PDA

View Full Version : Tools to Fabricate Solid Surface Counters - Help and a little long

Joe Scarfo
10-03-2004, 8:35 PM
New Cabinet Maker and Solid Surface Counter Top Fabricator.

Last week I completed a solid surface counter top seminar for Avonite and I'm about to begin a new adventure. From the short time I've been visitng here, I've gleaned that a number of participants are professional cabinet makers and possibly fabricate countertops.

I'm trying to learn all I can from the inside of the industry and I'm hoping the pro's can share a little information with me.

A. What trade rags/magazines do you read/subscribe to? There is always useful information in them.

B. I need a few tools and could use some advise on how to get them as inexpensively as possible, even used if possible. I need an adhesive gun. Any leads where one can be had used? I need the type NOT used by Corian and Hi MACS. The type used by Avonite/Fountain Head would work. Also, I'm looking for a tool from Monument Tool Company called a "Parallign" system which is a vacuum powered clamp system. They offer them in both vacuum powered and venture created vacuum driven by a compressor.

Thanks in advance... hope everyone enjoyed the weekend.
Joe in Tampa...

Dave Loebach
10-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi Joe,

Good luck on your new venture. Maybe I can help you get started. I've got a solid surface glue gun I'd be willing to sell. It's the kind that takes a large tube of the colored resin and a separate tube of hardener. A mixing tube is atached to the gun so that the resin and hardener mix. It is a beast comapred to a caulk gun. I bought it when I build my kitchen and did the Fountainhead countertops myself. I think I paid about $125 for it, but I suggest you check the price becaase I could be wrong. It was used for one project and is like new. If your interested, send me an email. I can send pictures if you like.

Dave Loebach
dloebach@fuse.net

Michael Perata
10-04-2004, 3:24 AM
I know you have to forfeit your children if you answer this, but do either of you have a source for Avonite or Corian that will ship to an "unqualified" small shop - mine?

Joe Scarfo
10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
To bad you're in Calif, I could pbly help you out.

I suggest you contact an Avonite distributor near you. I took the class last week in Orlando. It took about 7 hours and only cost $100. Plus they gave me a $50 credit towards my first purchase.

I'm buying through a firm called Tech Products.

Tks
Joe

Ken Dolph
10-04-2004, 12:29 PM
I know you have to forfeit your children if you answer this, but do either of you have a source for Avonite or Corian that will ship to an "unqualified" small shop - mine?

Mike

You may want to visit the following website:

http://stonewood.safeshopper.com