to the front of the saw to clean the teeth, and whammo...effotless cuts.

Is it all in my head? Have I stumbled upon a long lost secret? Or maybe I'm the only dummy that didn't know this already? LOL.

Seriously, could that tiny amount of dust really be messing up my cuts like that?

Sean Hughto
11-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Uh, I don't think the unseen fairy dust is hampering your cuts. I often cut a whole end worth of tails without stopping and have never noticed the saw being affected on the later cuts. You might try some wax on your blade - conceivably your finger oils are behaving as wax would?

Jim Koepke
11-28-2009, 2:29 AM
To add to what Sean said, it may be the wood you are working with. My most used wood is pine. It is often full of sticky resin that clogs the teeth and slows the saw.

If you do not have much debris trapped in the teeth, then it might be a lubrication effect taking place.

jim

John Keeton
11-28-2009, 8:38 AM
I wipe my blade with each cut, too, but started doing that so I can clearly see my line and not drop a bunch of dust when I set the saw on the board. It became habitual, and I don't know that it affects the cut one way or the other.

John Coloccia
11-28-2009, 9:04 AM
I think you guys are on to something with the lubrication thing. I'll do some experimenting today (i.e. wiping with a paper towel instead). What struck me is how dramatic the difference was.

re: type of wood
Just poplar. Nothing sticky.

Larry Marshall
11-29-2009, 9:12 AM
I think you guys are on to something with the lubrication thing. I'll do some experimenting today (i.e. wiping with a paper towel instead). What struck me is how dramatic the difference was.

A quick wipe of a parafin block on the blade will generate a "dramatic difference."

Cheers --- Larry

Derek Cohen
11-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Waxing the blade of a saw is like waxing the sole of a plane. It runs so much smoother afterwards.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Joints/Dovetailing/Waxingtheblade.jpg

Some saws tend to bind very slightly owing to "minimal set". In my experience, some woods tend to springback more than others, even in a kerf 3/4" deep, and this may also cause binding.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Fisher
11-30-2009, 7:00 PM
Does the act of sawing or planing with a waxed tool leave wax on the wood? If so does this affect the wood? How do you deal with this if it does?

Rob

John Coloccia
11-30-2009, 7:52 PM
It was the lubricating effect, by the way. I would have never thought of that buy you guys nailed it. Thanks!

Pam Niedermayer
12-01-2009, 3:51 AM
If you use a saw appropriate for the thickness of the wood, that is the number of teeth per inch is such and such, the wood picked up by the gullets is automatically emptied as the saw moves through the cut.

Pam

John Coloccia
12-01-2009, 7:13 AM
So with just a light mist of Camelia oil, and quick wipe down with a rag, the Veritas saws cut with absolutely no effort whatsoever. I'm hardly even holding the thing. What a joy to use!