PDA

View Full Version : Simple porch rocker plan

Betsy Yocum
10-03-2004, 8:23 PM
Hey folks - I'm looking to build a rocker for the porch. But this would be my first foray into that type of building, so I'm looking for a very simple plan to get me started. So far the plans I've found are very complicated. I want to get a rocker or two under my belt so I can have the general concept in hand so I can take a class at a woodworking school and at least have a little idea of what I'm getting into.

Any ideas - wait that's a dumb question.:D Let me rephrase that - please let me know your ideas. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Betsy

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-03-2004, 8:55 PM
Betsy, I have divested myself of all my old magazines, but over the years several popular woodworking mags have had good articles on simple porch rockers. I imagine you can check the imdexes of old magazines and come up with something. Perhaps someone with all the old magazines can help.

Joe Scarfo
10-03-2004, 9:28 PM
Betsy,

I don't have any rocker plans to offer but I do have a questions which may help someone to zero in on what you're looking for.

I've porch rockers in a few styles.

The single seater with true rockers.

The single seater that's actually more like a sliding chair.

The double seater that's the sliding style.

Are you looking for the classic rocker?

Thanks and good luck w/ the projcts.

Joe in Tampa

Betsy Yocum
10-03-2004, 9:45 PM
I'm thinking along the line of a single seater with true rockers - the type we used to sit on the porch way back when you waved at people who went by and knew their names (and their business):D . Good old fashioned, simple and sturdy.

Thanks for the ideas.